IGNORED

Superman Shooter Idea

jrok

I've been giving some serious thought to developing some sort of a Superman vertical shooter for the 2600. Obviously, if I ever tried to sell such a project, DC would have their Legion of Super Litigators get all medieval on my a$$, so this would be a binary-only sort of project.

Actually, since Supes is a cuddly, kindly sort of hero, the game probably wouldn't have a large degree of violence in it. Sure he could murdalize a few evil robots now and then, but I can also see a lot of defender-style rescuing going on.

I put together a couple of sprites... Any thoughts?

Cheers,

J

Superman_and_Brainiac.bin

• Like 1

I've been giving some serious thought to developing some sort of a Superman vertical shooter for the 2600. Obviously, if I ever tried to sell such a project, DC would have their Legion of Super Litigators get all medieval on my a$$, so this would be a binary-only sort of project.

Actually, since Supes is a cuddly, kindly sort of hero, the game probably wouldn't have a large degree of violence in it. Sure he could murdalize a few evil robots now and then, but I can also see a lot of defender-style rescuing going on.

I put together a couple of sprites... Any thoughts?

Cheers,

J

Superman_and_Brainiac.bin

The Superman character looks really cool. It should be cool. It looks like it is going to be more like River Raid, or Journey Escape. :D

I hate all this "this person will sue me if I make this" or "this person will sic their lawyers on me if I make that". Just do what's in your heart and mind. If you want to do it, then do it. You can sell it under an "assumed" name and nobody will know it's you. If anyone asks you shelved the game due to legality issues, but it seems someone else sold 40 copies.

Blame it on Randy Hozer.

I haven't seen many homebrews with trademarked characters. Be careful.

I hate all this "this person will sue me if I make this" or "this person will sic their lawyers on me if I make that". Just do what's in your heart and mind. If you want to do it, then do it. You can sell it under an "assumed" name and nobody will know it's you. If anyone asks you shelved the game due to legality issues, but it seems someone else sold 40 copies.

Blame it on Randy Hozer.

No way would I ever try to sell this. This would be a BIN only (although I'd maybe make one vanity cart for myself). My best friend is an assistant director in DC Comics licensing division, and she would be the first to tell you that DC (well, actually their parent Warner Bros. Entertainment) would sue-sue-sudio the pants off of you if you tried to make a dime off of their intellectual property without a license. Marvel isn't much better from what I understand. IIRC, a couple of years ago they sued NCSoft for allowing players to design costumes that resembled some of their characters. Apparently, some kid made a big green avatar that sort of looked like the Hulk, then had the audacity to name it "The Hulk." Of course, Marvel's legal department immediately inflated to three times their normal mass, burst out out of their $5000 Brooks Brothers suits and began rampaging the NCSoft server farms with orders of injunction.

I suppose Marvel was within their rights to pursue legal action. But then again I gave my nephew a deluxe box of crayons for Christmas, and he used it to draw a picture of Spiderman. If he writes Spiderman on it, does that mean Marvel gets to sue Crayola???

Anyway, no money-making scheme here. I just like Superman (and did NOT like the original flickering candlelight version for the 2600) so I thought it might be cool to give it a whirl, John Williams score and all.

Cheers,

Jarod.

Edited by jrok

• 10 years later...