flashjazzcat Posted November 28, 2008 Share Posted November 28, 2008 (edited) Hello! This is my first post on the AtariAge forum, and I'm pleased to offer some new software for the Atari 8-bits in the form of a word processor called "The Last Word". I wrote the program in 1999/2000 using my own MA65 assembler (which I'll also be sharing shortly) but it never saw the light of day. Now, nearly ten years later, I've dusted off my old Atari equipment and got a few of my disks transferred to the PC. Owing to numerous problems with the transfer process, I don't yet have a copy of the manual or source code, but I hope to offer those for download within the next few weeks. The Last Word (version 2.1) was an attempt to combine the best features of popular word processors like Textpro, Paperclip, and the 1st XLent Word Processor into one program. The program is written in very tight, pure machine code, and is designed to work well with all popular DOS packages, and offers special features for SpartaDOS and SpartaDOS X users. The Last Word offers a macro language, multi-file editing on a 130XE, a disk utlility menu akin to that found in SpartaDOS, high speed editing of large files, a comprehensive online help facility (just press the Help key), advanced formatting commands including multiple heading levels and indenting, a fast, scrolling 80 column print preview mode, printer driver editor, user-written machine code extensions and much more. From a programming point of view, The Last Word attains its editing speed from the fact that the text buffer is not held contiguously in memory: text is quickly shuffled around using a pointer system so that text insertion does not slow down no matter how large the file. The program makes no use of OS floating point or CIO routines apart from when carrying out disk operations. The program was a very interesting project: I wrote it because no other program available at the time offered all the features I needed, and - amazingly - in the year 2000, the 8-bit was still my primary computing platform. It's been fun to see my program running smoothly on the Atari800Win Plus emulator and I hope it's of interest to other enthusiasts. As I say - source code and documentation will hopefully follow soon. The program is presented as an AtariDOS image file here: The Last Word - with NTSC fix The execuatable file is LW.COM. The program should be run with BASIC disabled (SpartaDOS X users should run the program using the "X" command). Feedback welcome. In the meantime - enjoy! Jonathan Halliday Edited November 29, 2008 by flashjazzcat Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.