IGNORED

Vectrex a must for collectors?

VideoFever1982

If you enjoy showing off your collection to friends a Vec is a must have. Its the one thing in my vast collection that draws the eye of everyone, from kids to grandparents. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say the gameplay is must have but there are enough decent games to satisfy an arcade fix. More than any other system the homebrewers have really extended the appeal, its totally worth getting into that side of it if you do get one.

I've only seen a Vectrex in "real life" once. They are actually a very cool system if you like classic 80s arcade games. There are a few lousy games, but there are quite a few good ones and there's a great number of homebrews.

Take a look on eBay, you can usually find one in good working shape with a few commons for around $75.

I really like mine. I wanted one when they came out, but didn't get one until last year on Ebay. The only really annoying thing to me is I got mine with 8 games, but none of them had the overlays, and the overlays make a big difference to me.

I'm lucky that a friend of mine loaned me a bunch of games and overlays.

I have one and I would say it really depends on either your age or how much you like retro. If you have fond memories for (or an unusual interest in) vector graphics then the Vectrex is fantastic. No monitor can really replicate properly the magical glow look of an actual vector monitor. Playing classics like Asteroids, SpaceWar, BattleZone, Tempest, etc. on a standard raster monitor just doesn't come close to how the orignal image looked. If you're the kind of gamer that knows what I mean, you will love the Vectrex.

If you're on the fence, here's some things to consider:

1) They all make a buzzing noise. There was some grounding issue in their manufacture whereby the powersupply was not properly grounded and so there is always a background hum. There are sites that show you how to hack open the machine to properly ground it and reduce the buzzing noise, but just be aware this is a factor.

2) The monitor is black and white. The original games came with colored overlays to give you the illusion of playing a color game and they were very nice. However, finding games still with their original overlays might be difficult.

3) The controller is supposed to have a joystick handle to protect your thumb from the threaded shaft of the controller and if you get a Vectrex missing that cover it's going to hurt like the dickens. And replacements are hard to come by and/or expensive.

4) The roms are freely available to download, no legal concerns there, and on a flash cart you can store dozens of games so the entire library of titles can be easily got.

5) I don't think anyone repairs or sells vector monitors anymore.

With all that said though I think the Vectrex is an awesome machine.

With the advent of HD monitors, I've often tossed around the idea of making a repro vectrex console, sans monitor. While I know nothing can replace a vector monitor, an HD set could probably make an image that was very pleasing to the eye in its own way. The overlays could be fed in as bitmap images. Seems like it would be worthwhile, as there's an active homebrew community for Vectrex software, but a steadily shrinking supply of hardware.

The only thing holding me back from this project is that it would require more hardware knowledge than I currently have, and I know too many Vec purists would dismiss the idea of a non-vector monitor out-of-hand. :|

I love the vectrex....:D

I have a complete collection of games...+ some homebrew...usb cart, multicart, carry bag and lots of other cool stuff :P

In my opinion its the most obscure and weird looking system..

It will definitely catch the eye of everyone, as already mentioned, and in fact a lot of games are very good and really addictive...

I'd say it worths buying one if you are serious with your game system collection... ;)

I whole heartedly 100% agree with Plink.

I've been into retrograming for less than a year, but I have completely become obsessed with everything Vectrex. I started my own website and I now write articles on the Vectrex in Video Game Trader magazine (see http://www.videogametrader.com to read for free)

There's loads of binaries available for download (both the original games and some of the homebrews). The Vectrex user community although not large is still active (see http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.vectrex )which is not bad for a 25 year old machine. New software and hardware continues to be developed and sold. Most notable this year was Vectrexians - a most excellent version of Galaxian.

It is expected this year that VecOS which allows the user to write BASIC language programs and run them on the Vectrex will be released from RevivalStudios - this is going to make the Vectex accessible to even the modest of programmers - imagine being able to easily write programs employing Vector graphics!

Since the Vectrex is quite old, take care when you buy one, some are definitely better than others. Things to look out for are broken spring joysitcks - this means the stick won't centre, dim screens (ideally brightness control on back should not be turned fully to max - if they are, and the screen is dim, it means there is not too much life left in the CRT).

Can you tell I'm VectrexMad! ?

VectrexMad!

www.vectrex.co.uk

I whole heartedly 100% agree with Plink.

I've been into retrograming for less than a year, but I have completely become obsessed with everything Vectrex. I started my own website and I now write articles on the Vectrex in Video Game Trader magazine (see http://www.videogametrader.com to read for free)

There's loads of binaries available for download (both the original games and some of the homebrews). The Vectrex user community although not large is still active (see http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.vectrex )which is not bad for a 25 year old machine. New software and hardware continues to be developed and sold. Most notable this year was Vectrexians - a most excellent version of Galaxian.

It is expected this year that VecOS which allows the user to write BASIC language programs and run them on the Vectrex will be released from RevivalStudios - this is going to make the Vectex accessible to even the modest of programmers - imagine being able to easily write programs employing Vector graphics!

Since the Vectrex is quite old, take care when you buy one, some are definitely better than others. Things to look out for are broken spring joysitcks - this means the stick won't centre, dim screens (ideally brightness control on back should not be turned fully to max - if they are, and the screen is dim, it means there is not too much life left in the CRT).

Can you tell I'm VectrexMad! ?

VectrexMad!

www.vectrex.co.uk

I have bought and sold several, seem to average around $75 (not including shipping) for a decnt one with a working controller :)

Theres nothing wrong with really being into something you love. I've always been obsessed with the 5200 and now i'm really getting into this Turbo Duo/Turbografx 16 stuff. I'll definitley be getting a Vectrex. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Thanks for the advice!. So i should plan on spending around $75 then. Thats not bad. :)

I actually played a Vectrex system back in the 1980s, both at my local annual Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, MA in the Better Living Center, and at St. Vincent's Home in Fall River, MA. Fun system, but not something I'd want hanging around with me wherever I'm going to live.

The Vectrex was the first cartridge-based video game system that I bought new, right when they came out. I was convinced it was going to revolutionize the game industry and bought stock in Milton Bradley (eventually lost some of my money when it didn't). I later saw one for 20 bucks at the San Jose flea market in the early 90's, and bought it as a backup. Both still work, but the joysticks do wear out if you play a lot. I can ignore the buzzing, but need some music going.

I've always thought vector graphics games were the most fun in the arcades with their super-sharp graphics and ability to show continuous perspective at high speed (home raster-based consoles have only been able to do this within the last few years). My favorites include Rip Off, a GREAT two-player game, Mine Storm (the built-in game), and Armor Attack. Hyperchase is fun, also. Haven't tried any of the homebrews. On the other hand, these days I find I get tired of playing with it after a few hours and put it away for long periods of time.

As a collectible, the Vectrex is unique technology, it's portable and doesn't require a TV (although you do have to plug it in), and historically significant. The fact that no one makes vector graphics hardware anymore makes it even more interesting. Even $75 is a lot less than they cost new. I wouldn't even hesitate in getting one.

The Vectrex was the first cartridge-based video game system that I bought new, right when they came out. I was convinced it was going to revolutionize the game industry and bought stock in Milton Bradley (eventually lost some of my money when it didn't). I later saw one for 20 bucks at the San Jose flea market in the early 90's, and bought it as a backup. Both still work, but the joysticks do wear out if you play a lot. I can ignore the buzzing, but need some music going.

I've always thought vector graphics games were the most fun in the arcades with their super-sharp graphics and ability to show continuous perspective at high speed (home raster-based consoles have only been able to do this within the last few years). My favorites include Rip Off, a GREAT two-player game, Mine Storm (the built-in game), and Armor Attack. Hyperchase is fun, also. Haven't tried any of the homebrews. On the other hand, these days I find I get tired of playing with it after a few hours and put it away for long periods of time.

As a collectible, the Vectrex is unique technology, it's portable and doesn't require a TV (although you do have to plug it in), and historically significant. The fact that no one makes vector graphics hardware anymore makes it even more interesting. Even $75 is a lot less than they cost new. I wouldn't even hesitate in getting one.

Ahh, Milton Bradley. I couldn't remember who was responsible for the Vectrex. I'll get on as soon as i find one. Finding ones going to be the challenge.

3) The controller is supposed to have a joystick handle to protect your thumb from the threaded shaft of the controller and if you get a Vectrex missing that cover it's going to hurt like the dickens. And replacements are hard to come by and/or expensive.

HUH? Do you have a picture of this contraption?

:)

Thanks

Ahh, Milton Bradley. I couldn't remember who was responsible for the Vectrex. I'll get on as soon as i find one. Finding ones going to be the challenge.

Not really...

Hell... I even have one for sale with games. :)