IGNORED

NES: The REAL Super Mario 2

The famicom disk system gave the games better sounding music and slightly better graphics. Mario 2 did have a official famicon release also. and the game is not so diffrent from the original asides the updated graphics. It is not really worth it that much. In fact when the SNES had the download service, they had the same game for download.

I would just buy a powerpack and stay away from any pirate services ;)

So that is what is on the Super Mario All Stars cart and Wii virtual console? Just a hacked SBM1.

I think this only applies for the NES

Then what is the SMB2 pirate cart that I bought in 1989? Is that a hack? :?

I would think so but dont take me 100% on it, gamereproductions.com was the one that gave me that answer based on the fact that they cant reproduce Famicom Disk System games

the game you are referencing is not the real SMB2, it is the japanese SMB2.

Considering how the japanese SMB2 came first and SMB2 in the rest of the world is just a sprite hacked version of Doki Doki Panic, then yeah, I think it's fair to call it the "real" SMB2.

the game you are referencing is not the real SMB2, it is the japanese SMB2.

Considering how the japanese SMB2 came first and SMB2 in the rest of the world is just a sprite hacked version of Doki Doki Panic, then yeah, I think it's fair to call it the "real" SMB2.

Considering the US cart, instruction booklet, and title screen all say "Super Mario Bros. 2" then that would make it the real SMB 2. No revisionist rationalization can change any of those number 2s or the Nintendo seal of quality that makes the game more than a doki doki panic sprite hack.

japanese and american games often have different titles

no amount of revisionism can break the logic of whatever name is printed on an official cart cannot be changed 20 years later.

if one wants to argue about which game is better, which game fits better in the series, etc. then go right ahead. but the idea that the name given to a game in japan trumps the english name is silly.

japanese and american games often have different titles

True, but they typicaly don't rename them as a sequal to that of another existing and different series.

Dragon Quest 2 became Dragon Warrior 2, NOT Bad Street Brawler 2.

That's the fundamental problem in this particular case. They took a completely different game, and named it as a sequal of something else, rather then just give it it's own unique Americanized name as they did with everything else.

As correct as your statement is, this case doesn't follow in line of the same convention.

no amount of revisionism can break the logic of whatever name is printed on an official cart cannot be changed 20 years later.

Doesn't change the true chronological order or what it "really" is either.

You see, Japan often thought we Amercians were stupid and renamed games as well as skipped entire sequels of series and renumbered them accordingly for the US. Just look at the Final Fantasy series. FF JP = FF US, the real FF2 and FF3 were never released in the US, FF4 JP = FF2 US, the real FF5 wasn't released in the US either, so FF6 JP = FF3 US.

Some other sources of reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2

http://cityninja.wordpress.com/2006/08/14/...i-mario-panic2/

http://www.vc-reviews.com/games/nes/super_...the_lost_levels

http://progressiveboink.com/archive/dokidokipanic.html

http://www.recycledgaming.com/nes-super-ma...oki-doki-panic/

http://www.sydlexia.com/smb2j.htm

http://loot-ninja.com/2008/07/17/retro-rev...rio-bros-2-nes/

I can spend all day postings 100's of simmilar links that say the same thing. Find me even one link that says SMB2 US is the real one even in the context of US only games that doesn't reference SMB2 JP and DDP. ;)

SMB2 US is SMB2 in name only, it is not the SMB2 however, it's not even from the same series of game.

Edited by Artlover

Hi guys,

To be honest, I enjoyed SMB 2 USA alot better then SMB 2 Japan. I like the gameplay, music, and twist at the end in which it was all but a dream.

Heck, it was those early concepts of which it gave a player a certain shock that it wasn't real at all (in Video Game Land of course).

Yes, even though it was a Doki Doki Panic game, but leave it to Nintendo to add a pinch here, and a dash there to chance a good game, to a better game.

Anthony....

Yes, even though it was a Doki Doki Panic game, but leave it to Nintendo to add a pinch here, and a dash there to chance a good game, to a better game.

Add a pinch here and a dash there? Eh? Pretty much all they did was change some sprites and the name.

post-2829-1229028857_thumb.pngpost-2829-1229028870_thumb.jpgpost-2829-1229028881_thumb.jpg

post-2829-1229028909_thumb.pngpost-2829-1229028904_thumb.png

post-2829-1229028921_thumb.pngpost-2829-1229028917_thumb.png

post-2829-1229028960.gifpost-2829-1229028956.gif

post-2829-1229028952_thumb.jpgpost-2829-1229028946_thumb.jpg

SMB2 US is SMB2 in name only, it is not the SMB2 however, it's not even from the same series of game.

ninja stars, bobombs, and birdo have since made appearances in other mario games and the title was re-released as a mario bros. game in japan

it is part of the series, though it has a bastard status, like zelda ii and castlevania ii,

I can spend all day postings 100's of simmilar links that say the same thing. Find me even one link that says SMB2 US is the real one even in the context of US only games that doesn't reference SMB2 JP and DDP. ;)

here is one

http://images.google.com/images?q=super%20...sa=N&tab=wi

the vast majority of images that come up are from the US version of SMB2. the first image from SMB2j is number 14 on the list

it is what it is and you or george lucas or any other female-backwards-logic can change that

What exactly do the results of google search prove? :ponder:

Of course you'll find hits for SMB2 US. You'll find lots of flat out wrong information on the internet about everything that Google will happily point you too.

To that end, try "clicking" on some of those hits you provided. Guess what they all say: Hacked Doki Doki Panic. :P

Edited by Artlover

here is one

http://images.google.com/images?q=super%20...sa=N&tab=wi

the vast majority of images that come up are from the US version of SMB2. the first image from SMB2j is number 14 on the list

it is what it is and you or george lucas or any other female-backwards-logic can change that

If you know Japanese, trying putting SMB2 here:

http://images.google.co.jp/imghp?hl=ja&tab=wi

Add a pinch here and a dash there? Eh? Pretty much all they did was change some sprites and the name.

post-2829-1229028857_thumb.pngpost-2829-1229028870_thumb.jpgpost-2829-1229028881_thumb.jpg

post-2829-1229028909_thumb.pngpost-2829-1229028904_thumb.png

post-2829-1229028921_thumb.pngpost-2829-1229028917_thumb.png

post-2829-1229028960.gifpost-2829-1229028956.gif

post-2829-1229028952_thumb.jpgpost-2829-1229028946_thumb.jpg

Hahaha....One thing about Artlover, he a damn good counter-attacker. A cool cat and those are some serious looking pictures to show.

Anthony....

I think the main reason SMB2j gets such a following is because it's something exotic that we didn't get, not because it's a good sequel.

It's really just a challenge mode of mostly the same game, not a proper sequel. They could have maybe sold it as a sideline thing, like "Super Mario Wants To Be The Guy" or something. But to release it as a sequel would have been a disappointment, and I think NoA was trying to maintain higher standards.

The game we got was equally low-effort being hacked from the Doki game, but since that wasn't released here it was all new from our standpoint.

Nintendo apparently wanted to cash in on SMB's popularity but didn't have a game ready, so they had to hack something. Japan hacked SMB1, North America hacked a game which was otherwise unreleased here. The latter was a better move, but not an option in Japan obviously.

That said, I'd still love to have a copy of the Japanese SMB2. But I don't think it's much of a sequel and Nintendo did the right thing to find something better to export.

I think the main reason SMB2j gets such a following is because it's something exotic that we didn't get, not because it's a good sequel.

It's really just a challenge mode of mostly the same game, not a proper sequel. They could have maybe sold it as a sideline thing, like "Super Mario Wants To Be The Guy" or something. But to release it as a sequel would have been a disappointment, and I think NoA was trying to maintain higher standards.

I dunno. "Proper Sequel" - Whats that? A sequel is just that, a continuation of the previous. There is no inherent requirement, need, or want of it to be something completely different.

To that end, SMB2 JP IS a proper sequal. I don't consider SMB2 US to be a proper sequel any more then I consider Donkey Kong 3 a sequel to DK and DK Jr.

If you look at a lot of sequel games - just changing the levels and difficulty around are not exactly new or foreign in the US.

Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong Jr

Pac-Man - Ms Pac-Man

Space Invaders - Space Invaders Deluxe

Asteroids - Asteroids 2

Defender - Defender 2

Gutterball - Gutterball 2

Dragon Warrior - Dragon Warrior (insert # here)

Mega Man - MegaMan (insert # here)

Legend of Zelda - Zelda 2 Adventures of Link

Personally, before SMB2 ever came out and we SMB players would talk about wanting a new SMB game, we assumed it would be simmilar.

I've read all those same quotes about Nintendo saying SMB2 JP was to similar and difficult. But it begs to ask the question: Why did they only care about that then and why only for that game? I just find it odd that they took the unique approach they did here, because their official excuse doesn't exactly hold much water in comparison as it doesn't reflect their actions before or after with other things. What I would actually venture to guess is this: Mario sprite hacks of games were not uncommon, and Mario was hugely popular. I think this reflects more a realization that they had a character they could exploit. Think about it. How many mario games are there. Even in the context of discussing SMB2, it's moot because we still got both versions, as did the Japanese (Not unsurprizingly, the box art for Super Mario USA (Jap version of SMB2 US) uses the same box artwork as Doki Doki Panic.)

It's not that SMB2 US is bad, it's not, it's a great game, but it's not SMB either, and I think that has more to do with exploitation more then anything else.

Getting it is one thing.

Beating it is another. It's hidden on the old Game Boy Color title Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. as a bonus. And IT IS INSANELY HARD!! I only made it as far as world 8-3. In fact, its high difficulty has been said to be the main reason why it was never released in the US originally. So just be warned.

Getting it is one thing.

Beating it is another. It's hidden on the old Game Boy Color title Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. as a bonus. And IT IS INSANELY HARD!! I only made it as far as world 8-3. In fact, its high difficulty has been said to be the main reason why it was never released in the US originally. So just be warned.

i beat it on the super mario all star cart for the snes. you can max out your lives on world 1-1