IGNORED

Easy programming

Homebrewery

It seems very hard to develop for the Jag. I'm having problems my self (DOS-like software won't work on my OS. All that's working is the image-compiler and the CD-creator. Alright, I admit it...I use Vista. I don't want any bashing for that, though!). Is there any way to develop Jaq games (Both cart and CD) and expansion discs (It's my new idea...it's a Jag CD that adds to a cartridge game, enhancing gameplay and other stuff. In the development bin, there's currently Flashback and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure.).

I know what you're thinking now..."Flashback CD!? Why!? Those CGI cutscenes don't use rotoscoping!". Let me just get out of the way a few things that you should find in the expansion disc release.

• The Sega CD port's soundtrack is to be included, plus a few extras.
  • The item display is gone, leaving item use to the keypad. Option, although still allowing inventory-checking, won't pause gameplay.
  • A few of the CGI motion capture (At least I think.) cutscenes will be slightly enhanced, so expect an improved introduction.
  • Expect the Sega CD's in-game voice work to be included, only without interrupting gameplay.

Here is an image of the keypad overlay.post-21469-1227717598_thumb.png

Another Vista user reported that the dev tools work under Vista. Only issue is things like the BJL loader, or alpine software which talk directly to the printer port. If they don't work under Vista your current alternatives are. Run the tools under Dosbox, use a Virtual Machine to run Windows 9X/Dos and use the tools under that. Dual boot Windows 9X/Dos and use the tools there. Run the Linux tools under your favorite Linux OS. Or use the Atari tools on an Atari machine.

I have the DOS based dev tools on my site if you haven't got them yet.

http://www.hillsoftware.com

So your goal is to make a new Pitfall and Flashback cartridge an bundle it with an enhanced CD? Cause you can't boot a JagCD with any "standard" game cart in the Jaguar. So the only way your going to to do this with a standard Jag would be to make a new cart that accesses your extra content CD.

It seems very hard to develop for the Jag. I'm having problems my self (DOS-like software won't work on my OS. All that's working is the image-compiler and the CD-creator. Alright, I admit it...I use Vista. I don't want any bashing for that, though!).

The official Jaguar tools work flawlessly under Vista according to several folks I've talked to.

However, if you hang around, there are tools on the way that will blow the Atari dev kit to

smithereens.

The will run on all windows platforms as well as mac and linux...in fact there is no reason

why these tools cant be ported to other system OS's.

VAX Atari Jag dev kit... :P

Is there any way to develop Jaq games (Both cart and CD) and expansion discs (It's my new idea...it's a Jag CD that adds to a cartridge game, enhancing gameplay and other stuff.

I've had this idea for about tens years actually. :D

I know what you're thinking now..."Flashback CD!? Why!? Those CGI cutscenes don't use rotoscoping!". Let me just get out of the way a few things that you should find in the expansion disc release.

• The Sega CD port's soundtrack is to be included, plus a few extras.
  • The item display is gone, leaving item use to the keypad. Option, although still allowing inventory-checking, won't pause gameplay.
  • A few of the CGI motion capture (At least I think.) cutscenes will be slightly enhanced, so expect an improved introduction.
  • Expect the Sega CD's in-game voice work to be included, only without interrupting gameplay.

Here is an image of the keypad overlay.post-21469-1227717598_thumb.png

Be careful about using protected IP's. It's a touchy subject around here so, that's all I'll say on the subject. ;)

Also, cant wait to see what you come up with and there is a wiki over at JSII that holds a few example lessons

if you are interested.