IGNORED

Controller Extension Cords?

Sargon

You can use VGA extensions cables, it's the same connector.

Since VGA cables are typically held in place with screws, how well would a standard VGA extension cable connect to a Jaguar controller? I'm afraid it would disconnect easily.

No more or less than an actual Jaguar extension cable would... maybe more even since the VGA extension cables have metal shielding (basically a ground pin, if you will) and the Jaguar controller cables do not... so the metal would probably catch on the plastic better than plastic on plastic.

Actually, the friction caused by the pins is enough to hold the cable pretty well (better than the connectors on the original pads, in fact). You may have to replug the cable firmly from time to time, but it doesn't disconnect itself while you play. :)

EDIT : argh, I'm a bit late :P

Edited by Zerosquare

You can use VGA extensions cables, it's the same connector.

Just make sure you get one that has a female connector on one end, and a male connector on the other. Most VGA extensions are male on both ends.

I'm afraid this advice is no good !! I bought a VGA cable from 'the bay' and when it arrived I noticed it had 14 pins on the male end but 15 holes on the female end..so that was the first thing that went wrong (it didnt work) So back to ebay and I bought another with 15 pins this time and it still didnt work!! After researching I found that the 15th pin is only cosmetic! So following advice from a similar thread on this site I contacted Best Electronics for one of their 'official' 6 foot extensions but they wanted a $50 minimum order to post to the UK! see this page for a pic http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/jaguar.htm

Any other ideas please? :(

Oops!

The cable I used worked just fine, I had assumed they all wired the whole 15 pins. Good to know.

You could still build your own cable if you know how to use a soldering iron...

Yep, I know how to use a soldering iron...but a little bit too much effort I think! This would also necessitate cutting the connectors open. Where did you get yours?

I also wonder if the metal shielding is causing the malfunction....on reflection this doesn't seem likely as there is no metal sheiding on the controler..

Both the cable and the connectors can be found in any serious electronics shop (i.e., not Radio Shack :D -- sorry, I don't which one to recommend in England).

The metal shielding doesn't hurt. It's connected to the chassis ground on the Jaguar.

Good advice...do you know where I can find the relevant wiring diagram (online)?

Sorry I was thinking about installing an extra wire in my existing lead!

Merci!

It won't work as-is as a controller extension cable (it's got male connectors on both ends), but you could cut one end and solder a female connector instead, as long as all 15 wires are present.

But there must be hundreds of VGA cables models, and no way to know if they have 15 individual wires before buying them. Making the cable yourself is more complicated, but at least you know it will work in the end (provided you don't goof ;) )

It won't work as-is as a controller extension cable (it's got male connectors on both ends), but you could cut one end and solder a female connector instead, as long as all 15 wires are present.

But there must be hundreds of VGA cables models, and no way to know if they have 15 individual wires before buying them. Making the cable yourself is more complicated, but at least you know it will work in the end (provided you don't goof ;) )

thanks, its a nice looking cable - but unless the individual wires are all coloured differently then there would be no way of knowing where to solder the individual wires on the new female end. Plus I don't know if they post to England.

I haven't been able to find any wire on ebay..

unless the individual wires are all coloured differently then there would be no way of knowing where to solder the individual wires on the new female end.
You can identifiy which wire is connected to which pin with a multimeter. The cheapest models cost a few pounds -- even if you don't do much electrical work, it's useful to have one in your toolbox, to quickly check fuses, lightbulbs, outlets, batteries, etc.

• 14 years later...
On 1/25/2023 at 4:25 PM, LynxEffect said:

Thank you, I will order and report back.

Ok I got two of those VGA cables off eBay for £10, and can confirm they did not work. Furthermore, when I tested them, the power light on the Jaguar started flashing, and then it went off completely. Luckily, there doesn't seem to be any damage to the console, as when the controller without the extension was returned it booted-up fine again. Rather than risk frying my Jaguar, I think I'll just sit closer to the TV, until such time as when dedicated extension cables are available in the UK.

(I have used a Team Tap as a little extension cable before, but it's not ideal).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just tested a spare VGA cable I had that's populated with all 15 pins but my multimeter showed that many of them are connected to ground (pins 5, 6, 7, 8 & 10) and do not go straight through.

analog - Why does VGA have so many ground pins (compared to DVI-I for  example)? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

I'd be very interested if somebody is able to find a reliable source of Jaguar compatible 15 pin cables where all the pins go straight through. I'm not really prepared to play the VGA cable lottery and ending up with a bunch of disappointing cables. 😞

- James