IGNORED

Wanting to program a text based game for the 2600

GameboyReviewer

Alright ladies and gentlemen of the Kingdom of Atariage. I have a question to inquire you al about. I recently played Dark Mage and loves it. I was wondering does any one here know how to program a text game for the 2600. I've been a fan of them since zork and its always been a dream of mine to make a text based adventure game. I would also like to try and get a hold of the programmer of Dark Mage. So if anybody has any comments on how I can create a text based game or contact the creator please tell me, thank you everybody. Also Earth 2050 is coming out soon, keep in eye out for it in the next few weeks or so, peace.

I have a very nice text display engine which should allow a practical amount of text to be stored on a 32K cart. The text must be pre-formatted onto lines of 26 characters, each of which must be divided into 13 character-pairs. The lines of text must then be subdivided into groups such that the lines in each group can be drawn with common set of about 248 character pairs.

Somewhat irksome as restrictions go, but 26x20 display is nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 1

Really, any chance I can get a copy?

I have a very nice text display engine which should allow a practical amount of text to be stored on a 32K cart. The text must be pre-formatted onto lines of 26 characters, each of which must be divided into 13 character-pairs. The lines of text must then be subdivided into groups such that the lines in each group can be drawn with common set of about 248 character pairs.

Somewhat irksome as restrictions go, but 26x20 display is nothing to sneeze at.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Unfortinately there wont't be much to read.

One Page (A4) of Text takes about 2 KB.

Even if you use just 32 Characters (5 Byte per character) its still 1250 Byte.

When using a 32KB Cartridge its 25 Pages max.

Not to forget the actual Programm...

So, unless you are not using some sort of compression technique, I think 20 Pages is realistic.