IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 3 " b*nQ "

Atari5200

Hello Hello, once again, time for another 7800 HSC competition. This time we are going to stray from commercial releases and go with a homebrew.

This months competition is B*nQ, the Q-bert homebrew.

SCREEN SHOT

s_bonQ_SP_4.png

Competition will end on 10-26-2008 So lets get cracking and get that high score!!!

LEADER BOARD: Updated 1:37pm est.

ratfink: 1068095

Allan: 402825

AtariFever: 59165

HammeR25: 59125

Darthkur:49185

Suaiden: 16405

gdement: 14420

Edited by Atari5200

Maybe 2 hours? The game doesn't get any harder after level 7 or so. It's just more of the same and the extra lives start adding up.

Just like the arcade :)

Are you also able to play on expert level indefinitely?

I really wanted to add FHMC b*nQ options but that would have taken longer.

I guess on expert I could have kept ramping up stuff even though the arcade doesn't. Or at least started killing off the number of discs.

I think one of the harder levels is the first level with black sided cubes with only two discs.

I think one of the harder levels is the first level with black sided cubes with only two discs.

That's my "make or break" level. It either takes too many of my lives and I die the next time I make a mistake, or I come through with all lives intact and roll on through level 3.

Maybe 2 hours? The game doesn't get any harder after level 7 or so. It's just more of the same and the extra lives start adding up.

Just like the arcade :)

Are you also able to play on expert level indefinitely?

I really wanted to add FHMC b*nQ options but that would have taken longer.

I guess on expert I could have kept ramping up stuff even though the arcade doesn't. Or at least started killing off the number of discs.

Fewer discs is a good idea. Maybe even no discs at all by level 20 or so. I think I ended up at level 25 or so? Lost count. It stops counting at 9, of course. A pattern also develops at some point: first a red ball, then the green color-reversing guy, then Coily and then the two purple guys show up in the opposite corners. So you know who's coming and when and you can be prepared for them.

By the way, is it odd that I prefer the 2600 "board finish" music. Q-Bert 2600 was the first game I ever bought for myself as a kid, and I loved it. I think the 2600 music ending on the up note just sounds better than the more complicated ending at the end of the 7800 (and I assume arcade) version.

Edited by Atarifever

post-5182-1223532753_thumb.png

Did a lot better this time, but the end was frustrating.

I got to the first level with black blocks. After losing some lives I was 2 hops away from beating the level. And I jumped off the maze instead.

I've always hated the controls in this game (at least the home versions anyway). The arcade is probably just as awkward, but I've never played it.

I get it right 99% of the time, but it only takes 1 mistake to die.

The whole concept of Q-Bert should have been made rectangular, but I guess it wouldn't have looked as cool.

Edited by gdement

I figured it out alright. I see what the earlier poster meant about it being too easy. I could have played forever. However, there was level 7-1. See, I'm colour blind, and two of the colours there (including, sadly, the "change to" colour) look the same to me. It's nearly impossible for me to distinguish if all the blocks are the right colour, and so I ended up dying a lot while going through trial and error. I lost my entire bank of lives but one on that level, so I doubt you guys will see me topping this score as 7-1 will always kill me off. :(

post-5952-1224005068_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atarifever