IGNORED

Playstation Home ?

ATARIPITBULL

Today after killing 200 or so men on "Stranglehold" I decided to see what this Playstation "Home" is all about. I take it this whole virtual world thing is just like the online Sims game? Is that all its for? and you have to pay real money in order to buy stuff for my virtual living space? Is anyone here playing this ?

p.s. I played "Conan" for the PS3 last night and I must say that this game BLOWS!!!!! don't buy it.

:ponder: :?: :?:

Edited by ATARIPITBULL

I looked around, but I don't have a keyboard or a headset so it was no fun at all (not sure that it would have been fun anyway, but the lack of these things certainly didn't help). It's not really my thing, but I can see how some people would really like it.

p.s. I picked up Valkyria Chronicles yesterday and am pretty pleased. Too much movie time in between battles (which is true of pretty much every game out now) but the tactics are enjoyable and ramp up in difficulty fairly quickly. I'll go out on a limb and guess that it is probably better than Conan. ;-)

Playstation Home is a horrible miscalculation marring what is, for the most part, a great console.

I can't believe they think that people are going to go for this, a 'virtual world' where you can go to stand about and be advertised to. Worse still, they're expecting real money for graphical representations of furniture.

I see what they're trying to do, building a community and all, but I think they should have built it around Little Big Planet instead. People are actually playing and contributing to that.

I walk around in that virtual world from time to time, it's fun to play the arcade games in that bowling alley. I like Ice Breaker (breakout game) and Carriage Return, you can play Pool or have a bowling match with your online friends and of course playing Chess or Draughts with others in the Home Square.

Darn I have just lost an game of Pool with a girl, she's way better than me...

All that other stuff in PSH doesn't interest me much.

A friend of mine bought a Summer House, clothes, furniture and more stuff. I will never buy virtual stuff in PSH.

Tip:

You can plug in your own USB keyboard from your computer (PC or Mac) into the PS3 and it's easy typing :)

Wireless keyboards has to be pretty close to the wireless receiver to do some quick typing, keyboard with an USB wire no problems with the speed.

Edited by Tweety

Worse still, they're expecting real money for graphical representations of furniture.

Its working: http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/12/sony-p...ods-booming-sne

"Susan didn't provide numbers, but she said in Home's first four days, virtual goods priced from 49 cents to $4.99 have generated more revenue for Sony than PS3 movies and video priced up to $14.99 generated in their first week. "It's a classic 80/20 model, where 20 percent of your customers create 80 percent of your income," she said."

-Tim :)

Edited by pmpddytim

It's a weak attempt at a PS3 version of second life. I saw it running on a friend's machine a couple of weeks ago and wasn't impressed (although graphically it's WAY better than second life). Those who would buy virtual furniture are most likely to be female ... it might work on a Wii but I can't see it working on the PS3 in the long term.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

I can see it working, especially if they up the number of areas to explore, allow people to buy/place arcade machines on demand, and provide more areas. I'd also like to see a user's trophy level become an icon next to their name.

The thing I didn't like is that there's really no place among the home default locations that one can't spin 360 and see half a dozen or so bits of sony adverts. I know it's an advertising vehicle--but there's no need to make it feel that much like one.

And I do buy a lot of clothes in there. Not sure why they're not making a lot more clothes...

Edited by Reaperman