IGNORED

7800 Super Pac-Man - I found the bug!

PacManPlus

Thanks guys! :) It's coming soon... as soon as I know it's finished.

@Mimo: I've seen that on the CCII. But believe it or not, that doesn't happen on an actual eprom cart. (Don't know why). I'll still try and figure it out, because it is a little annoying.

Yeah - I think this one is going to give me a hard time for PAL land, with me re-writing the kernel and all. I'll do the standard 'add 50 lines' to it and see what happens...

Thanks!

Bob

If you had been working for Atari back then, maybe the 7800 would have been more sucessful. Your conversions are absolutely amazing! Between your work on the 7800 and Opcode on the Colecovision, gamers can finally have the true 'arcade at home' experience!

Tempest

@Mimo: I've seen that on the CCII. But believe it or not, that doesn't happen on an actual eprom cart. (Don't know why). I'll still try and figure it out, because it is a little annoying.

Interesting. I've noticed that on my CC2 as well. However, I figure if it really bothers someone enough they can just give you money for the cart. :lol:

Hey,it's me again. I noticed a couple more things,hope you don't mind........... :sad: I just played it on MAME and noticed that when a ghost is eaten,the eyes are squished when PacMan is Super and normal when Pac is small.And I'm not sure how this is triggered,but when the siren music speeds up from the all fruit almost eaten,I think its when both Blinky and Pinky go across the slot machine area under the ghost house (where they slow down)the siren music momentarily slows back to normal speed until they go through the area.Hope it helps a little..........U ROCK!!!!! :love:

Edited by Breakpack

If you had been working for Atari back then, maybe the 7800 would have been more sucessful. Your conversions are absolutely amazing! Between your work on the 7800 and Opcode on the Colecovision, gamers can finally have the true 'arcade at home' experience!

Tempest

Wow - thanks for the compliment :)

Hey,it's me again. I noticed a couple more things,hope you don't mind........... :sad: I just played it on MAME and noticed that when a ghost is eaten,the eyes are squished when PacMan is Super and normal when Pac is small.And I'm not sure how this is triggered,but when the siren music speeds up from the all fruit almost eaten,I think its when both Blinky and Pinky go across the slot machine area under the ghost house (where they slow down)the siren music momentarily slows back to normal speed until they go through the area.Hope it helps a little..........U ROCK!!!!! :love:

Unfortunately I don't have enough sprite space to do the 'squished' eyes, I figured that was the least needed out of all the objects. :(

Regarding the siren, I did change this now, but he best I could do was only check if Blinky was in that zone.

@Almost Rice - thanks :) ... and I didn't forget you ;)

Thanks, Mimo, Mayhem, and Gambler172 for testing PAL for me.

Update (RC2):

• I like this Slot Machine sound. I think this one's a keeper.
  • The Slot Machine sound will now resume after eating a monster.
  • I fixed the 'unstable pixels' in the score font.
  • The Siren now slows down again when Blinky is in the 'slow down' area just below the monster pen.
  • THE HIGH SCORE CART LOGO COLOR IS FIXED!!!!!

The first post has been updated. Let me know!

Thanks, everyone

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

[*]THE HIGH SCORE CART LOGO COLOR IS FIXED!!!!!

So what were you missing with that? Just curious.

Allan

Confucius say: Never wait for Vertical Blank when performing the lower DLI for the High Score Cart :D

I think you should print this out in an asian-looking font and put it on the top part of your monitor. :)

Allan

I noticed a minor thing today.

Playing the Arcade version, I can clear the lower left hand side of keys and make my over to the the lower right hand of the screen and Inky is barely coming out from home, Clyde is still inside the home.

In you port Bob, Inky is out of home and already down the right hand side of the screen and Clyde is already leaving home by the time I'm over to the right side.

I've attached a bunch of screenshots is my explanation was not clear - hopefully the shots will clear things up:

7800:

post-18-1224024814_thumb.pngpost-18-1224024817_thumb.png

post-18-1224024820_thumb.pngpost-18-1224024824_thumb.png

post-18-1224024828_thumb.pngpost-18-1224024832_thumb.png

Arcade:

post-18-1224024636_thumb.pngpost-18-1224024643_thumb.png

post-18-1224024649_thumb.pngpost-18-1224024656_thumb.png

post-18-1224024664_thumb.pngpost-18-1224024671_thumb.png

post-18-1224024680_thumb.pngpost-18-1224024688_thumb.png

Again, it is a minor thing and it makes your port more challenging then the Arcade! However, I did not know whether or not this would matter to you, so I brought it up for you to decide.

-Trebor

@Underball - thank you for the kind words :)

@Trebor - thank you also, for the detailed explanation, although I think I will keep it as is. It seems my port is somewhat easier than the arcade (I could get to stages I never could before in the arcade) so this may tip the balance a little back toward the center. - IMHO

Thanks again.

That being said, I have fixed the 'monsters going through side doors' issue, and the first post has been updated.

Bob

That being said, I have fixed the 'monsters going through side doors' issue, and the first post has been updated.

Bob

Is this the one where they are above the tunnels and sort of float down over the tunnels and end up on the bottom of the tunnels? I just saw that one for the first time a little earlier today and I'm assuming that's what you are referring to.

Now to download the new version. :)

Mitch

When you lose your last life and the end game music plays does any one else have a problem with the last bit of sound clipping a bit when it switches to the high score screen?

Mitch

Yes it does the same thing. It sounds like the music it's trying to play when you get a new high score in the top 5 stutters. Otherwise it doesn't play that extra music and sounds fine.

I can't tell you how awesome this is!There is a small notice,but it might not be a big deal at all.I dont know the level you want the arcade vs 7800 being close.When the siren music is at its fastest,it seems to be slow when the ghosts retreat to their corners,but when they spazz out and return to chasing you,it will be at the fast siren speed again.You nailed the slow siren playing as Blinky goes under the ghost house.Still,if this was put on cart now,it would be the best 7800 game out there!Incredible!

Tempest

PCP would have fit right in with GCC. I think they had a reputation for pumping out quality games quickly.

Tempest

PCP would have fit right in with GCC. I think they had a reputation for pumping out quality games quickly.

Well, that would definitely explain why GCC didn't include a good sound chip in the Atari 7800. Oh, you mean Pac-Man Plus, not PCP the mind-altering drug! Never mind!

Seriously, though, this is a pretty sweet conversion. The sound effects are passable considering the miserable sound processor inside the 7800, but you might want to think about including a mute option just in case. Everything else is sterling, though... I don't think Atari itself could have done any better.

One final thought: Have there been any 7800 homebrews which used the POKEY chip?