IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 34 *Berzerk*

darthkur

1181242060234.jpg

s_Berzerk_3.png

You are the lone human in an endless maze of homicidal robots. Their sole mission is to reduce you to a blasted cloud of scattered molecules. You must avoid their deathly clutches and searing laser fire to find an escape route. But beware not to delay too long in your search of an exit for their maniacal leader "Evil Otto" will come bounding out after you, intent on pounding you to dust. His shielding is impenetrable so you would be wise to run away from him at all costs. As if that were not enough you must beware of the walls themselves for they are electrified and will burn you to a crisp at the slightest contact. So be wary, aim well and keep running.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: Level 1 (default)

Contest ends on: 12-8-08 at 1:00am EST.

Current High Scores:

1st: LaserHawk - 13,130

2nd: midnight magicman - 12,870

3rd: Cafeman - 11,320

4th: darthkur - 9,040

5th: doctorclu - 8,260

6th: chuckwalla - 4,800

7th: BydoEmpire - 3,300

Current Standings:

1st - Doctorclu (97) (4)

2nd - darthkur (92) (4)

3rd - Mike5200 (60)

4th - Shannon (39)

5th - Atari5200 (38) (1)

6th - Bydoempire (33)

7th - phuzaxeman (22) (2)

8th - midnight8 (13)

9th - bohoki (10)

9th - Hex6500 (10)

9th - Laserhawk (10)

9th - Lord Thag (10)

9th - shadow460 (10)

10th - Phantom (9)

11th - Cafeman ( 8 )

11th - JetSet ( 8 )

12th - RXD (7)

13th - Goochman (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Edited by darthkur

great calculations for the rankings....would be nice to see the current rankings for the most wins too.

A good idea. :thumbsup: The stats are in blue above and shall be from now on.

EDIT: Actually I am now very glad you mentioned this. It made me go back and check everything out and I discovered I had a couple figures incorrect. They are all now fixed.

Edited by darthkur

The red accumulated points - how is that calculatd?

The accumulated points are garnered from what position a participant finalizes in on each round utilizing the same scoring formula as the 2600 HSC uses:

Highest Score: +11 points

2nd Highest: +10 points

3rd Highest: +9 points

4th Highest: +8 points

5th Highest: +7 points

6th Highest: +6 points

7th Highest: +5 points

8th Highest: +4 points

9th Highest: +3 points

10th Highest: +2 points

11th and onwards (Participating): +1 point

I started adding up the scores for this Season starting at Round 22 and will continue until mid Feb where a new Season will commence. *

* = Full details in first post of this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134312

1181242060234.jpg

s_Berzerk_3.png

You are the lone human in an endless maze of homicidal robots. Their sole mission is to reduce you to a blasted cloud of scattered molecules. You must avoid their deathly clutches and searing laser fire to find an escape route. But beware not to delay too long in your search of an exit for their maniacal leader "Evil Otto" will come bounding out after you, intent on pounding you to dust. His shielding is impenetrable so you would be wise to run away from him at all costs. As if that were not enough you must beware of the walls themselves for they are electrified and will burn you to a crisp at the slightest contact. So be wary, aim well and keep running.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: Level 1 (default)

Contest ends on: 12-8-08 at 1:00am EST.

Current High Scores:

None

Current Standings:

1st - Doctorclu (97) (4)

2nd - darthkur (92) (4)

3rd - Mike5200 (60)

4th - Shannon (39)

5th - Atari5200 (38) (1)

6th - Bydoempire (33)

7th - phuzaxeman (22) (2)

8th - midnight8 (13)

9th - bohoki (10)

9th - Hex6500 (10)

9th - Laserhawk (10)

9th - Lord Thag (10)

9th - shadow460 (10)

10th - Phantom (9)

11th - Cafeman ( 8 )

11th - JetSet ( 8 )

12th - RXD (7)

13th - Goochman (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

not that it matters but as of 9/2/08 i had 4 wins(check leaderboard)....then i won the frogger II (which was after 9/2)...for a total of 5 wins.

not that it matters but as of 9/2/08 i had 4 wins(check leaderboard)....then i won the frogger II (which was after 9/2)...for a total of 5 wins.

When tallying up the stats for this "Season" I only went as far back as Round 22, which took place last February. This Season will end this coming Feb whereas a new one will then commence.

This game doesn't really save your high score once you start a new round, does it?

Let's enrich this contest with some tactics talk. I usually lose my lives in the opening moments of some stages where there is a robot ambush, and one of two things happen -- either I shoot in the wrong direction, or a robot shoots me on the diagonal. I am not good at identifying the diagonal danger zones, and most times there isn't enough time to get out of the way once I see it coming.

Hide behind walls and lead robots to their own death (walls/shots/collisions with each other). Move up/down or left/right behind a wall and lead the robots to ram each other or shoot each other, and then quickly retreating across the screen to the exit, shooting any that are left. You aren't going to get a good score unless you clear lots of screens and get the bonus points; however it is never worth dying over just to pick up bonus points.

Learn how robots shoot. Robots shoot lower than you when shooting horizontally; they shoot from the right side when shooting vertically. Thus, a tactic is to go up while a robot on the other side of a wall follows you upwards. You can shoot over top a wall, hitting robots at the top of their heads, and their shots are lower on-screen and thus don't clear the wall. If you must head downward, you must be more careful.

For Vertical situations, since the robots shoot on the right side, I found I can straddle an electified wall and yet not hit it, and still be able to be missed by descending shots and get my own shot off to kill the robot. One big problem when you are in a tight situation is your shot will hit the robot's shot in an endless stalemate. Since you can get 2 shots off , a good strategy is to fire 2 shots upwards/downwards and then move to the right. The robot will follow you, thus its shots will be to the right a bit as well, and you shots will clear and find their target.

Finally, The Three Robots Rule -- Once there are 3 robots or less on screen, in a very short time Otto makes his appearance and you better get moving. If you get to a new screen with only 3 robots, MOVE!

Edited by Cafeman

This game is awesomely hard! LaserHawk, you are definitely a Berzerk master with your score.

Thanks! I guess I just had one of those "good runs" I tried to up the score and didn't git it done. It IS

a hard game! (whew!!) And "Krazy Shootout" in a number of ways is harder IMHO because

of the scoring system. If you duck out of a room in "Berzerk" and leave any robots intact its ok but in "Krazy Shootout" you're penalised by having to complete 3 more levels before scoring resumes.

Has anyone else noticed that you can reverse Otto if you stand inside a left exit's doorway? I sometimes use this to clear the screen of distant robots, since he aligns with your vertical position - send him to the right side, then move up to where his line-of-movement will take out a distant robot on his return leftwards. Pretty cool glitch.

Current High Scores:

1st: LaserHawk - 13,130

2nd: midnight magicman - 12,870

3rd: darthkur - 9,040

4th: doctorclu - 8,260

5th: Cafeman - 8,140

6th: chuckwalla - 4,800

7th: BydoEmpire - 3,300

My high score was 11,320 -- not 8,260! I even put a screenshot!

Oh nuts. My apologies. I don't know how I missed that. Might be time to change the prescription on my glasses. :dunce: I'll correct this immediately.