IGNORED

BLL carts...

EricDeLee

What exactly are they... what do they do... etc ?

I've got a few games with BLL (alpine and I can't think of the other...)

Just trying to figure out what it is.

I know it has to do with developing... or something. But don't really understand it I guess.

What can my Alpine Cart do for me... with BLL being on the option menu?

So... if I was to program a game, or grab a rom off of the internet, I could download it to the lynx through the serial/comlynx cable andplay that rom on the lynx through the Alpine Games cart?

Am I understanding that correctly?

And the Comlynx cord would work?

No thats not correct.

You can load gamefiles with max RAM Size load to the lynx. You cannot load a complete ROM-File to the Lynx. Its nice to test minigames or function when coding. But its not for playing ROM-Files.

Greatings Matthias

Can anyone give me a file to use as an example? :)

I'd like to try this out.... strike that. Don't know how to connect Comlynx to my laptop. lol

(Alpine Games Sidenote: Damn... I just played what I thought was a perfect game in Biathlon. Yet... on Duranik's high score chart... there are scores nearly 4 seconds BETTER than mine. WOW! I didn't miss a shot and hit the part I'm supposed to hit with every stroke. I guess I have to find a better approach )

Edited by EricDeLee

I'd like to try this out.... strike that. Don't know how to connect Comlynx to my laptop. lol

You'll need an rs232->5V adapter, this schematic should work

post-7941-1223207325_thumb.png

Or you can buy the DLP Design - DLP-TxRx-G USB - Serial Adapter from FTDI online shop.

post-2099-1223213825_thumb.jpg

I am using that one today and it works just great.

You can solder the ComLynx socket pins for data and gnd directly to the module.

--

Karri

This BLL download technique is not only for minigames. Any game that does not use the cart during play can be downloaded into RAM using this technique.

For developers this is a nice tool. You can test your code on a real Lynx in a few seconds instead of waiting many minutes for burning it on a cart.

Matthias Domin even created a technique for beaming over your game to another Lynx by using this BLL-downloader.

Currently I have some BLL-compatible games that never made it to a cart like Jellybeans.

By adding an encrypted loader, directory and a title screen you can turn a BLL game into a cart.

--

Karri