IGNORED

Hooked on Valkyria Chronicles

cimerians

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just thought I'd post an update here on Valkyria Chronicles 2 on the PSP....

I downloaded the demo of it yesterday and had a blast playing it and seeing how it will work on the PSP. Though just about everything in the demo is in Japanese, its very easy to figure out the controls and play a battle. Game looks and plays FANTASTIC!!!

Also, the official VC website has been updated and you can view a few preview movies of the upcoming game by CLICKING HERE. Yes, just about everything is in Japanese but you can still view the movies and download the Fan Site Kit with artwork for the game.

Further info on VC2.... in English.... can be found by CLICKING HERE

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

• 1 year later...

Old thread but why isn't there a sequel on the PS3 yet???

Just want to add that if your a rabid fan, this is a rare book for the game:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1926778162

The Valkyria Chronicles design archive. It’s a 400 page artbook for Valkyria Chronicles. It’s pretty awesome. My buddy has it and its amazingly good with great quality paper and information. Its the ultimate guide to the game. If you have ever seen those Star Wars or Comic book encyclopedias, its like those. Every vehicle, weapon etc is described and illustrated. I'm on the fence about getting it due to price but I may shell out the money and do it since I don't think it will be around too long.

If anyone cares...I'll try and grab some pics from his book.

Old thread but why isn't there a sequel on the PS3 yet???

Well, the simple answer would be that Sega simply doesn't believe it would sell well enough to be considered profitable. :(

Just want to add that if your a rabid fan, this is a rare book for the game:

My copy of that book arrived last week. I'd had it preordered since last November, so I even got it for less than the current Amazon price, just over 50% of retail price. I'd gotten the Japanese edition of the book a good long while back. Staggeringly huge (thank goodness for free/flat rate shipping!) and lavishly produced, they're probably the most impressive art books I have, and I have many.

onmode-ky

My older brother was just telling me today how much he hates Valkyria Chronicles. According to him, the battle system is stupid as heck, the story is completely idiotic, and the difficulty spike that occurs once you pass the first few missions is so ridiculous that he stopped playing and has never touched it since (he mentioned a tank being the biggest issue). And he's actually pretty good at RPGs.

Last I heard... which was quite some time ago... was that VC3 was being worked on but it was going to be another PSP title. I'll have to check around but I'll bet it was put on indefinite hold while Sega decides whether to release it on Vita, PS3, or forgets the whole project.

Mendon

I hate Sega. Valkyria Chronicles is still the only game I have ever got my wife to play, she liked it so much she would even play it when I was not home. Don't know why they only make sequels for the PSP, I would think the game has sold a respectable amount of copies by now with the generally good word of mouth it has received.

History shows that good decisions are not what Sega does best.

I do really want to play this game, but I don't have a PS3. Since the "console exclusivity line" is so thin this generation I really can't justify shelling out 300+ bucks just to play this game and Uncharted 2. It's actually even more upsetting knowing that the game was originally planned as a 360 game. It's too bad it did not end up a multiplatform release, as it may have actually sold more and made Sega feel more comfortable as far as releasing sequels.

But, like I said, good decisions are not what Sega does best.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up and started watching the 2 disk DVD Valkyria Chronicles DVD and really enjoying it. Of course, by Chapter 5 I had the uncontrollable urge to once again help defend Gallia and am now on Chapter 4 in the game.

This is one incredible experience, both in story and gameplay!

Mendon

I just picked up and started watching the 2 disk DVD Valkyria Chronicles DVD and really enjoying it.

Eh? What?! I think I would have known if the Valkyria Chronicles anime TV series had been licensed for North American release. Where did you find it? Or were you talking about a bootleg (in which case I have to ask why you paid money for a bootleg rather than just finding fansubs for free on the Internet)?

onmode-ky

I just picked up and started watching the 2 disk DVD Valkyria Chronicles DVD and really enjoying it.

Eh? What?! I think I would have known if the Valkyria Chronicles anime TV series had been licensed for North American release. Where did you find it? Or were you talking about a bootleg (in which case I have to ask why you paid money for a bootleg rather than just finding fansubs for free on the Internet)?

onmode-ky

I picked up the Japanese import (with English subtitles) at a Flea Market booth that sold nothing but Anime stuff. Cost me $15 new and to me it was a bargain.

Mendon

onmode-ky

I picked up the Japanese import (with English subtitles) at a Flea Market booth that sold nothing but Anime stuff. Cost me $15 new and to me it was a bargain.

Mendon

Well, that was a bootleg (most likely Chinese). The actual Japanese release of the series on DVD was 9 discs, no English subtitles (hardly ever any subtitles on Japanese disc releases), and way more than $15 per disc. And it would not be playable in a Region 1 DVD player because it would be Region 2. I don't know how you feel about bootlegs, but I'd be upset if I were you.

onmode-ky

Well, that was a bootleg (most likely Chinese). The actual Japanese release of the series on DVD was 9 discs, no English subtitles (hardly ever any subtitles on Japanese disc releases), and way more than $15 per disc. And it would not be playable in a Region 1 DVD player because it would be Region 2. I don't know how you feel about bootlegs, but I'd be upset if I were you.

I have mixed feelings about this since I agree that bootlegs are bad but on the other hand, this anime will probably never be officially released in this region. Of course the best option is to get the fansub episodes for free on the internet, I got the whole VC anime in HD that will probably also look better than the bootleg DVD set in question.

I have mixed feelings about this since I agree that bootlegs are bad but on the other hand, this anime will probably never be officially released in this region. Of course the best option is to get the fansub episodes for free on the internet, I got the whole VC anime in HD that will probably also look better than the bootleg DVD set in question.

Yes, for series like this with very low likelihood of proper licensed release, I would definitely recommend fansubs over bootlegs. First of all, there's no profit being made from someone else's work; secondly, you're a whole lot more likely to get comprehensible and correct subtitles with a fansub than with a bootleg. Like, say, "Hang on!" rather than "Cheer up!" for "Shikkari shiro!" in the context of one character holding a mortally wounded comrade in his arms.

At the other end of the spectrum, you could go with the Japanese Valkyria Chronicles Blu-ray 4-disc box set, no English subtitles, for over $300--and that's before international shipping charges. :) An official North American release would really be a nice middle ground.

onmode-ky

Of course the best option is to get the fansub episodes for free on the internet, I got the whole VC anime in HD that will probably also look better than the bootleg DVD set in question.

This.

Yeah, Fansubs and Usenet are your friends. I actually started watching this too, on top of several other series that I follow.

Man, I hope Tiger & Bunny gets another season.