IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 36 *Pengo*

darthkur

1181242143159.jpg

s_Pengo_3.png

What an appropriate time of year to be a penguin on a frozen wasteland pushing blocks of ice about. But beware of the malevolent Snow-Bees. Don't let them near you or they will sting you and ruin your day. Either crush them with a strategically pushed ice block or freeze them by pushing against the wall when they aligned with you against the same wall surface, then run over them or push an ice block over them. Snow-Bees are single minded of purpose from the time they hatch from their ice encased eggs so keep aware at the beginning of each round for the location of Snow-Bee eggs will flash momentarily. Annihilate them quickly to prevent them from hatching. Snow-Bees are determined to get you and they will smash ice blocks to shorten their path but will not do so with a block containing an egg. Also use the magical, indestructible diamond cubes to you advantage. Align them vertically or horizontally next to each other for both big bonus points and to momentarily render your pursuers immobile and vulnerable. You score really big points for lining the diamond cubes within the playfield but only half as much if you line them up against one of the surrounding four walls. So be alert and crush your enemies quickly for the faster they're gone the more points you will be awarded.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings:Intermediate (default)

Contest ends on: 1-5-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: Cafeman - 144,340 (+11)

2nd: darthkur - 111,240 (+10)

3rd: chuckwalla - 95,370 (+9)

4th: doctorclu - 56,810 (+ 8 )

5th: bohoki - 9,810 (+7)

Current Standings:

1st - darthkur (109) (4)

2nd - Doctorclu (104) (4)

3rd - Mike5200 (51)

4th - Bydoempire (46)

5th - Shannon (39)

6th - Atari5200 (38) (1)

7th - Cafeman (28) (1)

8th - phuzaxeman (22) (2)

9th - Laserhawk (21) (1)

10th - bohoki (20)

11th - midnight8 (13)

12th - Hex6500 (10)

12th - Lord Thag (10)

12th - midnight magicman (10)

12th - shadow460 (10)

13th - Phantom (9)

14th - JetSet ( 8 )

15th - RXD (7)

16TH - chuckwalla (6)

17TH - Goochman (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Pengo Manual

Edited by darthkur

It is unplayable using A8Win - Pengo keeps moving erratically and gets stuck until killed. Will have to fire up the real system for this one.

works with kat5200

cant seem to make star trek work though in either

you can put me down for 9810

sorry i don't have the patience to play this for an hour

but i figure heck if nobody else submits a score i'll get second place

years ago i played it for a long time what i would do would use a dry erase marker to dot the blinking bee blocks to peck them first

but i would also do the same thing playing classic concention for my commodore64 marking the "cards"

Edited by bohoki

I just read the manual. :ponder: I only now realize that you can line up the indestructable blocks for bonus points. I never tried it but I did see them flash at times. I got my points by squishing stuff and just holding out as long as I could. Coulda scored higher had I know about the lining up. Oh,well.

Pengo is better than I thought. I never played (or saw) the arcade game but might try to find it for Mame soon. You'd think SEGA would have put Pengo on one of their compilations for PS2, along with Zaxxon etc.

I just read the manual. :ponder: I only now realize that you can line up the indestructable blocks for bonus points. I never tried it but I did see them flash at times. I got my points by squishing stuff and just holding out as long as I could. Coulda scored higher had I know about the lining up. Oh,well.

Pengo is better than I thought. I never played (or saw) the arcade game but might try to find it for Mame soon. You'd think SEGA would have put Pengo on one of their compilations for PS2, along with Zaxxon etc.

Wow, that's an extremely good score then for not having either the 5k or 10k bonus' included.

It is a shame that Sega seems to have abandoned this little gem of a game. There were several ports of it back in the 80's though and a couple clones, one of which being Hopper for the TI99/4A.

• 2 weeks later...