IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 3 " b*nQ "

Atari5200

I figured it out alright. I see what the earlier poster meant about it being too easy.

Well, whatever "it" is it seems to be eluding me. Is everyone playing on the standard setting or easy? I'm using the default "standard" and it sure doesn't seem too easy. :|

I figured it out alright. I see what the earlier poster meant about it being too easy.

Well, whatever "it" is it seems to be eluding me. Is everyone playing on the standard setting or easy? I'm using the default "standard" and it sure doesn't seem too easy. :|

I'll tell you the secret... right after the HSC is over. :) As I said, this will probably be my top score, so I can't go giving away secrets.

Nah, I'll be a nice guy, seeing as how I probably just played my last game of Q-Bert (knowing there's an impassable physiological barrier in your way makes playing seem depressingly futile).

Here's my four tip system:

1) Play around in the first few boards for awhile. Just waste time there waiting for the Snake guy to come out and chase you. Get used to avoiding him on the slow speed so you'll know how to control him at the higher speeds.

2) Don't ever play the "see how many times I can trick Snakey off the platforms" game. It's pointless. You get WAY more points (and free lives) living to see the 5000 point boards. The minor amount of points for tricking the Snake aren't worth the risk, and besides, later on you can get him to chase you off on the million floating discs in the later levels that you end up just using as a matter of course.

3)Don't chase the green ball or the guy who changes block colours. If you happen into them good, if not, you'll only regret it because it'll make you make a mistake. Besides, later on the guy changing block colours is more useful than annoying (sometimes you pretty much need him to change some colours for you, so just learn to deal with him).

4) Do the corners (the corner area, not just the final corner block) first. It makes the game a lot easier.

Edited by Atarifever

REMINDER: HSC rules state that the game must be played on default settings OR higher, never lower. As I have no way of enforcing this rule, I do rely on everyone being honest. Thanks.

We're a good group, so I doubt this would be a problem.

It seemed like after awhile the purple things from the bottom quit coming out. I got to level 5 and kind of got distracted and bored because earlier levels actually seemed harder. That killed me a couple of times. I guess I just never played that other hozer jumping game enough as a kid to get to this point.

It seemed like after awhile the purple things from the bottom quit coming out. I got to level 5 and kind of got distracted and bored because earlier levels actually seemed harder. That killed me a couple of times. I guess I just never played that other hozer jumping game enough as a kid to get to this point.

I remember Q-Bert being harder as a kid too. I picked up a copy of the Red Lable 2600 one, and when I get off this latest road trip, I'm going to see if I can play that one to boredom or colour blindness as well. It's funny that board 2-4 is probably the hardest board in the entire game.

Edited by Atarifever

Later boards kind of get tedious more than harder IMO. You do have the problem of the color changing back to the first when you jump on it after it is the final color, and you do have the green guys changing the colors on you a lot but there is usually enough discs around to let you eventually clear it. The arcade does offer a harder difficulty option but it offers a different order of board progression (round 2 is like level 2 in how you have to jump on the cubes for instance)

I agree 2-4 is one of the harder boards in the arcade and in b*nQ.

I probably should have started nuking discs on the later levels (after 9), or made some levels with lots of bad guys being released at once.

Does expert mode make the game any more difficult?

Maybe we need a FHMC b*nQ?

Atarifever, Are you playing on an emulator, playing the real cart, or on a CC2?

Do you have a CC2?

Playing the real cart. I don't have a CC2. I also have a 7800 emulator on this laptop for gaming when I'm out of town, but otherwise I'm a real cart guy.

Edited by Atarifever

I probably should have started nuking discs on the later levels (after 9), or made some levels with lots of bad guys being released at once.

Maybe we need a FHMC b*nQ?

Add a "black, white, gray, and checkered" option (or an "everything is street light colours" option), to go with the harder difficulty and I'd buy it for sure.

By the way, this isn't the only game to ever give me colour issues. PacMan always gives me problems (including PMC). I can tell Inky and Clyde, but the other two look the same to me unless they're side by side and I can make the comparison of them to each other (and even then, I can only just see they are different, not tell which is which). They are supposed to behave differently, especially during games of chicken, but I can never play the odds game with them, because I don't know who I'm playing it with.

Edited by Atarifever

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but I really hate the controlls. Needs diagonals!!!!! U/D/L/R don't cut it. :|

You have the option of NW, NE, SW, SE instead.

I never noticed that. But after playing with the buttons, I see you can do that by pushing Pause.

Rotating the controller doesn't work with me, my mind just rotates with it. The diagonal scheme is a great addition. Awesome.

Final High Scores:

1st: ratfink - 1,068,095 +11

2nd: Allan - 402,825 +10

3rd: Atarifever - 161,155 +9

4th: HammR25 - 119,035 +8

5th: darthkur - 49,185 +7

6th: gdement - 25,290 +6

7th: suaiden - 16,405 +5

8th: Artlover - 2,050 +4

Congratulations to ratfink for the astronomically high score!

Edited by darthkur

Final High Scores:

3rd: HammR25 - 119,035 +9

4th: Atarifever - 59,165 +8

I have a higher score than that one. Last post on page 1.

Edited by Atarifever

Final High Scores:

3rd: HammR25 - 119,035 +9

4th: Atarifever - 59,165 +8

I have a higher score than that one. Last post on page 1.

My apologies. I didn't notice that. I'm used to looking at the top of each post for the actual score. I didn't see yours was just in the screenshot. I updated everything. Thanks for alerting me to my mistake.

Edited by darthkur

My apologies. I didn't notice that. I'm used to looking at the top of each post for the actual score. I didn't see yours was just in the screenshot. I updated everything. Thanks for alerting me to my mistake.

No problem. In future, I'll list it up top as well.

No problem. In future, I'll list it up top as well.

That sounds great, thanks. The ole' eyeballs don't work as well as they used to. :P