IGNORED

JAGUAR HSC - November - Trevor McFur in Crescent Galaxy - AtarDi_3,142,500

kevincal

Ya, I remember trying to play this game the first dozen times or so. I lost all my ships in a heartbeat! One of the keys to this game is learning about how all of the powerups work. There is quite a bunch of them! Like 7 or so? Also a key is getting your regular shot powered up all the way. It helps tons. I also noticed that if you die after having your reg shot powered up all the way, it's EXTREMELY easy to die a bunch of times shortly after when you have the weak reg shot. So it's critical you stay alive as long as possible when your reg shot is fully powered. :P

Another thing I did, you can play 4 of the 5 worlds from the get go and play them in any order. It's a good way to learn the levels. I beat all of them when I started with them, but it's really hard to beat more than 2 worlds without losing all of your continues and ships! It is a good idea to save your shields for the bosses. That way you can hover right on top of the boss and blast him with bombs over and over pretty quickly. Speaking of bombs, don't forget you have an unlimited supply just like your regular shot. It's the A button.

Oh another thing people may not know, you can shoot your regular shot MUCH faster if you tap the button repeatedly as opposed to just holding the button down. This is kind of a drag, and a turbo controller would be perfect for this game.

Edited by kevincal

LOL!!! I just got the final boss in the game and FREAKIN DIED!!!! Agh... I ran out of continues... I must say, this game really is fun once you get good at it! Only problem is if you don't have a turbo controller, you're gonna be giving your hand a real good workout (that doesn't sound right lmao...) Anyhow, the scoring is WEIRD in this game. Like I had 400,000 something points sometime during the middle of the game, then it switched back to 25,000. But then at the end of the game, it showed a huge score at the top of the HS table! 8) Here it is...

I think I'll try to beat it again now. :D

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! Ok, so maybe this game really isn't that hard!!! I just beat it... I only had to use one continue. I got all the way to the last level without using a continue. I'm really telling you though, this game becomes incredibly fun once you master it. Which really doesn't take long. Oh and I figured out the way the scoring system works... It keeps racking up your score until you have to use a continue. Every time you use a continue, it resets your score. HOWEVER, it saves every highscore that you had before you had to use each continue. I GOT A FREAKIN OUTRAGEOUSLY AWESOME SCORE LMAO... Beat THIS!

Oh and once you master this game, it takes under an hour to beat it... STILL, although a short game, it's fun. :D The graphics are awesome and I like the sound effects and even the basic music is growing on me. :) It's a funky little game for sure, and it has a steep learning curve at first, but once you master it, it's a piece of cake. TRY IT! ;) I think the control is great as well. You know, it disappoints me now that I know this game is labeled as trash solely because reviewers didn't stick it out with this game and master it. It only took me a couple days. I'd say it took me about 3-5 hours of playing this game to master it and beat it. It's a cool little shooter. If I had to rate it, I'd give it an 80% or a grade of "B".

(1-10) 1 being BAD ~ 10 being AWESOME

Graphics - 8

Music - 5

Sound FX - 7

Control - 7

Learning Curve - 3

Replay - 7

Fun Factor - 8 (Once you MASTER it ;))

Story - 6

Length - 3

Overall - 8

...Am I forgetting anything? LMAO...

Edited by kevincal
  • Like 1

I've been on a real Jaguar kick lately! :D It's crazy to think, before the last couple of weeks, I had come nowhere near to completing Cybermorph or Trevor McFur! Practice really does make perfect! And once you beat a game, it totally changes your mindset toward that game. Especially if it was fun as CM and TM were to me. :) For instance before I even came close to beating these games, I would have rated them something like:

Cybermorph - 70% ~ Trevor McFur - 65%

But NOW that I've mastered both games, they are a lot more fun. I would now rate them:

Cybermorph - 85% ~ Trevor McFur - 80%

PS - Aren't you glad you kept the Jaguar HS around now? ;) It seems to be quite active.

Just made it past one world, score 115,260. And when I said I dislike this game its not just the difficulty, but also the fact that the space levels all feel the same, the enemies seem stiff, and I'd like some background music in the levels. But its not the worst game, I just feel like it could have been better.

It probably doesn't have in-game music because it was one of the first Jag games, and there was some sort of hardware bug dealing with music... Also they possibly rushed to finish this game to get it out at the Jag's launch. Honestly though, games with no music have never bothered me. Like the Jag version of Doom. :)

Edited by kevincal

And hey Doc, I recently picked up a lot of 22 Jag games and I have nearly all the games that have been played in the HS comps! So even though my scores wouldn't count, I'd like to challenge those scores over time. :D Oh and I've got BUBSY now hehe. ;)

Edited by kevincal

And hey Doc, I recently picked up a lot of 22 Jag games and I have nearly all the games that have been played in the HS comps! So even though my scores wouldn't count, I'd like to challenge those scores over time. :D Oh and I've got BUBSY now hehe. ;)

Bubsy... bring it on!!! :D And yeh please do try to beat the previous scores. Those contests are always open, your score would be placed in the title, and noted when the high score was beat in the main message.

Glad to see you getting back into this. 22 games... man that's cool!

Bubsy... bring it on!!! :D And yeh please do try to beat the previous scores. Those contests are always open, your score would be placed in the title, and noted when the high score was beat in the main message.

Glad to see you getting back into this. 22 games... man that's cool!

Ya man, I need/needed to boost up my Jag collection again! I just have too much of a passion for the Jag and Jag community to not have a bunch of games! This time though I only care about having carts. Before I cared about complete box & manual etc and that's more expensive!!! Also it led to me becoming more of a collector and less of a gamer. I was not so happy. I had all these games and I would just sit here and admire them, but hardly play any of them! Now I want to get back to my gaming roots and actually play my games! From beginning to end like I did when I was a kid!