IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

OK, folks, I just knocked out 64,900 on the hardest setting--no small feat.

Here's what I've found out for strategy:

First, learn a pattern to the stages. I can't stress this enough. Stage 1 is pretty straightforward, but don't overlook the vine up there in the scoring section--it's useable.

In Stage 2, hold the stick right as the stage loads, jump onto the spring, then hesitate a split second before just walking onto the lower moving platform. From there, grab the right vine as it gets close to you, then drop onto the upper moving platform. Leave that platform by jumping to the left vine as it drops. It looks like you'll miss, but you won't. Push left when Junior gets as close as possible to the big vines on the left side of the screen.

On Stage 3, patterns are everything. Look out above when you jump, and don't forget you can jump backwards over the sparks as well as forward.

On Stage 4, play aggressive, and remember that Junior moves up faster on two vines, and down faster on only one vine.

You're stuck in the mysterious Enchanted Forest. All round you, mushrooms grow and creatures lurk. Suddenly, a spider moves closer, then a flea. Watch out for that scorpion! This time there is no one else to help you out of the forest. It's time to load you magic wand and start fighting back before you're trapped by the Centipede!

Game Information:

This week's game: Atari's own Centipede.

Controllers supported: ProLine Joystick, Atari joypad

Difficulty Switches: n/a

Game Mode: One player starting at zero points (standard)

NOTE: The Track Ball hack of this game wasn't included in this thread. I do not yet have permission from its author to use it in the HSC.

Scores may be posted in this thread until January 31st at approximately 10 PM Central Time.

Next week's game will be chosen from the following: Basketbrawl, Ikari Warriors, Pole Position II, and Summer Games.

Become a member of the 7800 High Score Competition simply by posting a score in this thread.

Current High Scores

1. Shawn Sr. 189,000

2. keilbaca 38,809

3. vdub_bobby 21,155

4. Almost Rice 16,398

5. Cybergoth ~11,000

6. Artlover 8,959

Shadow's first score of the week:

Member List (post a score to join!)

silver_surfer, keilbaca, Mind Game, birdie3, Cybergoth, jedijeff, video game addict, FireTiger, Mordax, RJ, keitaro, Almost Rice, Pac Man Plus, jwierer, Artlover, hanglyman, bfutrel, vdub_bobby, Goochman, Zylon Bane (?)

Magic tricks:

From the book:

Shoot away mushrooms in a straight line upwards to create a "corridor". When the Centipede reaches this gap, it will fall straight down and can be easily picked off.

Shoot Ceontipede heads to create new heads from the body segments left behind. since are worth ten times more than body segments, you'll score lots of points

Since the flea doesn't appear until you destroy most of the mushrooms near you, set up a mushroom shield to prevent this lightning fast pest from striking. To do that, don't shoot away mushrooms closest to your magic wand.

Each creature makes a distinct sound. Learn these sounds so you'll know without looking what is attacking and where it is.

Edited by shadow460

21155 for a first try.

post-6060-1138835955_thumb.png

Since the flea doesn't appear until you destroy most of the mushrooms near you, set up a mushroom shield to prevent this lightning fast pest from striking. To do that, don't shoot away mushrooms closest to your magic wand.

This tip seems a little suspect to me. I think StanJr's tips (for 2600 port, but still applicable) are perhaps better:

Tip: Keep the bottom area of the screen clean. The more mushrooms you allow to accumulate here, the more trouble you will have when the Centipede gets down there. Shoot them away every chance you get.

Tip: Build an aisle down the center of the screen. This can be accomplished by keeping your square near the center when the first few Centipedes appear. As you shoot the Centipede segments, they will leave behind mushrooms in a zigzag pattern forming a channel. Once this is done, the Centipedes will start following this path right into your line of fire. You can clear whole Centipedes in seconds this way.

Tip: Never let a segment get to the bottom of the screen. If it does, it will start to make its way back up and new segments will appear. This will be real bad news in higher levels.

Tip: Stay low! Even though you can move up one-third of the screen, it is often safer to stay low, that way you don’t get any nasty surprises from below!

Tip: Keep the sides clear of mushrooms. Segments can sneak down the side before you know it if there are too many mushrooms there. The more you can keep the mushrooms in the center of the screen the safer you will be.

There's more at the linky.

Edited by vdub_bobby

That's it, I'm making my cuttle cart 2 work tonight. I love this game, and that'll allow me to play this HSC more often.

or I can just play it now on rom...

EDIT: First try,

Hopefully my CC2 will be running tonight (I got the wires soldered, the MMC card holder/pins broke, so I soldered 7 wires to where the wires were. Tonight I'm going to superglue each wire to the MMC card, making it pernament. Hey, at least it works this way, hopefully).

no matter, if that doesn't work, I'm backing up whats on the card, and I got another mmc card I can use if I can get it fixed.

EDIT 2: Make that 38809.

post-4191-1138836997_thumb.jpg

post-4191-1138848293_thumb.jpg

Edited by keilbaca

My recommendation is to not worry about the flea. thos tips were taken from the book.

Anyway, to deal with the flea, just get under him and shoot. It's a couple of hundred points for little trouble.

Also, one of Ken Uston's books recommends shooting the spider at as close a range as possible to get the 900 point bonus.

Emulators are allowed. Any system, cart, emulator, etc. can be used as long as the actual ROM is the same as the one found in the rarity guide here. If you have the actual cart, the ROM should be the same as what's in the rarity guide.

For homebrews, the ROM to use will be announced, and it will be the one that game's author tells me is the final version.

For Double Dragon and Rampage, I'm assuming that most, if not all, the production carts have the exact same ROMs, so the ROM used must be the same as what's in the carts.

Another note: I can edit the first post in the previous week's thread. Although I'd like to keep this HSC focused on the current week, as long as the thread is sticky and I can edit the first post, I'll update the scoreboard.

That'll sort of separate us from the other HSC's, and hopefully give us something a little different to work with here.

I know we have a very large library of games to work through, so get playing, because there isn't much time to get them all played.

For those who are new, I usually add on or two of the runners up in each week's vote to the next week's list. I fill in the remaining slots with suggested games (if I have some) or random choices.

If there's a tie in the voting, the tie will be broken by a member, and I'll run that game the next week, followed by its runner up afterwards. Three and four way ties work the same, but we'll have a round of voting after the second game is run, then get to the other games, a couple of weeks later.

After a game is run, it won't be in the voting for 12 weeks after that. keilbaca ran a competition with Centipede right before this HSC, and this is the 13th week since that was started. In fact, that was the inspiration to re start this HSC.

Anyway, that's the scoop aside from the original thread, which is buried along with the basics here. It's pretty much the same as Ze_ro's HSC, but not as in depth.

Oh, as with Ze_ro's HSC, hints and tips are welcome.

my score is 189,000 (oh yeah baby). I can do ALOT better but just don't have the time. hopefully I can get a video sometime of my wife and I playing co-op mode. We get wicked crazy scores, good enough that we are going for the TG record eventually.

I almost forgot something:

Stan Jr's tip about clearing the bottom of the screen works on the 2600 version because the flea isn't in that one.

It still works here with a little added difficulty--you've got to be accurate when shooting the flea.

I'm not going to be on the scoreboard myself, but I may get in on this game a little bit. I've hit 45,449 on the standard mode--might try for more this weekend.

I haven't played this game much since I got it, so I probably missed out.

Edited by shadow460

I almost forgot something:

Stan Jr's tip about clearing the bottom of the screen works on the 2600 version because the flea isn't in that one.

There is a flea in the 2600 version!

post-6060-1138915030_thumb.png

1011539[/snapback]

My bad, I must have had too much to drink. I've got to lay off of that Dr Pepper.

Deep in the jungle, a few soldiers move about with total silence. Their mission is to rescue an expreienced Colonel who's been held captive by the enemy. The soldiers wait. The mission is planned. then the signal is given. All units are to rise up againt the enemy, and recover our leader at any cost.

You've been selected as one of the elite insertion team who will rescue the Colonel. You must succeed, even at the cost of your own life.

Such is the way of the Ikari Warriors!

Game Information:

This week's game: Atari's own Ikari Warriors.

Controllers supported: ProLine Joystick, Atari joypad

Difficulty Switches: n/a

Game Mode: One player standard

Scores may be posted in this thread until Feb 14th at approximately 10 PM Central Time.

Next week's game will be chosen from the following: , Meltdown, Pole Position II, Robotron: 2084, and Scrapyard Dog.

Become a member of the 7800 High Score Competition simply by posting a score in this thread.

Current High Scores

1. 54,800 Cybergoth

2. 6,500 vdub_bobby

3. 6,000 Artlover

Shadow's first score of the week:

To be Scored

Member List (post a score to join!)

silver_surfer, keilbaca, Mind Game, birdie3, Cybergoth, jedijeff, video game addict, FireTiger, Mordax, RJ, keitaro, Almost Rice, Pac Man Plus, jwierer, Artlover, hanglyman, bfutrel, vdub_bobby, Goochman, Zylon Bane (?)

Survival skills:

I've never played this one, either. Post your hints and help each other out!

General shoot 'em up tips:

Keep moving. If you bump the stick lightly in different directions, it'll keep the computer from learning that you move in a set pattern.

Try to keep a way out open at all times.

Edited by shadow460