IGNORED

Ever considered opening a NECG store?

As some of you know, I curretnly work part-time a GS. I was talking with one of my co-workers the other day about all the calls we get from people looking to offload their older, classic gaming stuff that GS will not buy (pretty much anything pre-PS2) and we joked about setting up a classic gaming store next door to the GS where we work (in Woburn). Sounded like a pipe dream, but then I thought about all of the folks here at NECG and figured I would throw up an idea.

Has anyone ever considered opening up such a store, perhaps north of Boston? We all know that the stores in this area that do cater to Classic Gaming pretty much suck. So what about pooling our resources and opening a place for gamers by gamers? Anyone interested?

Obviously, there would be alot more planning that would have to go into something like this. Business plans, locations, etc. But I wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone has thought about this or tried it in the past.

Let me know your thoughts.

Dane

all the calls we get from people looking to offload their older, classic gaming stuff that GS will not buy (pretty much anything pre-PS2)

Ok, you get a lot of calls from people looking to get rid of old stuff. Do you get more calls from people wanting to buy old stuff?

Good point. There is a local store where I live that has a mix of everything from Atari to Xbox 360 and I'm one of maybe a half dozen people that buys anything pre- PS2

I dont think it would work with the high retail rental prices around here. Perhaps it could be a sideline for a used record store, comic book shop or card gaming shop. I've daydreamed about opening a toy store that would have a "recycled video games" counter for on a budget parents. Another idea had was to set up a classic game consignment store in my basement that would be open by appointment only. Of course these days it seems like more people are looking to unload big collections than build them, a clever person could perhaps make that work for them.

Good points all. I was thinking that one of the constants in economics is the tendancy for collectors to gravitate to items of their youth and for those items to appreciate in worth as the "core" group of collectors ages. We all know that collecting is a labor of love and not a fast way to an easy meal ticket. However, also consider the nature of most of the stores that deal in "used" product and "collectibles", whether it is comics, cd's or video games. The typical margin is usually at least 200 - 300% on resale. For instance, if you go into an used CD store, they will buy a given CD for $1 and resale it for $5. Same goes for those "classic" video games stores or even places like Gamestop. Gamestop does not make its money on the sale of new items. They make the lion's share of their profit on the resale of used goods. And trust me, their profit margin is staggering.

Anyway, I was also thinking about a co-op bussiness model. Mostly just kicking ideas around, but I appreciate the feedback. Christian also makes a good point regarding rental costs. I have not looked at such expenditures in this market, so really have no idea what the going rate for square footage is.

all the calls we get from people looking to offload their older, classic gaming stuff that GS will not buy (pretty much anything pre-PS2)

Ok, you get a lot of calls from people looking to get rid of old stuff. Do you get more calls from people wanting to buy old stuff?

Not at Gamestop, but then again, people arent' coming to GS for "classic" gaming items, but newer systems. There is definitely a market out there for these items, just not sure if it could sustain a business in this market. Look at the going prices for standard items on sites like BuyGoodwill.com. I can't believe the prices that some people will pay for items that have no real rarity.

More food for thought I guess.

...and how many of those people would swear at you and hang up when you had to offer them a quarter per game and $4 for a system? It might be a longer conversation if they said "I can get $70 for it on ebay" before swearing and hanging up.

Yeah, but I run into this alot in general, both working at GS and trading for my own collection. It is the same with any collectable industry, be it comics, baseball cards or video games. Percieved worth and actual worth are always separated by considerable distance. This discussion may be moot as I have been hearing some scuttlebut that GS is looking into getting into used CD's, movies (again) and possibly even older video games. If that happens, I will be interested to see the effect it has on the classic gaming hobby. Could cause some real issues, could make more stuff readily available. Makes me nervous either way.

I'm not saying it would be impossible but it would be a risky adventure. There are a few places around that manage to be successful but they also sell new games and systems. I would imagine inorder to turn a profit

you would also have to be willing to keep a inventory of current systems and games. Prime example is the Game Stop\EB games model. Even back in the "Funco" days I've seen the cycle thru out the years. You liquidate the older current 1st generation systems to make room for the newer current generation stuff. Even now the XBOX and PS2 are starting to dry up. Since your a current GS employee you allready know the story. If you work at the Woburn store I'm sure weve crossed paths a few times :)

I'm not saying it would be impossible but it would be a risky adventure. There are a few places around that manage to be successful but they also sell new games and systems. I would imagine inorder to turn a profit

you would also have to be willing to keep a inventory of current systems and games. Prime example is the Game Stop\EB games model. Even back in the "Funco" days I've seen the cycle thru out the years. You liquidate the older current 1st generation systems to make room for the newer current generation stuff. Even now the XBOX and PS2 are starting to dry up. Since your a current GS employee you allready know the story. If you work at the Woburn store I'm sure weve crossed paths a few times :)

Yeah, I know what you mean about the cycles when new systems come out and the older ones are "phased out". There is a really cool store in Cranston RI called Time Capsule that has an interesting model. They carry all forms of memorabilia (figures, toys, video games, comics, movies, etc) and they seem to do a pretty good bussiness. I have seen stores like this in NYC that seem to do pretty well. Either way, I won't be investing in real estate any time soon. ;)

If you ever come into the GS in Woburn, say hello. I am the guy with the bald head and goatee trying to straighten up the GD PS2 section. :D

Yep, we have def run into each other. Next time I pop in there I will be sure to introduce myself.

Have you ever been to the Time Cap. store in RI? I'm wondering if it is worth a trip down there?

-JR

Funny you should ask about the Time Cap. I was just speaking with the owner, Rob, last week. I haven't been down there since the Spring, but apparently he has expanded to about double the store's original size. I may head down there this weekend (my girlfriend wants to go to Providence). If I don't make it, perhaps we can set up a mini-road trip. Let me know if you are intersted.

Dane

Yep, we have def run into each other. Next time I pop in there I will be sure to introduce myself.

Have you ever been to the Time Cap. store in RI? I'm wondering if it is worth a trip down there?

-JR

Funny you should ask about the Time Cap. I was just speaking with the owner, Rob, last week. I haven't been down there since the Spring, but apparently he has expanded to about double the store's original size. I may head down there this weekend (my girlfriend wants to go to Providence). If I don't make it, perhaps we can set up a mini-road trip. Let me know if you are intersted.

Dane

Yeah, i'd be up for a trip down there. I just need a few days notice if we plan something. With a wife and 2 small kids I can't pack it up on short notice any more. Plus it would give me something to look forward to now that football season

is just about over.

-JR

Dane

Yeah, i'd be up for a trip down there. I just need a few days notice if we plan something. With a wife and 2 small kids I can't pack it up on short notice any more. Plus it would give me something to look forward to now that football season

is just about over.

Sounds good, let me know what day would work best for you.

I went to RI with my girlfriend and her parents today and stopped by the Time Capsule for a few minutes. Didn't have much time, but spoke with Rob, the owner and did pick up a copy of RE2 for Dreamcast that was in great shape and some stuff for my Atari 400. They have a room that is about 50% dedicated to classic games. Most of the stuff is priced close to DP list, so it is a good place for filling holes in your collection, but not really a place to find stuff on the cheap. They know their stuff and don't really let stuff go for a steal.

• 1 month later...

I am going to be working with Patrick over at Comically Speaking in Reading (www.comicallyspeaking.com) to set up a classic video game section in his store. Patrick will provide the space for a percentage of the proceeds. He will also serve as a gateway for people from the genereal public to bring in old systems that they want to sell or trade. In essence sales would work on consignment. I plan to be pretty active in this partnership. However, my spare system collection is fairly sparse and I could use some more product to kick start this endeavor. So if anyone wants to partner up, or offload some of their extra stuff, let me know.