IGNORED

Some NES game questions

I'm starting on my journey to collect for the NES. I'm more or less a collector of arcade conversions so I'm looking for NES versions of the classics like Donkey Kong, Pacman, Joust, etc.

Is there a list somewhere that would show me all the arcade games made for the NES? Are any of the arcade conversions rare and/or expensive?

Also, is there any difference in donkey kong and donkey kong classics?

Is the NES Galaga called Demons of Death a sequel or just a port of the original Galaga?

Thanks, I'll post more questions as I think of them.

DK Classics is just a cart with multiple games on it. It's a very good conversion of the arcade games.

Galaga is just a straight port.

Never heard of a list showing just arcade ports, but you're going to be seriously missing out on some kick ass gaming if you only collect the conversions. The NES is loaded with amazing titles, such as all six Mega Man games, Metal Gear, and way, WAY too many more to mention.

DK Classics is just a cart with multiple games on it. It's a very good conversion of the arcade games.

Galaga is just a straight port.

Never heard of a list showing just arcade ports, but you're going to be seriously missing out on some kick ass gaming if you only collect the conversions. The NES is loaded with amazing titles, such as all six Mega Man games, Metal Gear, and way, WAY too many more to mention.

Thanks. No not strictly conversions but they're my biggest love. There are others I'll want when I was a kid, well, late teen. I was a big Konami fan and I loved contra, lifeforce, blades of steel. I'll no doubt get other genres for the NES. I'm starting from scratch as I only have Pinball and Maniac Mansion. MM is up for trade too BTW :D

EDIT - just did some BIN's on Bump and Jump, Burgertime, and Galaga. Same guy I got the toploader from. $5 each and he's local so I'll pick 'em up today hopefully.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Yeah I actually don't have any "classic" Arcade ports on NES, out of the 70 games I have. Games like Contra, Operation Wolf, 1942/1943, TMNT II, Punch-out, were largely contemporary when they came to the NES. www.nintendoage.com is an up and coming website. You could check here for a list of all games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NES_games).

Many of the classics did come to the NES, like Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Defender II, etc. Usually they were well-done, and near arcade perfect. Many were released by Tengen (Atari) or HAL Laboratory. Some games like Ikari Warriors and Commando were so bad on the NES, the 7800 versions I think are better. I would say though, that back then and now, the classic ports are rarely mentioned as NES staples. Not with games and series like Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Metroid, Contra, Mega Man, TMNT, Double Dragon, etc. available.

Edited by Greg2600

I would say the 7800 version of Commando is pretty bad, though. The NES version is at least playable. The NES version of Ikari is ok, nothing great, but I've never played the 7800 version of it.

The 2600 versions of both games are total ASS though, no doubt.

Since you're a Konami fan, don't miss out on these games (both of which are actually conversions as well):

Jackal

Rush 'n' Attack

Another good conversion is this:

Guerilla War

I'll post more conversions as I think of them. As for general NES staples, there are a million of them, but my favorite by a long shot is Battletoads.

To the original poster.

Most earlier videogames released on the NES was originally from the arcades or based on it's Arcade counter part. So the next problem is ruling out the obvious non arcade games.

Also there is games ( like Donkey Kong ) that has a special Arcade seal on it.

Most of anything to pure thought you can figure out.

Take TNMNT for example. There is the direct arcade port and the NES port to arcade. Then Duck hunt that was originally a TV toy compared Wild Gun man that was originally a Arcade. Then the obvious commercial ports like

Darkwing Duck

Beatle Juice

Addams Family

Golgo 13

However there is game series that is just as successfull as there commercial counter parts like

Battle Toads

Double Dragon

River City Ransom

Also there is prodigies of other games. Which you can recognize

Edited by Royalshin