IGNORED

Setting the resolution in X-Port emulators

I just had a quick suggestion concerning the updating of older X-Port emulators. On the newer emus, when you go into the video settings and change the 480i setting to a progressive setting, it asks you if you want to start the emu at that resolution, and then if you reply "yes" then it asks you (about 5 times) if you are sure that that is what you want to do. It then sets the default resolution of the emulator to whatever new resolution you selected.

The reason it peppers you with "Are you sure" questions is because progressive scan signals cannot be displayed on a standard 480i-only television. Therefore once you tell the emu to exclusively use progressive scan, the emu will be unusable on a normal TV. So if someone accidentally set theirs to progressive scan they would have a hard time changing it back because they wouldn't be able to read the menus. So the repeated requests for assurance on the part of the emulator are an attempt by the original developer to make sure that the end user cannot back him or herself into this predicament.

With the older emulators, there is no option to have the emulator use a progressive scan setting by default. (I can go through my emus to a list of them if needed.) This means that every time you load up the emulator, the first thing you have to do is go into the settings menu and change it, because every time the emulator loads it defaults to 480i. Normally this would be a small annoyance but ultimately not a big deal.

Except for the small percentage of us that use our XBoxes with an X2VGA unit (or other VGA adapter). My XBox is hooked up to a VGA monitor that cannot display interlaced signals. This means that every time I launch an emu that defaults to 480i, I can't read the menus. I therefore had to hook my XBox up to a normal TV and then write down the exact keystroke sequence needed to change the display resolution to one of the progressive options for each emulator, and then keep that list next to my XBox.

So what I would like to see is for all of the older emulators to have the same setup as the newer ones, where once you choose your resolution it is saved as the default.

If you need me to make a list of all of the emulators that do not have this option, I would be happy to do so.

Thanks,

Chris

Well thanks for the detailed description.

All that code if part of what I refer to as the "common_funcs" code. So any emu that I compile from here on out will have those features in it.

One thing that I did notice while browsing thru the code is some code that looks like it check to see if the user has the Hidef connector plugged in and if not it reverts back to 480i. It check some other stuff but the idea being that it looks like it is designed to prevent the 1st issue you mentioned (switching back to a normal tv).

I don't have a clue if that code actually works. :lol: But it is there.

Someone did, though, recompile all of X-port's emu to his latest interface after he released the source code. But I don't think they made those releases available on Xbins. I think I got them from a torrent and there were a couple emu's missing.

Anyways if you could make a list of emu's that do not have the ability to change to a higher res, that'd be great.

• 2 years later...

I therefore had to hook my XBox up to a normal TV and then write down the exact keystroke sequence needed to change the display resolution to one of the progressive options for each emulator, and then keep that list next to my XBox.

Oddly enough I find myself in the same dilemma but don't have any written instructions to go by....care to help a guy out and send them along? It'd be much appreciated!!

I therefore had to hook my XBox up to a normal TV and then write down the exact keystroke sequence needed to change the display resolution to one of the progressive options for each emulator, and then keep that list next to my XBox.

Oddly enough I find myself in the same dilemma but don't have any written instructions to go by....care to help a guy out and send them along? It'd be much appreciated!!

Sorry, man. I don't have that paper anymore. My Xbox is hooked up to a TV that can take interlaced signals so it isn't as much of a problem anymore. Still would be nice if you could save the resolution permanently in all emus.

Chris