IGNORED

Any love for Laser Blast?

Rik

I came upon some reviews for Activision Laser Blast,and all said the game was pure crap.I havent played it in a very long time,and forgot what it was like.I did last night and i found it to be a great game,addictive,i cant put it down.I must say,its short on the sound effects,but i like it.Thats why i always see for myself if i like a game or not,reviews dont mean much to me,everyones taste is different.I mean most common games like this can be had for a couple of bucks,cant really go wrong.Anyone else hate or love this game?just curious as to how many others think this is a stinker.

I came upon some reviews for Activision Laser Blast,and all said the game was pure crap.I havent played it in a very long time,and forgot what it was like.I did last night and i found it to be a great game,addictive,i cant put it down.I must say,its short on the sound effects,but i like it.Thats why i always see for myself if i like a game or not,reviews dont mean much to me,everyones taste is different.I mean most common games like this can be had for a couple of bucks,cant really go wrong.Anyone else hate or love this game?just curious as to how many others think this is a stinker.

Smells like roses to me. One of my favorite games. Once you get the rhythm to it, it can become monotomous.......but those laser cannons will get you in a second if you lose concentration.

Laser Blast was my first Activision game. I was captivated by the laser effect. I still like it, even though it's painfully easy once you get into a rhythm. (It'd be great to see a hack where you actually had to "play" the game - and the enemies weren't just brainless cannon fodder.)

The problem I have with the game is that it is one of the least challenging games out there. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes extremely simple and repetitive. There is not enough variance in the game, and the game itself does not get progressively harder. Spiderfighter also does not get progressively harder, but at least with that game the enemy comes at you in different ways.

an interesting factoid on this game was that it was one of the rare times in 80's video games where you played the aggressor rather than the defender. That was a cold war faux pas.

the game is interesting for that, and on a technical level it was above average, but the gameplay is a little below average

I still remember the first day I encountered Laser Blast: I was at my grandfather's house, and he was showing it to me on his big screen TV in the basement where we loved playing Atari. He had an extra copy that he let me have, and I was so excited about it.

Today it's a rather simple game, but it's rather fun nonetheless. I have yet to get the 1 million mark, but with time. ;)

It kinda seems like a game where it is harder to die than it is to keep living. I always have to decide when I'm ready to stop so I can let my ship get shot. It seems like it would take about 6 hours to get a million points, but just about anybody could do it if they had the willpower. I'm not going to diss it too much because this is a thread for Laser Blast fans.

I played Laser Blast in a contest over at DP almost a year ago. After over 2 hours of straight gameplay (game 4), I rolled the score. In starting out on this quest, I figured out the estimated time it would take to roll the score on different game variations:

On game 2, it takes roughly 2 to 2.5 minutes to get 10,000. Therefore, it takes 20-25 minutes to score 100K. Multiply that by 10, and it will take you 200-250 minutes (or 3.5-4.5 hours) to roll it.

However, on game 4, it took me a little over 1 minute to get 10K. After working through the math, it should only take about 2 hours to roll it. My advice for you all is, if you're going to try to hit 1M, learn to play game 4!

After achieving the !!!!!! on this game, I absolutely have no desire to play this game ever again.

post-9712-1230555544_thumb.jpg

When it first came out, I really enjoyed Laser Blast...for about a week. Then it became boring as I realized I could play it indefinitely. No challenge at all!

I'll still play it once in a great while, but it always becomes boring quickly.

All i remember about laser blast is that when it first came out i got it for Christmas and LOVED it like crazy for some reason! I played that thing day and night for weeks until i hit 1,000,000 and was SOoooo excited i got my moms poloroid camera took a picture of the screen and sent it in to get my laser blast patch, and thats the last i remember, then i moved on to playing berzerk, pitfall, adventure and maze craze!! I dont remember ever getting the patch or playing it after that until like 6 years ago when i first started collecting.

I have a love/hate relationship with this game.

The Hate:

My brother would HOG it. This is one of those games where - if you were "in the zone" - you could literally keep at it for hours. Sometimes he would just run the damn thing, and if it hadn't been for the lack of a pause feature, I have no doubt he'd still be playing it today, demolishing wave after wave of arthitritic artillery gunners from the comfort of his convalescent bed.

The Love:

The sound and godlike fury of the laser blast pounding those gunners to dust was pure retro poetry.

It's fun in short spurts, but once you get the hang of it, you can pretty much play it until you get bored. Still, I like it. Always have, always will. I used to zone with this one back in the day. It was a great show-off game when the neighborhood kids were over :cool: