IGNORED

XEGS cart compatiblity list

ApolloBoy

I did some testing earlier today to figure out the memory requirements for all the XEGS carts (except for Donkey Kong and Eastern Front 1941 which are rereleases), and I think this is a pretty definitive list. Let me know if there any inaccuracies.

Ace of Aces - 64K

Airball - 64K

Archon - 48K

Ballblazer - 48K

Barnyard Blaster - 48K

Battlezone - 48K

Blue Max - 48K

Bug Hunt - 48K

Choplifter - 64K

Crime Buster - 48K

Crossbow - 48K

Crystal Castles - 64K

Dark Chambers - 64K

David's Midnight Magic - 64K

Desert Falcon - 48K

Fight Night - 48K

Flight Simulator II - 64K (this actually produces an error message when run on a 400 or 800)

Food Fight - 64K

GATO - 48K (I think; I don't know how to play it so I'm not sure if there are any glitches when playing it on a 48K system)

Hardball - 64K

Into the Eagle's Nest - 64K

Karateka - 64K

Lode Runner - 48K

Mario Bros. - 64K

Necromancer - 16K (I was pretty surprised by this one)

One-on-One Basketball - 48K

Rescue on Fractalus - 48K

Star Raiders II - 16K

Summer Games - 64K

Thunderfox - 48K

• Like 5

Some updates here; I pulled out one of the 16K RAM cards in my 800 to do some more testing, and so far three of the above carts will work on a 32K machine:

-Bug Hunt

-Crossbow

-Thunderfox

Those are the only ones I could test, though. I would check some more through emulation, but Atari800MacX doesn't emulate a 32K system, and I only own a few XE carts.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I did some testing earlier today to figure out the memory requirements for all the XEGS carts (except for Donkey Kong and Eastern Front 1941 which are rereleases), and I think this is a pretty definitive list. Let me know if there any inaccuracies.

Hardball - 64K

Mario Bros. - 64K

Hardball and Mario Bros seem to run alright with 48K in Altirra. I didn't test all the ones you have listed as 64K, just six or seven of them, so there could be more.

I did test all the ones you have listed as 48K, and none of them would run with 32K in Altirra.

• Like 1

Hardball and Mario Bros seem to run alright with 48K in Altirra. I didn't test all the ones you have listed as 64K, just six or seven of them, so there could be more.

I don't know about Hardball as I don't have it, but I know that Mario Bros. refuses to boot on a 48K system. I have an 800 and an actual cart and I just get a blank screen.

I did test all the ones you have listed as 48K, and none of them would run with 32K in Altirra.

The three games I pointed out in my last post work fine with 32K on an actual system (used my old 800 with one of the memory cards pulled out).

The three games I pointed out in my last post work fine with 32K on an actual system (used my old 800 with one of the memory cards pulled out).

Sorry, I meant all the ones you said you weren't able to test because Atari800MacX didn't support 32K. I didn't test the ones you listed as 32K, assuming you must have them right.

...but I know that Mario Bros. refuses to boot on a 48K system. I have an 800 and an actual cart and I just get a blank screen.

Hmmmm... I thought I remembered having run that on my 48K 800 before, hence the reason why I tested it first. I could be wrong though, and now I have no way to test on real hardware because I don't have an 800 anymore. Strange that Altirra would run it...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ace of Aces - 64K

Airball - 64K

Archon - 48K

Ballblazer - 48K

Barnyard Blaster - 48K

Battlezone - 48K

Blue Max - 48K

Bug Hunt - 48K

Choplifter - 64K

Crime Buster - 48K

Crossbow - 48K

Crystal Castles - 64K

Dark Chambers - 64K

David's Midnight Magic - 64K

Desert Falcon - 48K

Fight Night - 48K

Flight Simulator II - 64K (this actually produces an error message when run on a 400 or 800)

Food Fight - 64K

GATO - 48K (I think; I don't know how to play it so I'm not sure if there are any glitches when playing it on a 48K system)

Hardball - 64K

Into the Eagle's Nest - 64K

Karateka - 64K

Lode Runner - 48K

Mario Bros. - 64K

Necromancer - 16K (I was pretty surprised by this one)

One-on-One Basketball - 48K

Rescue on Fractalus - 48K

Star Raiders II - 16K

Summer Games - 64K

Thunderfox - 48K

My new Blue Max cartridge doesn't work on my 600 XL - the manual says "requires XE or XL computer" - thank you Atari CORP.!

Does the tape-version work on a 600 XL?

• 4 months later...

Testing compatibility in the emulators is bogus, some of them will work under OS-B 48K emulation, but in reality do not work on real hardware... one to point out which is listed above as 48K is Lode Runner, which does not work on a 48K 800 (same black screen as Mario Bros, which also does not work). I think someone needs to modify this list based on real world testing and not emulation.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Yeah it search me why those game lists and compatibility of games with those atari 8bit systems just become a mix bag of a mess,

not mention the fact that there are 2 versions of certain games like donkeykong and DK jr etc,,, (1 for the atari 400 and 1 for the atari xe or they require a ram upgrade or a certain AOS to make them work on a atari 400 or 800)

why couldn’t there be just a crystall clear list of individual games for each system for systems wich require an upgrade to make them work???

and why didn’t atari just made a mario bros game for the atari 400 and sell that version as a atari xe game as well LATER ON,why coming up later with mario bros for the atari xe instead and render it to be incompatible with the atari 400???

because both sellers,reviewers and buyers will get confused because of this,

what atari could,ve done was design later games with both the atari 400 and atari xe in mind or they should,ve also aside from donkeykong & donkeykong jr etc,,, also come with 2 versions of mario bros for both the atari 400 and atari xe to get around that,but sadly they just didn’t,

my point being is that i bought both the atari 400 and mariobros among other games and believing that those games should work on it including mario bros ,but no becsuse of it’s different AOS,limited ram and probably limited colorpallet (trough i still do assume that donkeykong,dk jr,pacman,popeye among other games i bought should work on my stock atari 400 right???) ,

well anyway if a homebrewer did made a version of mario bros wich also works on a stock atari 400,i would definitely appreciate that,(whether the xe or 5200 port of it)

and lastly,if we want a game to run on a 8kB atari 400 but still want to make it 64KB in size,we might could use a bankswitching chip inside the cartride to swap data in & out that 8kB ram by splitting and designing that 64KB rom into sections of 8KB,so imagine a 64kB rom of mario bros for the stock atari 400 with this technic in mind,would be really great😁

Edited by johannesmutlu

I’m confused by this thread.  Are we really asking why Atari Corp. in the late 80s didn’t make a game for a system released in the late 70s by Atari Inc? And on top of that why it doesn’t work with the minimum RAM configuration of the 400?  Remember Atari Inc did release a 48K upgrade for the 400.  So let’s be a little clear here what we are asking for.  For a moment I’m thinking why Commodore didn’t release C128 games for the VIC20.  🙃    

anyway, I understand the confusion and some frustration of why someone buying a base 400 might be upset that a XEGS branded cart doesn’t work.  But then again, I also don’t.  

or are we griping about the list not being clear enough, yet the packaging the game came with was.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kheller2 said:

I’m confused by this thread.  Are we really asking why Atari Corp. in the late 80s didn’t make a game for a system released in the late 70s by Atari Inc? And on top of that why it doesn’t work with the minimum RAM configuration of the 400?  Remember Atari Inc did release a 48K upgrade for the 400.  So let’s be a little clear here what we are asking for.  For a moment I’m thinking why Commodore didn’t release C128 games for the VIC20.  🙃    

anyway, I understand the confusion and some frustration of why someone buying a base 400 might be upset that a XEGS branded cart doesn’t work.  But then again, I also don’t.  

or are we griping about the list not being clear enough, yet the packaging the game came with was.  

Well it is very simple why i was claiming about the atari 400 being incompatible with xegs games,that’s because both hardware systems are the same and also the type of cartride are exactly the same,the only difference is that the atari xe does have a different AOS system and extra ram ,the vic20 is a very different system,different cartride port and it’s video and audio chips are different compared to the C128,and it also only has 5KB of ram,that’s why the C128 is incompatible with vic20 games and vice versa,BUT i do understand what you mean off course,

yes i know that the atari 400 is upgradible with a 48 ram card but the question is ,does it really per se require soldering stuff or can it work straight with it by simply plug in inside the machine???

23 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

Yes, any RAM upgrade beyond 16(32?)k requires soldering. 

I picked up one of Jurgen's 48/52Kb cards. I haven't installed it in my 400 yet, but I was thinking it was just a plug-in install? From your comment I'm assuming that's not the case?

I really need to pull that thing out and get it installed. I guess that'll be a good winter project.