IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

Does Lunar Blitz not waiting for Sack's Msx? ;)

Until you mentioned it in PM to me the other day i'd completely forgotten about it...! The code was completed and the graphics only took a little reshuffling to get over, but it was waiting for the music and i honestly forget who was doing it...! All Lunar Blitz would need to be finished off is a conversion of Matt Simmonds' tune "Zoomer" (which the C16 and C64 versions both use, the unexpanded VIC 20 version runs a sound effects engine because there wasn't space for a music driver) and whatever time i needed to actually integrate an RMT tune in considering that i've not done it in a while. =-)

i've just been rooting through the old work directories (every time i reinstall Windows i leave the old directories behind and only transfer active projects to the new drive) and i've realised just how much i've coded over the years in the way of prototype A8 code! Several scroll engines using various techniques and fitted with column and tile map compression, at least four distinctly different character-based software sprite engines and a bitmapped one that uses "compiled" sprites (actually, i need a better look at that because it's quite a bit faster than i remember it being!), about half of an APAC picture swapping puzzle game where it's only missing the front and back end stuff and the actual game is fully functioning...

The only problem is once again (as usual) the C64 version is coded by some retard at Atarisoft and is worse than the VIC-20 version.

Yep, That is the problem often times with these comparisons.. both directions. ;)

It's possible in cases like those to be horribly cynical and ponder if Atarisoft didn't try to "sabotage" the C64 version since the machine was competing with the A8... not that i believe they did personally, but i've never understood why the C64 version of Moon Patrol didn't have the same backgrounds as the A8 version. [Evil grin... =-]

Actually Gyruss I don't see much difference between versions, could just be me though :) maybe A8 has more sprite sizes/positions. I'm rubbish at comparing stuff like this. lol

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSA1PERH9i8Q&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D98vAYjfR4u0

Pete

Don't worry Pete, :cool: I am good at this, so relax, have a drink and let me act. ;) I've had Gyruss on my list anyway. :twisted:

Try another Parker Brothers..

Gyruss 1984

Smoother and better game play than the c64 version. C64 is improving at this stage but still not as good as A8 :D :D

For sure as I also own this arcade machine and play it frequently.

Stuff that one Rockford.

Aren't you dead yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1PERH9i8Q&feature=related

Really... Imagine I've tested it on both computers and arcade too, and I've actually PLAYED 3 versions. You know, watching games on you tube is not enough. :D

It's time to leave atarian fantasy land and return to reality :D

29 - GYRUSS

post-24409-125425109603_thumb.jpg

C64

post-24409-125425111659_thumb.jpg

C64

post-24409-12542511424_thumb.jpg

C64

The C64 plays more smoothly and has better music, sprites, graphics in hi-res, in which it resembles arcade version (on C64 everything is near arcade perfect: displays, proportions of ships, death sequence - check out the last picture and compare). The Atari version has graphics in low-res (strange colours as always :D ) and chunky, deformed sprites - very often it's hard to distinguish asteroids from alien ships :D If you don't believe PLAY INSTEAD OF WATCHING THEM :twisted: C64 is better again :cool:

post-24409-125425249475_thumb.gif

ATARI

post-24409-125425259228_thumb.png

ATARI

post-24409-125425261483_thumb.png

ATARI

post-24409-125425271822_thumb.png

ARCADE VERSION

• Like 1

The only problem is once again (as usual) the C64 version is coded by some retard at Atarisoft and is worse than the VIC-20 version. Also it clearly has nothing to do with to with the machines capabilities as a budget release of the 3rd game in the series called Gaplus is superior in every way to either version of Galaxian (as is the many rip-offs of Galaga like Zalaga etc)

Yepp, like said, valid for both directions. I'd never cared about 'Q*bert' and like 'Pharaoh's Pyramid' more.

In case of 'Galaxian' the good message is, that both machines have a very similar version of 'Bandits'.

I typed in a version of Qbert from a magazine in 1984 and it wasn't bad considering :lol:

I like Galaxian on the A8 and VIC (own both for use on real hardware) and have Galaga on the 7800 (which is really nice also)

Sorry but as somebody pretty impartial I think the A8 Gyruss looks alot more like the arcade version and plays alot better too.

One question. Have you really played all 3 versions ? If not, at least click on the pictures for enlargements and you will see the difference in graphics quality. ;)

Gyruss A8 rocks... love that more than 360 version... ;)

I spent a lot of money in the arcade machine but found the a8 version good and at least like the arcade... so the a8 version does not get me away to buy GBA versions and DS and XBLA versions,.... but the a8 version is not so bad... it has all levels...all bonus stages and the msx... ;)

at least better than the 2600 version... :D

I spent a lot of money in the arcade machine but found the a8 version good and at least like the arcade... so the a8 version does not get me away to buy GBA versions and DS and XBLA versions,.... but the a8 version is not so bad... it has all levels...all bonus stages and the msx... ;)

I haven't said that A8 version is bad, all I'am saying is C64 version is better and resembles arcade version more. ;)

Actually Gyruss I don't see much difference between versions, could just be me though :) maybe A8 has more sprite sizes/positions. I'm rubbish at comparing stuff like this. lol

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSA1PERH9i8Q&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D98vAYjfR4u0

Pete

Don't worry Pete, :cool: I am good at this, so relax, have a drink and let me act. ;) I've had Gyruss on my list anyway. :twisted:

Gyruss 1984

Smoother and better game play than the c64 version. C64 is improving at this stage but still not as good as A8 :D :D

Stuff that one Rockford.

Aren't you dead yet?

Really... Imagine I've tested it on both computers and arcade too, and I've actually PLAYED 3 versions. You know, watching games on you tube is not enough. :D

Do you actually own the Arcade? I do! The Atari version is easily the better one. Is yours the Parker Bros version? I have seen all three and have the Machine to base that opinion on.. Get a life... :ponder:

The c64 version is glitchey, slow and the sound is off.. The Atari version is smooth,and much more like the arcade. The sound is also not the same but closer to the arcade. C64 version is not bad however it is the inferior version..

Now back to Rockfords Crazy Land..

Also..

Aren't you dead yet? :D

I haven't said that A8 version is bad, all I'am saying is C64 version is better and resembles arcade version more. ;)

Really and you have said arcade machine to compare with?

Doh!

The C64 plays more smoothly and has better music, sprites, graphics in hi-res, in which it resembles arcade version (on C64 everything is near arcade perfect: displays, proportions of ships, death sequence - check out the last picture and compare). The Atari version has graphics in low-res (strange colours as always :D ) and chunky, deformed sprites - very often it's hard to distinguish asteroids from alien ships :D If you don't believe PLAY INSTEAD OF WATCHING THEM :twisted: C64 is better again :cool:

ROFL.. now I see you are really hopeless. C64 version may look better ONLY on static pictures because of higher resolution but in action it's really bad. C64 doesn't play more smoothly, it has horrible sound effect, the starfield looks more like kaleidoscope (symmetry) and choppy. The attack waves flicker all the time.... You should listen to your "PLAY INSTEAD OF WATCHING THEM" yourself first.

ROFL.. now I see you are really hopeless. C64 version may look better ONLY on static pictures because of higher resolution but in action it's really bad. C64 doesn't play more smoothly, it has horrible sound effect, the starfield looks more like kaleidoscope (symmetry) and choppy. The attack waves flicker all the time.... You should listen to your "PLAY INSTEAD OF WATCHING THEM" yourself first.

Crikey! I hadn't even noticed it was another half-res contraption from the screenshots.. I think I'm going blind to this after being subjected to so many half-res games..

Time for some stronger glasses :)

The only problem is once again (as usual) the C64 version is coded by some retard at Atarisoft and is worse than the VIC-20 version. Also it clearly has nothing to do with to with the machines capabilities as a budget release of the 3rd game in the series called Gaplus is superior in every way to either version of Galaxian (as is the many rip-offs of Galaga like Zalaga etc)

Yepp, like said, valid for both directions. I'd never cared about 'Q*bert' and like 'Pharaoh's Pyramid' more.

In case of 'Galaxian' the good message is, that both machines have a very similar version of 'Bandits'.

I typed in a version of Qbert from a magazine in 1984 and it wasn't bad considering :lol:

I like Galaxian on the A8 and VIC (own both for use on real hardware) and have Galaga on the 7800 (which is really nice also)

That Gaplus on C64 is totally impressive! I love that game! The 64 version appears to follow the mechanics of the original. I still have Namco Museum 2 (PS1) from day 1! I'll have to try to find that and try it.

I'm not so sure about these others (above). I get bored pretty quick with most Galaxians, so I guess I'm not impartial, but I won't be playing A8 or Vic Galaxian anytime soon. (have real hardware too!) I just don't get it with the fans of the 7800 Galaga. I mean, yeah, if I have a 7800 it's a must-have, but only in the context of the 7800. It doesn't play like Arcade Galaga. The only thing that was close (from the day) was NES "Galaga: Demons of Death" which is the first time everything moved, played, and looked like REAL Galaga.

C64 version is better and resembles arcade version more. icon_wink.gif

In graphics... in some cases ... yes. But the gameplay of the A8 version is simply great.

I second that emotion. The A8 version ROCKS! I have one or more Arcade Compiliations on (much) newer systems - like Konami classics (could be wrong, something like that) and YES THE GRAPHICS ARE ARCADE PERFECT but you won't catch me playing them because the control sucks - gameplay licks taint. The A8 version has almost fluid-like intuitive control to it when keeping the ship moving in a circle if you so intend. I was all excited when I got these compilation(s) and SO disappointed when I played them. So who cares about arcade graphics?

Having said that, I haven't tried the 64 version but I have some DVD ROMs of 64 games so I must have it somewhere!! Now I want to try. That Q-bert definitely looks better on the 64 though.

Pete

Gyruss 1984

Stuff that one Rockford.

Aren't you dead yet?

Do you actually own the Arcade? I do! The Atari version is easily the better one. Is yours the Parker Bros version? I have seen all three and have the Machine to base that opinion on.. Get a life... :ponder:

Do you know what you are talking about at all ? :D The original arcade was made by Konami, whereas A8 & C64 Gyruss was published only by Parker Bros. There are not other versions on A8&C64 LOL :D ... or maybe you have Parker's arcade :D

The c64 version is glitchey, slow and the sound is off..

....yeahh and the BIG TEN is the best college football conference :D Daydreaming is good for you :D

The Atari version is smooth,and much more like the arcade.

In what aspect ? vivid purple & green stars and space ships or ugly sprites in low-res ? :D :D :D

Another daydreamer who thinks that less graphics in lo-res is better than more in hi-res :D When something works in hi-res, sometimes flickers, you should know that ;) A8 version works in lower resolution and flickers too, check the bonus stages on A8 :D Oh and the A8 starfield is sometimes green or purple, that doesn't look like kaleidoscope at all :D :D :D

For all other comedians (like atarian63 or MaPa) I found a very interesting comparison. It's on hardcoregaming101.net (a very respectable site for multiplatform gamers who don't want to be a part of fanboyism). The reviewer compared all existing Gyruss versions to the Konami's arcade original, so he wasn't biased. And he wrote something like this:

"The Atari 2600 isn't too bad despite its choppiness, and manages to keep in a simplistic version of the theme song. The Atari 5200/8-bit version is a bit improved from this one, with more defined graphics, smoother action and better sound. The Colecovision version is roughly on par with the Atari 8-bit versions, but the best is the Commodore 64, which has smooth gameplay and excellent music."

Interesting isn't it :D

Edited by Rockford

C64 version is better and resembles arcade version more. icon_wink.gif

In graphics... in some cases ... yes. But the gameplay of the A8 version is simply great.

I second that emotion. The A8 version ROCKS! I have one or more Arcade Compiliations on (much) newer systems - like Konami classics (could be wrong, something like that) and YES THE GRAPHICS ARE ARCADE PERFECT but you won't catch me playing them because the control sucks - gameplay licks taint. The A8 version has almost fluid-like intuitive control to it when keeping the ship moving in a circle if you so intend. I was all excited when I got these compilation(s) and SO disappointed when I played them. So who cares about arcade graphics?

That's just a stupid thing to say "arcade graphics" when the smooth motion is more significant for a game like this.

Having said that, I haven't tried the 64 version but I have some DVD ROMs of 64 games so I must have it somewhere!! Now I want to try...

Don't waste your time with it. It's a piece of crap given that you have the A8 version.

Crikey! I hadn't even noticed it was another half-res contraption from the screenshots.. I think I'm going blind to this after being subjected to so many half-res games..

Time for some stronger glasses :)

Stop looking at screen shots and go play the game. In fast action games, the frame rate is more significant than what the screen looks like when you pause it. I don't recall C64 version having a pause. By your logic, the PC version of pac-man is superior to Atari version because it uses 320*200 although it plays like a piece of crap.

You can go blind with the C64 palette but not with this game's excellent color useage.