IGNORED

7800 Super Pac-Man - I found the bug!

PacManPlus

Thanks again everyone :)

Looking good!A few other things I noticed..in the arcade, when the ghosts stop and spazz out,doesn't the siren music sometimes stop for a sec?It would be kool if the last item you ate to clear the board didn't cancel out the sound effect so you could hear the 'wakawaka' at the end.And I had one of the ghosts go down in between the star prize/slot machine area.I didn't think they could go down in the arcade ,but I may be wrong.Hope you don't mind the observations :sad:

I don't mind at all! You reminded me of some things I have overlooked. All of the issues you mentioned have been fixed. :)

OK, in this latest build I noticed that on the hamburger level the gates directly above the "Super Pill" didn't open when you ate the key. Is it supposed to be like that? I'm not familiar enough with the arcade version to know.

Mitch

Hey Mitch - as Trebor pointed out, the doors that the keys open do change every few boards. That was a bit of a pain; I had to go through the entire game (up until the point where it starts repeating) writing down which keys affect which doors. :-/

Bug/Problem...Stage 13 "Bells"...I unlocked a Gate at one side of the tunnel. The other side of the tunnel the gate was still locked. I went through the tunnel as 'regular' Pac-Man and broke thru the gate on the other side. Obviously breaking thru the gate should be a job for Super Pac-Man only :D

-Trebor

Oops :ponder: This was fixed.

Also, I believe the #2 issue from the first post (parts of monsters left behind when traveling up) should not happen any more (I kind of cheated, but it works). Please let me know if you still see it.

I also revisited the 'Slot Machine' sound. Should be closer to the arcade now.

BIG NOTE*** The BIN is back to 32K now. In your CCII, please change the 48K to 32K and you should be fine.

Release Candidate 1 is attached to the first post.

Thanks!

Bob

Cool. For all without a CCII and cannot play on the real thing [yet] ;) remember the ProSystem emulator has the better colors/video emulation, and MESS has the better sound emulation.

Hopefully, Prosystem will be updated with better sound emulation and MESS video/color emulation will be improved as well.

Thankfully, there appears many who can play and test on the real thing. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them :P

Keep up the fantastic work, Bob! :cool:

-Trebor

Curiosity question...It makes no difference to me either way...

Are you shooting for the closest Arcade port possible for both graphics and sound? Or just sound? If for both, why is the player's score in such a large font as opposed to a more ‘Arcade’ looking one? Is it a technical limitation? Or did you just want it that way? Or (some other reason)?

Again, it makes no difference to me, just when I came across your statement "closer to the arcade" it made the score font appearance stand out to me.

Thanks in advance for the insight!

-Trebor

Oh,man STILL awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A couple more observations (sorry......)When I eat a ghost inside the ghost house,the eyes go up and out of the house,then return back in.I think the arcade,the eyes just grab another ghost suit and head out the house.Another thing,it might have been the version I was playing (the Midway version),but the ghosts eyes travel through doors instead of turning around at the dead end of a door....again maybe it was the version I played............This is awesome though!!!!!

Thanks again everyone :)

Oh,man STILL awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A couple more observations (sorry......)When I eat a ghost inside the ghost house,the eyes go up and out of the house,then return back in.I think the arcade,the eyes just grab another ghost suit and head out the house.Another thing,it might have been the version I was playing (the Midway version),but the ghosts eyes travel through doors instead of turning around at the dead end of a door....again maybe it was the version I played............This is awesome though!!!!!

Thanks :) I had to make the eyes go to their 'home' which is just outside the monster pen. It was the only way I could get it to work. As far as the eyes going through the doors, Is that a MAME bug thing or did it do that in the arcade as well? I can't see that being purposely done :-/

Kenfused actually pointed out to me that this is the only version of the game where the 'eyes' will turn blue on their way back to the pen if you eat another energizer! (Here I did make them do that, but only until they reach the pen. The time between the eyes reach the top point of the pen and they turn back into monsters once inside they won't turn blue).

Thanks again!

@Trebor: I made the score larger because a few people complained about Pac-Man Collection's score being too small. Being this was started with the same core, I wanted to make sure it was noticeable. Funny thing you should mention about the score font not being 'Arcade-Like', as I started with the standard Namco numerical arcade font, and trimmed a column of pixels off of it to it wouldn't look so wide. :P

@Tupin: Pac-Man Plus is the game in Pac-Man Collection with 'Plus' mode turned on. This is 'Super Pac-Man' :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

I gotta say, while this conversion is amazing, what REALLY makes it, IMHO, is how incredibly close the sound is to the original. This is NOT with a POKEY, right? You're just using the A7800 native sound?? If so, it shows really how great that little chip could be with clever programming...

Hi Bob,

Just a couple of observations.

NTSC- I notice that the score graphic is unstable with a few pixels randomly floating around as if the channel is not tuned in, but I am using s-video. It may be because I am using a PAL/multi-standard tv. Anyone else notice this?

Also I had to give it a go on a PAL 7800, several problems from the get go. Speed is really slow, can't see the top 1/3rd of the screen. Randomly crashes. (not a complaint, I know that it is not intended to work on a PAL system right now)