IGNORED

Commodore 64 programming books

tugboat450

What is the best commodore 64 programming book for beginners? I just got one today and the books I have are too complicated for me. So which book explains it the best?

Thanks!

I don't know what book is considered the "best", but this one assumes no programing knowledge whatsoever:

The Elementary Commodore 64

William B. Sanders

Datamost, inc.

ISBN 088190001X

What is the best commodore 64 programming book for beginners? I just got one today and the books I have are too complicated for me. So which book explains it the best?

The ones that always get mentioned are Jim Butterfield "Learning Machine Code Programming on the Commodore 64 (and other Commodore computers)" and "Programming the Commodore 64" Raeto Colin West; Americans more often than not list the former, Europeans the latter. Whilst it's nowhere near as easy to actually learn from, i'd recommend having a look at the C64 Programmer's Reference Guide as well.

most of the books TMR mentioned are oavailable on the internet, project 64 or whatever it was called and the jim butterfield book is available as part of a series of ML tutrials packed into a 11/12 meg file availalbe from CDSB/or was it CSDB

unfortunately i can't recall the exactly name of either website

Thanks!

Well any 6502 book will do. You just have to know where all the "Usefull" things are in RAM, Sound Genorator, Graphics Mode Selector, Screen Stat Pointer, Etc.

And alot of people can tell you where those are.

I'd go with a TRS-80 Color Computer 2 tho, Better Micro, And I can help you with that. Here's an link to a decent emulator.

http://members.cox.net/javacoco/

Aaron

• 7 months later...

The best book I've got is an original C= 64 programer's reference guide. Published by Commodore Business Machines and Howard W. Sams & Co., Inc. Copyright 1982 First edition seventh printing-1983

If it would be kosher, I would scan the whole thing over time and do a PDF some day.

I also still got the schemtic foldout from the back of the book... somewhere :)

Edited by grafixbmp

The best book I've got is an original C= 64 programer's reference guide. Published by Commodore Business Machines and Howard W. Sams & Co., Inc. Copyright 1982 First edition seventh printing-1983

If it would be kosher, I would scan the whole thing over time and do a PDF some day.

I also still got the schemtic foldout from the back of the book... somewhere :)

To save you time I thought I'd mention that the C64 Programmers Reference Guide is already on the internet in various forms in: text file, html, and scanned to PDF formats.

Garak