IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC Rules of Play.

Atari5200

Hello all. I'm adding this topic so I basically don't have to repeat the rules in every round of the HSC, also, this topic can be used to discuss the rules themselves, make recommendations or suggestions regarding the rules and regulations.

Rule #1. However you can play the game is fine as long as you're playing the actual 7800 game and not a port or other version. This basically means the game must be played on actual 7800 hardware or an emulator that supports 7800 roms.

Rule #2. Default difficulty for each game, no easy unless it is the default setting.

Rule #3. Any controller scheme is fine.

Rule #4. Screen shots preferred but not required. Though I would like to see screen shots, they are not required, even myself, have a hard time getting screen shots when I'm trying to get a quick game in here or there.

Rule #5. Do not use any cheat/hack options. These include auto-fire, unlimited lives, invinciblity, etc. Also no continues. Only games started at the beginning count.

Rule #6. Please do not abuse bugs in the games!

Many Atari games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without much work

(An example of such "point scumming" in Asteroids, you can eliminate all but one small asteroid,

and then "hunt" UFO's without the level ending), or finish the game while skipping alot of the actual

content. Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores, but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process.

I'll try to point out "forbidden" tactics as i become aware of them,

but if you happen to stumble across one that i was not aware of, please let me know!

(Note: If a bug is proven to exist partway through the contest, existing scores may be removed if it can be proven that they have exploited the bug even if it was not intentional. If you have triggered the bug accidentally,

i would urge you to voluntarily remove your score and post a new one.)

Rule #7. Rolled The Score, Once someone gets good enough at a particular game, it's entirely possible

for them to play (for all intensive purposes) forever! On a number of weeks, we've run into a problem

that a number of people we're good enough to do this. The problem then is how to decide who get's

the #1 place. I don't want to force people to play a game for 10 hours straight just so they can

roll the score that one extra time to get a few extra points. I want people to enjoy the game, not

get sick of it. So, in the case that multiple people are skilled enough to roll the score, then thier

scores will just be listed as the maximum it can go before rolling, and everyone who does so will just

be tied for first place. The person with the highest score who didn't roll the score will be considered as 2nd place and so on.

However, even though you won't get any extra points for obscenely high scores, i highly encourage

you to record the game and send it to the people at Twin Galaxies. I'm sure they'd love to see it!

Rule #8. "Acting Champion" Disclaimer:

In the event the original champion or point leader is unable to fulfill his/hers duties as champion/ point leader, the person with the next highest point total will take over as champion and/or point leader.

Rule #9. Trash talking is encouraged as long as it is not over the top. No threatening remarks nor foul language will be tolerated, foul language being the f bomb, s bomb, etc, the real nasty stuff. Any thing I deem unacceptable will be deleted from the post. I I don't think this will ever be a problem.

Thats it for now.

Thanks guys

-Dave

Scoring for each round:

Accumulated points are garnered from what position a participant finalizes in on each round utilizing the same scoring formula as the 2600 HSC uses:

Highest Score: + 11 points

2nd Highest: + 10 points

3rd Highest: + 9 points

4th Highest: + 8 points

5th Highest: + 7 points

6th Highest: + 6 points

7th Highest: + 5 points

8th Highest: + 4 points

9th Highest: + 3 points

10th Highest: + 2 points

11th and onwards (Participating): + 1 point

Cannot Play List -

Klax - reason - scoring issue - game doesn't show final score!

Edited by roadrunner

• 4 years later...

Atari 5200,

Speaking about 7800 HSC Rules & Regulations, my suggestion is to add the Rule #10 - TIE BREAKER. This rule is based on Atari LYNX HSC Rules of Play.

"Rule # 10. Tie Breaker

In case of a tie in the overall point standings the champion will be decided by rounds/games won. Persisting a tie in the overall rounds/games won, the winner will be decided by Seasons won."

Remember the 7800 HSC champions: famicommander (1st Season), roadrunner (2nd Season), Mord (3rd Season), and Jifremok (4th Season).

Edited by oyamafamily

• 3 weeks later...

I have long doubted your skills, oyama, and now I see more suspicions from others rising to the surface. I have a feeling there's more to many of your scores that you'd like us to find out. You dodge the question, act like a BR?huehuehue gamer half the time, and never, ever seem to play games where save states wouldn't do you any good, always for the reason that you're "not interested in it". Is that it? I suspect more.

• 2 weeks later...