IGNORED

Vectrex a must for collectors?

VideoFever1982

Haven't tried any of the homebrews.

On the other hand, these days I find I get tired of playing with it after a few hours and put it away for long periods of time.

I am dying to try out Thrust for the Vectrex. I will be getting that homebrew soon.

I sadly agree with the last statement. I end up putting it away after a bit. I find it harder and harder to justify keeping the 3d Headset and stuff when it is just sitting there for months. Maybe I should break out the credit card and grab those prototypes on ebay right now. LOL That would renew my interest!

Theres 2 mint Vectrex systems with several games for sale at a gameshop i go to,still debating if i should get one, i'm no fan of vector graphics.If i got one it would just be for collectors status.I'll find out how much he wants this weekend for them,thats if they're still there.

Theres 2 mint Vectrex systems with several games for sale at a gameshop i go to,still debating if i should get one, i'm no fan of vector graphics.If i got one it would just be for collectors status.I'll find out how much he wants this weekend for them,thats if they're still there.

wow thats great. i wish i could find a store that has em.

I can find lot of classics in the pawn shops here, but they charge top dollar and then some). Example: I saw a 2600 Jr with about 20 carts (no boxes or manuals) the other day. Asking price: $199...

It's been sitting in that pawn shop for a couple of years. No suckers yet.

I can find lot of classics in the pawn shops here, but they charge top dollar and then some). Example: I saw a 2600 Jr with about 20 carts (no boxes or manuals) the other day. Asking price: $199...

It's been sitting in that pawn shop for a couple of years. No suckers yet.

Uh huh,the key word here is"YET".Someone will eventually buy it,only a matter of time,and sellers KNOW IT QUITE WELL,thats one of the reasons prices go up,true especially for EBAY.

I received some 5200 games that I ordered at work about a month ago. I showed them to a coworker and that started off a conversation about old video games, and she then proceeded to ask me if I had or played a Vectrex. I was so shocked that she knew what it was. I must admit I've never given the Vectrex any sort of thought, I didn't like the idea that it had it's own monitor and you just couldn't plug it in to any TV. Although from the sounds of this conversation, I might just have to try them on an emulator since I've never even played a game with vector graphics.

I received some 5200 games that I ordered at work about a month ago. I showed them to a coworker and that started off a conversation about old video games, and she then proceeded to ask me if I had or played a Vectrex. I was so shocked that she knew what it was. I must admit I've never given the Vectrex any sort of thought, I didn't like the idea that it had it's own monitor and you just couldn't plug it in to any TV. Although from the sounds of this conversation, I might just have to try them on an emulator since I've never even played a game with vector graphics.

You'll like them once you try them. First thing that comes to my mind is Asteroids and Tempest.

No... no.... no....

This is one system where emulation just does not cut it. It is awesome to turn out the lights in the room and watch the trail of your ship cross the screen. Vector lines on this machine is amazing. It can't be emulated like the real thing. It really cant.

Check out some videos if you get the chance. There is one somewhere with the Thrust Homebrew. Really really cool. Amazing, fun gameplay.

Star Castle

Polar Rescue...

and a few others I can't think of right now

are really cool games.

A lot of the homebrews are great as well.

No... no.... no....

This is one system where emulation just does not cut it. It is awesome to turn out the lights in the room and watch the trail of your ship cross the screen. Vector lines on this machine is amazing. It can't be emulated like the real thing. It really cant.

Check out some videos if you get the chance. There is one somewhere with the Thrust Homebrew. Really really cool. Amazing, fun gameplay.

Star Castle

Polar Rescue...

are really cool games.

I found the Vectrex Thrust video, but I'll have to wait till I get home to watch it since I'm at work. Although I haven't been able to dedicate a chunk of time to playing Vectrex on MESS I did check out a few games just to see what they look like and although they looked different from anything I've seen I wasn't completely blown away. Then I saw a clip of the Angry Video Game Nerd playing Star Trek on the Vectrex and it looked completely different. It was full of bright colors and smooth animation. Definitely cooler that what I've seen on MESS.

I wanted to test some games out on emulation just to get a feel for the gameplay since the Vectrex is an expensive proposition and completely new to me.

As far as I'VE SEEN,emulation has Never been %100 like the original.Theres nothing that can duplicate putting an actual cartridge in an actual console.But emulation is better than nothing (in most cases)I think as the years go by, less and less consoles,or less and less cartridge games there will be,due to wear,loss,etc,emulation will be the next best thing.Its always something missing or inaccurate like game sounds.I have one of those Atari stiks with the games built in that plugs directly in your tv,some game sounds arent even there or are TOTALLY different,still VERY cool to have,but not the same as the actual console cartridge setup. :)

Edited by Rik

I agree. Vector Graphics have a completely different feel than raster graphics, even the latest super-high resolution. If you ever get a chance to play some coin-op vector games in an arcade, be sure and do so (Star Wars, Tail Gunner, Tempest, Asteroids, Space War, Rip Off are all really good games).

On the Vectrex, Armor Ambush, Space War, and Rip Off are really great two player games, but require two controllers to play (Rip Off has a one player mode, but it's not that fun by yourself). Unfortunately, controllers cost a lot, but an extra one is worth it if you'll be showing your Vectrex to friends.

I agree. Vector Graphics have a completely different feel than raster graphics, even the latest super-high resolution. If you ever get a chance to play some coin-op vector games in an arcade, be sure and do so (Star Wars, Tail Gunner, Tempest, Asteroids, Space War, Rip Off are all really good games).

On the Vectrex, Armor Ambush, Space War, and Rip Off are really great two player games, but require two controllers to play (Rip Off has a one player mode, but it's not that fun by yourself). Unfortunately, controllers cost a lot, but an extra one is worth it if you'll be showing your Vectrex to friends.

Wasn't Battlezone a vector game as well?

Yep... Battlezone was a vector game. I sucked at it, but always liked standing up on a stool and looking into the scope or whatever in order to play that game. I actually played that game and the sit down star wars at a place where all games were just one penny (yep... it was called the penny arcade) at an amusement park. Those were the days....

No... no.... no....

Star Castle

Polar Rescue...

are really cool games.

I found the Vectrex Thrust video, but I'll have to wait till I get home to watch it since I'm at work. Although I haven't been able to dedicate a chunk of time to playing Vectrex on MESS I did check out a few games just to see what they look like and although they looked different from anything I've seen I wasn't completely blown away. Then I saw a clip of the Angry Video Game Nerd playing Star Trek on the Vectrex and it looked completely different. It was full of bright colors and smooth animation. Definitely cooler that what I've seen on MESS.

I wanted to test some games out on emulation just to get a feel for the gameplay since the Vectrex is an expensive proposition and completely new to me.

I never even knew what the Vec was... until I went to a gaming convention around 5 years ago.

I played it for the first time and INSTANTLY fell in love with it. I thought it was the coolest thing there and promptly went home and bought one from ebay. And then traded for one here. I believe I got it from Crazy Climber. :)

I ended up selling it off with around 20+ games, and then re-bought everything later on when I found a deal with 20+ games all boxed.

Now I have almost everything. (aside from homebrews... and vecflash. I need one of those).

point of the post: try one out in person first, and you will see its charm! :)

Edited by EricDeLee