IGNORED

What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version?

Zap!

Juno First (soon to be remedied)?

Are you saying that this is soon to be released for something? What? This is an old favorite. I love this game and would love to own it for a home console or portable. It is a Konami classic IMO.

edit: Although maybe not considered consoles, Wikipedia has this listed as being released for the Commodore 64 and MSX. Wish I had of known at the time. I owned a Commodore long time ago.

Edited by in the dark

Mad Planets never got a home port, AFAIK. It would have been sweet.

Did Black Tiger ever get a console port back in the day? I know about the C64 version and the emulation on the Capcom Collection disc. but I'm unaware of any console port.

Astro-Blaster didn't get any console love until it was made available on the PSP as part of the Genesis Collection. (On the other hand, I think Megamania was based on it.)

Aliens Vs Predator. The Capcom scrolling beat 'em up.

Was the TRON arcade game ever actually done on a console? I don't think so...

The original TRON arcade game was included as a part of "Tron 2.0" for Game Boy advance. It uses the shoulder buttons to try to emulate the spinning knob - which isn't as good, but was the best solution as far as what could be done on the GBA. As far as I know, this was the only iteration of Tron arcade game you could buy.

So does this "count?" It's the Tron arcade game you can play at home (or anywhere). It's also part of another game. I don't understand this splitting hairs about "doesn't count if it's emulation" or "doesn't count as part of an arcade compilation 20 years later." It's the ability to play the arcade game at home - that much can't be disputed. What more is the point? You can split hairs infinitely on your own....

It seems a little unfair that we can't include compilation carts. I can play Zookeeper on my PS2 any time I want to.

Because it violates the basic spirit of the question.

If you want to include things like that then we might as well say any console that can run MAME counts too.

Its available of live arcade... as is disc of tron... two titles that were a must have .. thanks xbox...

Not really sure if this should count either for simmilar reasons.

When Frogger or Zaxxon was made for the home consoles & computers, it was specificly made for each as a seperate entitity. It wasn't just a copy of the arcade roms running inside a platform specific engine. Which is all any of this stuff is doing.

• Like 1

Shock Troopers on MVS I don't think made it anywhere. Didn't make it to neo geo AES for sure. (maybe saturn...) awesome game though.

and I know my beloved "pachinko sexy reaction" never made it anywhere. I'd love to have a bartop version of that game.

Edited by Reaperman

It's the ability to play the arcade game at home - that much can't be disputed. What more is the point?

Maybe that that isn't what the OP asked? :ponder:

The question is "What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version?" as it says in the thread title on your screen. Was there ever a question what the o.p asked? It's on the screen. That is exactly what we are talking about. Now what is your point? Mine was that you're splitting hairs pointlessly.

If you can play it on a console version - that is, if it WAS SOLD FOR A CONSOLE then the answer is "YES." If you don't like arcade compilations, don't like packages that you suspect are emulation, don't like games by Midway, don't like purple packages, etc...etc.. and "don't want to include" some games based on that fact, knock yourself out. Namco Museum is still a console version of Dig Dug. Whether you care for it or not, or choose to include it, or not, is your business. Who really cares whether or not you do? The original post was didn't say" What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version, but don't count arcade compilations 20+ years later and let Artlover pick and choose what counts." That's your whacko idea.

As far as MAME is concerned, of course it shold not count because: (1) It was never for sale on any console, and is ususally used illegally, (2) It can play ANY arcade game, so there'd be no point in even asking the original question.

Hmm, outside of emulation, Championship Sprint comes to mind. I don't think Star Castle was ever poster to console, either, at least not with that name.

Barring that, SCUD Race and Star Wars Episode I Racer Arcade were never ported to consoles. Sega's arcade version of Racer is very different than the Lucasarts version that was released for home users. IMO, it's also a lot more fun, too.

Oh, yeah Space Duel was made for the 7800 last year, so it's out there now for use at home.

The question is "What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version?" as it says in the thread title on your screen. Was there ever a question what the o.p asked? It's on the screen. That is exactly what we are talking about. Now what is your point? Mine was that you're splitting hairs pointlessly.

If you can play it on a console version - that is, if it WAS SOLD FOR A CONSOLE then the answer is "YES." If you don't like arcade compilations, don't like packages that you suspect are emulation, don't like games by Midway, don't like purple packages, etc...etc.. and "don't want to include" some games based on that fact, knock yourself out. Namco Museum is still a console version of Dig Dug. Whether you care for it or not, or choose to include it, or not, is your business. Who really cares whether or not you do? The original post was didn't say" What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version, but don't count arcade compilations 20+ years later and let Artlover pick and choose what counts." That's your whacko idea.

As far as MAME is concerned, of course it shold not count because: (1) It was never for sale on any console, and is ususally used illegally, (2) It can play ANY arcade game, so there'd be no point in even asking the original question.

Why doesn't MAME count? You're splitting hairs pointlessly!

You mention arcade compilations 20+ years after the fact, and that's the crux of the matter. Yes, Black Tiger got a readily available console port by way of a Capcom Collection 20 years after the arcade game did it's rounds, but it wasn't a timely adaptation. Arcade and console gaming is all about the here and now.

I propose the 5 year rule. If we say a home version has to be released within 5 years of it's arcade parent, then I think we catch the games which were really contemporary home versions of the arcade games.

Yes, Pac Man Plus got home conversions in Pac Man Collection 7800, Pac Man Collection Colecovision, and at least one plug and play device. That doesn't mean much in a historical classical gaming sense, though.

you can try an unoffical port for c64 called Crazy comets.

Has Bubbles and Splat from williams any port? (I like Food Fight more than Splat anyway).And Jungler from Konami?

Rally-x has a MSX port. There was fans making a port for atari 8 bit computers (from atariware.cl), looks very good but I think It's cancelled :(

Why doesn't MAME count? You're splitting hairs pointlessly!

Because MAME plays EVERYTHING and there wouldn't be any point in ASKING THE QUESTION IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Can you get that through your head? Challenged, are we? Don't understand that MAME plays everything so why the question? Work on it, and get back to me.

That's splitting hairs pointlessly? I'd say your "5 year rule" does.

OK guys, no need to argue, I'm the OP of this thread, so let me clear up a few things. In no way should MAME ever count. If you can't buy a boxed version in stores (or even mail-order, official non-pirated releases), then it was never made into a console game, period.

Do compilations 25 years later count? Let's say yes now, but we can divide my question into tweo different categories. Arcade games that never came out for a system orginally, and arcade games that never even came out on a compilation.

I'll start. Operation Wolf 3. A 1994 arcade game, it was never released on ANYTHING.

Some of my favorites:

Head On 2 - a more complex sequel to Head On (which was adapted to the 2600 as Dodge 'em)

Gypsy Juggler - a paddle game where you try to keep 4 eggs in the air at once. Could have been done on the 2600 pretty easily, I think.

Tailgunner - this fun 3D shooter would have been a perfect candidate for conversion to the Vectrex.

Avalanche - Great paddle game. Kaboom! is a close approximation, though.

How about FRONT LINE, a nice Taito release from the early 80's, and one of my favorites..... Was that ever released ON AN ARCADE COMPILATION? I know it never came out on the consoles back in the day, but did it ever come out ON ANYTHING?

front line came out back in the day

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...wareLabelID=198

the reason compilations shouldnt count is that part of the fun of collecting and getting into gaming history is seeing how a port of an arcade game plays on inferior hardware. how much had to be sacrificed, how do the graphics and gameplay hold up, what levels are missing, etc.

at least that is how i approach arcade ports on classic systems.

compilation discs on modern systems are great, they help me get over any guilt i had for playing their ROMs in MAME. I want to support IP owners of old arcade games, and these discs allow me to do that. but i see them more as actual arcade games, not home ports.

Edited by chrisbid

How about FRONT LINE, a nice Taito release from the early 80's, and one of my favorites..... Was that ever released ON AN ARCADE COMPILATION? I know it never came out on the consoles back in the day, but did it ever come out ON ANYTHING?

Front Line was available on the Colecovision as well as currently being available on Taito Legends 2.

you can try an unoffical port for c64 called Crazy comets.

Has Bubbles and Splat from williams any port? (I like Food Fight more than Splat anyway).And Jungler from Konami?

Rally-x has a MSX port. There was fans making a port for atari 8 bit computers (from atariware.cl), looks very good but I think It's cancelled :(

Jungler was released on the Arcadia 2001.

compilation discs on modern systems are great, they help me get over any guilt i had for playing their ROMs in MAME. I want to support IP owners of old arcade games, and these discs allow me to do that. but i see them more as actual arcade games, not home ports.

Because they are actual arcade games, not home ports. Virtually all compilation discs are using emulation.

To that end, some compliation discs, such as Taito Legends, uses MAME code in it's emulation engine. So how does THAT figure in to this? :ponder: