IGNORED

Looking for Java programmer to help make simple games for cell phone market

Supermarket

Hey guys- I hope this isn't pushing the boundaries of this forum- but I'm currently looking for a Java-savvy programmer who might be interested in collaborating in the development of several simple games designed for the cell-phone download marketplace.

As an atari fan, much inspiration has been drawn from the proncipals of vintage 2600 gameplay, and as such should appeal to the AtariAge crowd and the general public alike.

My partner and I will be representing our business 'danimations' at a forum mid next year, where prototypes of games will be pitched to potential investors and buyers of the content, so we're serious about making this work. We're based in Australia, but the programmers' whereabouts should not stand in the way of a healthy collaboration.

Drop me a line via email, pm or our website: http://www.danimations.com.au

This is what I know about Java programming for mobile devices.

To program Java apps for Mobile devices.

Download and Install Java SE development kit.

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfini...S-CDS_Developer

Download and Install Wireless Toolkit 2.5.2 (or higher).

http://java.sun.com/products/sjwtoolkit/download.html

Note : Both files are downloadable freely on Sun (Java) web site.

You need to run the Wireless Toolkit for everything : to open a project, to create a project, to compile a project and to test a project with a mobile device emulator included in the kit. So open it and keep it open in the background during the time you code in Java with your favorite notepad clone.

The kit came with a bunch of demo projects including a few you can't run with the mobile device emulator because it need a real device with a real phone communication to work properly.

I was able to experiment a little bit and I did a kind of text adventure, but I can't let you guys try it or even get the source code because it was a contract for a company. What I did was called a MIDlet, which is a kind of Java applet for mobile device, perfect for smartphones. But, for a more advance mobile device, you can do a Spotlet which is almost the same expect that you got more power and possibilities with a library named kawa. In both case, your application will use CLDC (L is for limited) in opposition of CDC, this is important to know when it will be time for you to start a new project, to configure it well.

Because of limits of RAM and CPU power, you have to use a lot of optimization tricks and the following list is a simplified one :

MEMORY OPTIMIZATION

Do not have non-essential elements.

Compress your compiled project in JAR format (automatically done by the kit).

Use strickly simple data types rather than classes when it's possible.

Always set to null no-more used objects. Don't think the garbage collector will do the job for you.

Create objects only when needed, not all the objects right from the beginning.

Re-use alot.

Avoid exceptions.

For "client-server" apps, let the server do almost all the work.

SPEED OPTIMIZATION

Use local variables.

Avoid concatenation of arrays or strings like : "paul " + "is eating " + "an apple."

Use threads and avoid synchronization.

Separate logic code from graphic code. (MVC)

No floating point. (primitive mobile devices don't support floating point anyway)

And you can't use the following classes :

ClassLoader, Compiler, InheritableThreadLocal, Number, Package, Process, RuntimePermission, SecurityManager, StrictMath, ThreadGroup, ThreadLocal, Void.

CATHEGORIES OF JAVA APPS

MIDlet = MIDP + CLDC + KVM (16-bit or 32-bit) <- smartphones

Spotlet = KJava + CLCD +KVM (16-bit or 32-bit) <- palm?

other J2ME apps = Foundation Profile + CDC + CVM (32-bit)

J2SE apps = J2SE + JVM (32-bit or 64-bit) <- PC

MOBILE DEVICE TECH (IN GENERAL)

160 to 512 kilobytes of total memory available for the Java platform.

Limited power, often battery powered.

Often with a wireless, inconsistent connection and with limited bandwidth.

User interfaces with varying degrees of sophistication; sometimes with no interface at all.

Some devices supported by CLDC include wireless phones, pagers, mainstream PDAs, and small retail payment terminals.

I'm writing all this because I don't think I can help you guys, but maybe a real Atari programmer may want to give it a try. Good luck!

Edited by newcoleco

• 3 weeks later...