IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 4 " Galaga "

darthkur

galaga-logo.gif

s_Galaga_12.png

Well, let's apply the defibrillator to this thing and bring it back to life. It's time to face the evil Galagans who are reclaiming planets they lost during a centuries-old interstellar war. It is our call to board our Intergalactic Command Ships and face the merciless onslaught.

As with the other HSC's emulation is fine and dandy if you don't have the original cart or just don't feel like hooking the system up. :D Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Let's try this for two weeks time. Contest ends on 11-24-08 at 1:00am EST.

Current High Scores:

1st: keitaro - 395,430

2nd: Sauron - 229,330

3rd: famicommander - 207,540

4th: darthkur - 184,580

5th: LaserHawk - 177,420

6th: Almost Rice - 162,610

7th: Atarifever - 153,090

8th: bfutrel - 141,670

9th: HammR25 - 112,550

10th: suaiden - 68,970

11th: LarcenTyler - 52,240

Current Standings: (using the 2600 HSC scoring formula)

1st - gdement (24)

1st - suaiden (24)

2nd - Darthkur (22)

3rd - HammR25 (20)

4th - AtariFever (18)

4th - rockman_x_2002 (18)

5th - doctorclu (12)

6th - ratfink (11)

7th - Allan (10)

8th - atomickneedrop (9)

9th - Artlover (4)

9th - shadow460 (4)

9th - Zoyx (4)

10th - LarcenTyler (3)

Edited by darthkur

72,980 - wave 8

Not my best work, but I was playing with a keyboard.

EDIT - second try, 125,850 wave 16

This time I used a Gravis GamePad Pro. It would have been a better score but the #$@#%#@ screen saver kicked in near the end.

post-7758-1226459394_thumb.jpg

post-7758-1226460276_thumb.jpg

Edited by bfutrel

200,390 - Wave 26

Sorry for lack of pics, they're completely unreadable from my phone's camera, and that's all I've got. :(

That's alright. No problem at all, other than I'm going to have a real hard time trying to beat that score. :P

This time I used a Gravis GamePad Pro. It would have been a better score but the #$@#%#@ screen saver kicked in near the end.

Oh that's infuriating. I've had that happen many times. Unless you hit "pause" really fast odds are you'll get annihilated before you get the screen to come back up.

It's funny, but I prefer this version to the arcade. Something about the colours is more fun in this version. As well, the small ship size makes dodging more of an option.

I have played the arcade version since 1988. Getting high scores on it was not much of a problem. I'm still getting used to the positioning on the 7800 version. On my last score no perfects were scored on the challenge stages. It didn't help that I get the challenge stages mixed up too.

It's funny, but I prefer this version to the arcade. Something about the colours is more fun in this version. As well, the small ship size makes dodging more of an option.

Yeah, the colors are vibrant on the 7800 version. It's odd that this game wasn't ported to many systems. Other than the MSX and Sega 1000 ones, which never seen release over here in the States, we had the 7800, NES and the extremely minimalist version for the C=64. Strange for a game that is supposed to be one of the best shooters of all time.

Whoa, nice score. I see I won't be placing 1st this time around. Or probably 2nd or 3rd either for that matter. :P

267440 (wave 33)

I used to play expert mode. I played in advanced now to the HSC and in the first 9 waves, the gameplay is very slow.

From wave 10, is very challenging and hard.

imagen028yw9.th.jpgthpix.gif

Edited by darthkur

Well, it's a new game for me, so...

68,970. Will have pics on future scores. Didn't charge the camera. Life is better on a real system, but you can't take screenshots.

and if anyone can explain how to get a twin ship without getting tractor beamed I'd like to know since I can't figure it out. (Yes, you can laugh now.)

Edited by suaiden

...if anyone can explain how to get a twin ship without getting tractor beamed I'd like to know since I can't figure it out. (Yes, you can laugh now.)

Getting a ship captured and then freeing it is the only way to get the twin ship option.

...if anyone can explain how to get a twin ship without getting tractor beamed I'd like to know since I can't figure it out. (Yes, you can laugh now.)

Getting a ship captured and then freeing it is the only way to get the twin ship option.

So you have to lose a ship?

So you have to lose a ship?

Well, yes initially. But you do get it back, assuming that you shoot the alien that captured it and manage not to destroy your own captured fighter in the process.