IGNORED

ps3 crashing... any ideas whats causing it?

Godzilla

just got a 20gigger

played a bit of resistance and ratchet future last nite

also played rogue galaxy n2o to make sure i had emotion in my engine

played more p1/2 timewise than i did 3

Thing gets hot. it was on for about six hours id say. on a wooden shelf about 6 inches high but very deep (inside a wood entertainment center, open at front only one tiny hole in back.

on the ps3 side, after a few hours, ratchet and resistance started locking up, id get white text (tiny) on top of the screen. think it said 'null' in the top left. hard to read. only 4 or 5 lines.

any ideas? I just swopped its 20gb hd for a 120 (also 5400 rpm)

You might very well be cooking it to death. The PS3 shouldn't get hot at all. It does however throw a huge amount of hot air from it's very nice cooling system. Hot air exits the right hand side of the system, and it's enough to raise the temp of a small room. If that air doesn't get away from the unit, it's gonna die.

Edited by remowilliams

• 3 weeks later...

Just be careful. Blowing a fan onto the PS3 may actually make it worse as it could keep the hot air from escaping the system at it's normal rate by causing wind resistance. If that's the case it'll cook off even faster. Just make sure it has lots of breathing room and let it's designed function take care of the rest.

hmmm... Its in a narrow wooden shelf in a wooden enterntainment center, on its side. The shelf is not even a foot tall. really deep, but lots of power supplies and a 360 and a wii & a bose surround control center also squeezed on/in it. Ive been using a fan in the back of the unit to blow on the vent side of the ps3. The other ps3 totally died, but the seller was honest and replaced it. The new one has been working fine, but it also did the 'crash to tiny lines of text i can't read' thing once so far, but has continued working otherwise. So should I not use the fan directly on it? not use the fan at all?

Ive been using a fan in the back of the unit to blow on the vent side of the ps3.

The vent side of the PS3 is an exhaust, you're blowing hot air back into the system. You need to move some of that stuff out into an unenclosed space.

Just make sure it has lots of breathing room and let it's designed function take care of the rest.

Yes, that's all you need to do. It will take care of itself if you give it a suitable living space.

Edited by remowilliams

you know, I really miss not having to worry about exaust fans... I wonder how likely we are to see a real game system again that was designed to fit into the average living room, without things having to be arranged to provide it the proper 'life support.'

I can't even count the number of people who used to keep their NES units in odd spots. Stuffed between the wall and the bed, items stacked on top, or hell, under a pile of extra blankets. wouldn't surprise me if the damn thing worked under water.

I have better things to do than take care of my PS3--but here I am, with mine sitting vertical right in the middle of a small end table rather than in the entertainment center--where even the ps2 didn't seem to mind being.

Edited by Reaperman

yea, it does suck, actually. really makes me appreciate my wii even more. every day the wii becomes more and more my fave of the current gen, now passing my previous fave the 360. As far as heat, I can tell you the 360 doesn't get NEAR as hot as the ps3, which does feel like you could actually cook on it.

I shouldn't have to re-arrange my living room just to hook up my game systems :)

the ps3 running hotter than a 360? i got both but can't say the ps3 is hotter then the 360. But if it's blowing out lots of hot air, then it's oke. Since if the heat is exhausted the internals won't fry, like the 360 does. The wii is getting more and more my least favorite system. I really don't dig the happy mii games. Hope there will be more games like frontiers lost winds for the wii. Since that is a really good game that uses the wii-mote good.

Most games just use the wii-mote as a gimmick, what results in a really bad games.