IGNORED

colecovision video problems

bah

I'm new to colecovision but I am trying to refurb a broken console. The unit boots to the main screen but the words and graphics are messed up. With a cartridge in (donkey kong) the sound is clear and you can see the game in demo mode, but can't play it.

The power switch is clean.

Any ideas or on-line service manuals out there?

Thanks

bah

I'm new to colecovision but I am trying to refurb a broken console. The unit boots to the main screen but the words and graphics are messed up. With a cartridge in (donkey kong) the sound is clear and you can see the game in demo mode, but can't play it.

Thanks

bah

Can you post a picture?

Does it boot to the garbled mess even with a cartridge out?

If it looks good with the cartridge out then suspect a dirty slot or cart.

If not, check the power supply, switch, and the 4116 DRAM ICs.

Raymond

Raymond,

Thanks for the reply. I have a second console that plays fine with the same power supply, so I ruled that out. Next I took the switch apart and cleaned it as well as unbent the contact sliders slightly for a good connection, but the problem persists.

The initial boot screen always looks the same or nearly so. The words are partly scrambled letters, mostly readable but a few are nonsense shapes. There is also a dark vertical line through each letter. Screen reads:

PORJ CAIA KBB

BABKRA IJSARPIJC CARPRI@CA

KR AXPAJSIKJ IK@QHA*

1982 CKHACK

I can't get a pic up tonight but perhaps you could guide me to locate and test the 4116 DRAM IC. Is this a common failure and are parts avialable?

Thanks again,

Brent

I checked my site and it says I'm out of those... I'll double-check inventory tonight and update the site.

Yes, the MM5290 and the D416 are the same as a generic 4116 part number.

Be careful when removing the old chip as you DO NOT want to lift a trace or pull out a plated thru hole.

Use some contact cleaner on the power switch and check the solder joints on the power switch. Mine I had to resolder the power joints and lubed the switch and now it works great. If that does not help, check and see if you can use another power source.

Thanks

bah