IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 7 " Xevious "

darthkur

1181242188119.jpg

s_Xevious_4.png

It's horrendous, but it's true! Research shows that we are the actual

aliens on Earth, and the ruthless Xevions are the original inhabitants. Now the Xevions want Earth back -- sans humans. Not being one to run from a fight you climb aboard the Solvalou Fighter Plane. The only formidable weapon we humans possess that has a chance of vanquishing the returning Xevion Empire. Take the controls and defend Earth against both airborne and land based enemies. Be brave against the seemingly never ending onslaught and overcome their relentless assault or the human race shall be extinct.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: Intermediate (default)

Contest ends on: 1-5-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: xZanU - 452,690 (+11)

2nd: famicommander - 204,530 (+10)

3rd: keitaro - 151,670 (+9)

4th: darthkur - 131,770 (+8)

5th: HammR25 - 105,650 (+7)

6th: roadrunner - 68,450 (+6)

7th: Sauron - 56,120 (+5)

8th: atomickneedrop - 43,790 (+4)

9th: aftermac - 19,100 (+3)

10th: suaiden - 16,710 (+2)

11th: chuckwalla - 13,880 (+1)

Current Standings:

1st - AtariFever (41)

2nd - HammR25 (40)

3rd - Darthkur (36)

4th - suaiden (34) (1)

5th - Sauron (32) (2)

6th - gdement (28)

7th - atomickneedrop (26)

8th - famicommander (24)

9th - keitaro (18) (1)

9th - rockman_x_2002 (18) (1)

10th - doctorclu (12)

11th - LaserHawk (11)

11th - ratfink (11) (1)

12th - Allan (10)

13th - Almost Rice (9)

14th - xZanU (5)

15th - Artlover (4)

15th - bfutrel (4)

15th - LarcenTyler (4)

15th - shadow460 (4)

15th - Zoyx (4)

16th - midnight magicman (3)

17th - chuckwalla (1)

17th - mightymage (1)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Xevious Manual

Edited by darthkur

New Score: 98,620 : )

00pi8.th.jpg

I've made it to the first big cannonball ship twice now (and the second one once), but have been unable to damage it. I've come close to dropping a bomb on the center of it but have been unsuccessful. I can not recall if you can blow those up or not.

Also, I may be thinking of another game (Perhaps desert falcon), but I thought you could break down the bigger pyramids with multiple hits? The double size ones can have the tops blown off, but when I hit it again it does not explode the remaining exposed building. Anyway, this was one of my favorites, can't wait to get home (at work now) and try it on the system (using the emulator at the office).

Another Edit :: I totally forgot about the extra ships! I found one (they are activated by bombing secret spots), I found one by accident, but recall having most of their locations memorized long ago. They turn into a little white flag that you have to pick up and it awards an extra ship, certainly helps.

Edited by xZanU

The big boss ships are destroyable. The first one is pretty easy. Just wait around until it stops shooting then bomb it in the middle. Nothing takes more than one shot in this game. I also had all the secret locations memorized as a kid but don't now.

post-8459-1229987041_thumb.jpg

Edited by HammR25

I've always sucked at Xevious, as evidenced by that being my highest score ever.

Like Food Fight it gets better. My first attempts were in the 20,000's, then I almost hit 50k on my 5th or 6th try, then 98k after about 10 games or so.

00wk7.th.jpg

My hands hurt. Found an easy trick for avoiding those medium sized red and black exploding balls. Hang down a bit lower than normal and dodge all the way to the left or right, seems to work best if you can not blast them. I was also able to blow up both mother ships that I encountered this time. I ran up to the top of the screen this time and was able to catch it both times. Hooray!

Edited by xZanU

Anyone know if the Zolbak Detector Domes in this game actually work correctly?

Are those the domes that have 4 outward guns and one in the middle or just the ones that show up 2 at a time or 1 at a time grouped with a building that doesn't shoot?

They are the one that doesn't shoot. The one that doesn't shoot that is circular (the Zolbak Detector domes) are supposed to have radar for locating you, and if you shoot them the enemy attack is supposed to slow a little. At least, that has always been my understanding.

Only got to 80k, but took a screenshot of one of the extra ship locations : ) It is the little white flag right on the waterway, you have to bomb that spot first to reveal it, then fly over it to pick up the extra ship.

extraship01xr6.th.jpg

It will come in useful! I recall one from long ago that was on the far left somewhere (another location), I thought it was around the first large pyramid but have not been able to find it.

Edited by xZanU

180350dk2.th.jpg

Kinda sucky considering I made it all the way to the 3rd mothership. I think it may be a better strategy to get blown up on purpose after getting past the 2nd mothership and then repeating the play area with the 8 expanding ground units. The 3rd mothership has these larger black balls with a red square in the middle that explode and expand over half the screen, they also follow you before exploding. Not to mention that there are the rolling barriers to dodge. Such a major pain.

The 3rd mothership has these larger black balls with a red square in the middle that explode and expand over half the screen, they also follow you before exploding. Not to mention that there are the rolling barriers to dodge. Such a major pain.

They're called Brag Zakato, and there's a bigger one yet to come.

For future reference:

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Xevious/How_to_play

The 3rd mothership has these larger black balls with a red square in the middle that explode and expand over half the screen, they also follow you before exploding. Not to mention that there are the rolling barriers to dodge. Such a major pain.

For future reference:

Actually the Garu Zakato show up before the Brag (Thanks for the link btw, had no idea what everything was called). Going to go read the walkthrough now : )

EDIT :: Hmmm. Looks like the walk through is for the arcade version perhaps? The 7800 map does not look like the one they have, it is similar but not the same, their flag locations are also different. Anyway, it is nice to get the names of the things I am shooting at.

Edited by xZanU

For future reference:

Actually the Garu Zakato show up before the Brag (Thanks for the link btw, had no idea what everything was called). Going to go read the walkthrough now : )

EDIT :: Hmmm. Looks like the walk through is for the arcade version perhaps? The 7800 map does not look like the one they have, it is similar but not the same, their flag locations are also different. Anyway, it is nice to get the names of the things I am shooting at.

You'll want this:

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/Atari7800/index.htm#X

WOW, that rocks! I was 2 Areas away from spanning the entire map : ) And hey look at that, it has ALL the correct flag locations! I thought there was one there in the open water, I kept bombing in there but never found it. Thanks for posting that.

My 7800 is broken, so I have no chance of winning this one, so I'm all help. :)

452690xr4.th.jpg

This game took almost 2 hours! I was able to roll over the entire play area defeating all 4 of the initial mother ships. It then starts up again in the middle of the game (area 7) with the 5 rotating ground units. I was then able to climb back up to area 14 but was destroyed by the mass of Zakato bombs that show up after defeating the 1st mothership (There really are two of them one after another on this area). The Brag Zakato that precede the first of the two motherships are very hard to avoid. I have found that the first two pretty consistently drop in the middle of the screen, the next two I can not remember, but the last one is usually at the right. These are by far the most difficult things in the game to avoid and shoot.

I picked up two of the flags too, both on the first time around. I tried to get the flag by the bird claw second time but could not hit the mark with all the ships flying at me.

Anyway, been at the computer for too long and I think this will be my last score to post for this round of HSC, my hands are completely cramped and my eyes hurt : )

452690xr4.th.jpg

This game took almost 2 hours! I was able to roll over the entire play area defeating all 4 of the initial mother ships. It then starts up again in the middle of the game (area 7) with the 5 rotating ground units. I was then able to climb back up to area 14 but was destroyed by the mass of Zakato bombs that show up after defeating the 1st mothership (There really are two of them one after another on this area). The Brag Zakato that precede the first of the two motherships are very hard to avoid. I have found that the first two pretty consistently drop in the middle of the screen, the next two I can not remember, but the last one is usually at the right. These are by far the most difficult things in the game to avoid and shoot.

I picked up two of the flags too, both on the first time around. I tried to get the flag by the bird claw second time but could not hit the mark with all the ships flying at me.

Anyway, been at the computer for too long and I think this will be my last score to post for this round of HSC, my hands are completely cramped and my eyes hurt : )

Isn't this an amazingly good game? It's got the makings of all future shooters.

By the way, you may want to check Twin Galaxies to see if you broke the world record. That's some hardcore playing.

Edited by Atarifever

Isn't this an amazingly good game? It's got the makings of all future shooters.

By the way, you may want to check Twin Galaxies to see if you broke the world record. That's some hardcore playing.

I can still remember sneaking into my Moms walk in closet and peaking at the wrapped christmas gifts. There was Xevious. I then knew that the system was in there somewhere. Suffice to say, it was the first game I ever played on the 7800. Being a huge Defender fan I was super excited to try a different space shooter. I spent a lot of time playing and memorized all the flag locations and hidden underground sol towers. I was really impressed with the graphics back then and the game itself, it is still one of my favorites.

I checked the Twin Galaxies site (Not something I have done since watching 'The King of Kong' long ago) I thought they only did arcade scores, but they do have 7800 (and many others). The top score there is over 500,000, but mine would be an official 2nd if I had a referee (and was playing on the console I am sure). Fun stuff regardless.

Thanks again for that link, uncovering those Sol towers and knowing what was coming up next as far as shooting ground units was really helpful.