IGNORED

Thinking about a vectrex...What are the best games?

KIWASABI

I've been pondering getting a vectrex for a very long time and I think I may be getting close to that time. It's a worthwhile system to have, isn't it? I love vector games and arcade style games, so it seems like a good fit for me.

What are the best games for the system? I watched a youtube video of Star Trek and that looks pretty fun.

-Adam

I've been pondering getting a vectrex for a very long time and I think I may be getting close to that time. It's a worthwhile system to have, isn't it? I love vector games and arcade style games, so it seems like a good fit for me.

What are the best games for the system? I watched a youtube video of Star Trek and that looks pretty fun.

-Adam

Plays a great game of Star Castle :)

Flash cart is a great solution from what I hear. I have a multicart and have just been buying the new releases on cart.

I would recommend Rip-Off as a great two person game. For one-player it's hard to beat Minestorm and Star Castle.

I've got a VecFlash and its awesome. Its got 32 memory sections available for Vectrex binaries. One section is taken by a menu selection program binary which leaves 31 sections for games (and each game can be upto 32K in size). The VecFlash connects to the PC via USB. Using the easy to use software on the PC, binaries can be easily selected and saved to the VecFlash. Once downloaded the USB lead can be removed from the VecFlash and the VecFlash then inserted into the Vectrex.

If you go to the Games tab on http://www.vectrex.nl/ you can download all the original games plus many homebrews.

Richard H (see one of the above posts) of http://www.vectrex.biz/ makes and sells them.

For me games that I find really enjoyable are:

Orignal games: Pole Position, Cosmic Chasm, Bedlam and Rip Off

Home brews: Gravitrex, Protector and Vectrexians.

regards

VectrexMad!

www.vectrex.co.uk

-Adam

Funny you posted this...as a local mom&pop game store near me has one for sale.

He's asking $80... is that a fair price for a Vectrex?

-rick

-Adam

Hi Adam,

I say Star Castle was the best one out there. Spent many hours playing that game.

Anthony....

Vectrexes seem to go on eBay regularly for about that price. If it is in nice condition I would say that is a fair price.

I was lucky enough to get one of the Sean Kelley multicarts on eBay late last year and have really been enjoying my Vectrex more than ever. I have been playing a lot of Polar Rescue: one of those cool games that can be kinda hard to find. I played it when I was a kid and missed it and now I play all the time!

Highly recommend flash/multicart!

Vectrexes seem to go on eBay regularly for about that price. If it is in nice condition I would say that is a fair price.

Someone should tell the local guy running a retro game shop. He wants $400 for a loose Vectrex and controller. :-o

The only one I didn't like too much was Hyperchase. The control is too sensitive.

True. Someone should really hack that code so it works better.

Tempest

Yeah, how in the world did that get by research? In 1991 or 1992, I reviewed that game in my newsletter Zap! and said it might be the worst control in history. I still think that.

The only one I didn't like too much was Hyperchase. The control is too sensitive.

True. Someone should really hack that code so it works better.

Tempest

Yeah, how in the world did that get by research? In 1991 or 1992, I reviewed that game in my newsletter Zap! and said it might be the worst control in history. I still think that.

The controls may be a bit sensitive, but once I started playing Hyperchase, it became my favorite game on the Vectrex back then.