IGNORED

Legendary Wings - Season 4 Week 10

vdub_bobby

Enough running and jumping across a checkerboard landscape - let's have some shootin'! Yes, it's time to play Legendary Wings!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point. No continues - only games played from the beginning count!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

This week's competition ends in a week on Thursday (October 9th) at approximately noon PST.

This week's scores:

716,000 vdub_bobby (+10 pts)

177,700 darthkur (+8 pts + 1 pt for best tip ;))

34,700 LarcenTyler (+6 pts)

22,500 Wickeycolumbus (+4 pts)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

4,921,000 Scott Kessler

2,466,000 Stephen Krogman

44,500 Misty Kazimer

Standings

1. darkthur (66 pts)

2. Wickeycolumbus (52 pts)

3. LarcenTyler (35 pts)

4. vdub_bobby (24 pts)

5. aikainnet (20 pts)

6. RJ (14 pts)

7. atari2600land (10 pts)

8. Atari5200 (8 pts)

9. Shannon (4 pts)

9. Jibbajaba (4 pts)

9. gdement (4 pts)

Game Info

Coin-op released in 1986 by Capcom, ported to the NES in 1988 by Capcom as well.

Other platforms: None

Prequels/sequels/spinoffs: None.

Tips

darthkur:

Fire your primary weapon as fast as possible since just about all the enemies take more than one hit to destroy. Bomb all of the base cannons since they create a "bullet hell" environment. And most importantly go down into the underground levels by flying into the gray colored swirls expelled by certain objects, i.e. the huge head and at least one of the land based batteries. The "head" bonus level will give you a few different enemies to kill and a minor boss battle at the end. The subterranean level found by destroying one of the small gun turrets reveals a treasure trove of goodies.
Edited by vdub_bobby

post-10357-1223472474_thumb.png

This game makes Gradius seem easy at times, with seemingly indestructible foes and few and far between power-ups.

Tips for this game would be: Fire your primary weapon as fast as possible since just about all the enemies take more than one hit to destroy. Bomb all of the base cannons since they create a "bullet hell" environment. And most importantly go down into the underground levels by flying into the gray colored swirls expelled by certain objects, i.e. the huge head and at least one of the land based batteries. The "head" bonus level will give you a few different enemies to kill and a minor boss battle at the end. The subterranean level found by destroying one of the small gun turrets reveals a treasure trove of goodies.

:D :D

Mad props to darthkur here, I didn't realize that you could go underground via the gray swirls. Much like Gradius, once you lose your powerups at the higher levels it is pretty much impossible to get them back and the rest of your game is brutally short - but, unlike Gradius, one hit doesn't kill you (if you have any powerups) and doesn't take away all your upgrades.

So, I got the highest upgrade by the end of the 1st level and rode that all the way through to the 7th level before losing my powerups and several lives. I struggled on for another level before losing my last guy in the 8th level. The 1st-4th levels are all pretty similar, actually, it doesn't get appreciably harder until the 5th level and then it doesn't let up.

I'm not a big fan of these kind of shooters, that don't really allow for comebacks - once you lose your weapon upgrades you're toast - but it can be a fun ride if you get the upgrades early!

post-6060-1223530153_thumb.jpg

Hey, where's my bonus point for the "best tip" that help the competition quadruple my high score? :D

Honestly, I'm glad to see it helped. Did you find many more of those treasure rooms? The one I found had an ancient Egyptian theme and was filled with pharaoh's masks and various hieroglyphs. All worth quite a few points.

Hey, where's my bonus point for the "best tip" that help the competition quadruple my high score? :D

Honestly, I'm glad to see it helped. Did you find many more of those treasure rooms? The one I found had an ancient Egyptian theme and was filled with pharaoh's masks and various hieroglyphs. All worth quite a few points.

Forgot about that bonus point! I'll add it back in...

Yeah, it seems that there is one treasure room per vertically-scrolling level; they all have the same layout though the position of the treasures is different.

Those treasure rooms are where the points are at, really - ~100K per room. :o

• 6 years later...