IGNORED

Classic Video Gamer Magazine coming soon! We need your input!

Classic Video Gamer User Poll  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather the first issue be digital or in print?

• Digital
    • Print
  2. 2. Would you like to see us cover all retro systems?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What are you willing to pay for an issue (keeping in mind that what we charge is to cover our costs which is still undetermined)

• I am willing to pay the cover price as long as it's reasonable (under $7.00)
    • I'd rather read it for free
  4. 4. If we did a print version of CVG, would you prefer B&W or color print?

• B&W
    • Color
    • Doesn't matter; the content is more important

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I wish you luck and much success with this, and I hope you're able to keep quality control high. A smooth and error free read is critical.

I also hope you keep finances under consideration if you do move beyond digital distribution, as we've had many, many failed print publications, and certainly don't need any more. If you don't have the tightest of purse strings and a plan to stay afloat for at least a few years operating at a small loss, I certainly wouldn't bother. With that said, of course I'd vastly prefer a color print mag, but that's easier said than done these days.

Don't know if these are already taken but heres a couple ideas:

Vintage Video Gamer

Vintage Video Gaming

Vintage Gaming

Classic Gaming

Hey Jake!

The magazine in question is known as Computer and Video Games (CVG) and we'll be known as Classic Video Gamer, so it’s not so much the name of the publication that is causing the problem. We may have to forgo abbreviations in this case if we can't think of a catchy end tag.

Edit: Vintage Video Gamer does have a nice ring to it! :D

Edited by STGuy1040

Don't know if these are already taken but heres a couple ideas:

Vintage Video Gamer

Vintage Video Gaming

Vintage Gaming

Classic Gaming

Hey Jake!

The magazine in question is known as Computer and Video Games (CVG) and we'll be known as Classic Video Gamer, so it’s not so much the name of the publication that is causing the problem. We may have to forgo abbreviations in this case if we can't think of a catchy end tag.

Edit: Vintage Video Gamer does have a nice ring to it! :D

Oh, didn't realize it was just the abbreviation that was the problem.

Vintage Video Gamer was my favorite one out of the suggestions I made too :)

Classic Video Gamer Magazine is still looking for people to contribute!

We need people for the following:

Historian Columnist: Fancy yourself an expert on Atari history? We want you to share your knowledge with our readers!

Interviewers: We need a dedicated individual who is willing to interview key figures in the video game industry (past and present).

Game reviewers: Contact us if you’re interested in reviewing video games.

Please send a PM if you're interested! We need a variety of game reviews spanning all retro gaming systems and computers.

Edited by STGuy1040

I wish you luck and much success with this, and I hope you're able to keep quality control high. A smooth and error free read is critical.

I also hope you keep finances under consideration if you do move beyond digital distribution, as we've had many, many failed print publications, and certainly don't need any more. If you don't have the tightest of purse strings and a plan to stay afloat for at least a few years operating at a small loss, I certainly wouldn't bother. With that said, of course I'd vastly prefer a color print mag, but that's easier said than done these days.

I really appreciate the well wishes! As stated in the original thread, we're doing this for the love of retro gaming and we don't plan on quitting our day jobs. The purpose of this poll is to gauge the community’s interest on this project. The current poll results indicate a strong interest in a color printed publication, which may happen depending on how the results pan out in the next couple of weeks. Subscriptions may not be available at first; we may offer pre-orders on an issue-by-issue basis, and release in limited quantities until we're comfortable with the circulation.

I'm familiar with a few of the failed publications, and some of them overestimated on their printing and sat on issues they couldn't sell. This resulted in tremendous financial loss that couldn’t be recouped. I know this wasn't the case with every magazine that didn't succeed, but there were a few that made this mistake.

According to the poll results thus far, there is very little interest in a digital version. In which case, we may offer a sample issue via digital to give people an idea of what to expect. The biggest obstacle we face at the moment is deciding what content to offer in the sample version.

According to the poll results thus far, there is very little interest in a digital version. In which case, we may offer a sample issue via digital to give people an idea of what to expect. The biggest obstacle we face at the moment is deciding what content to offer in the sample version.

When you make your decision, you might want to do one final poll to refine the end result, as I know I'm among the many who really don't like to read online magazines in PDF or some other format. It's just easier to read them as regular indexed Web pages. Even publications like The Escapist moved from a packaged e-zine to Web pages. Again, just a friendly bit of advice. Best of luck.

When you make your decision, you might want to do one final poll to refine the end result, as I know I'm among the many who really don't like to read online magazines in PDF or some other format. It's just easier to read them as regular indexed Web pages. Even publications like The Escapist moved from a packaged e-zine to Web pages. Again, just a friendly bit of advice. Best of luck.

I agree with you completely and I prefer reading print magazines. The digital sample would be in a virtual book format like Zino or Yudo which gives the reader the capabilities of turning the pages like a real magazine (which I am sure you are familiar with). The idea behind the digital sample is to give everyone an idea of what they're getting before they spend their hard-earned money on an issue.

Edited by STGuy1040

Hi guys,

I look extremely forward in hoping a printed magazine version would come out. I wouldn't mind doing a year subscription as well.

How about a gamer of the month section in which the magazine does a interview with a gamer with his game collection, and a few photos!

Anthony....

Great to see this coming together! I'm a fan of Retro Gamer, but as it's a UK-based magazines, overseas subscription rates are very prohibitive. I'd recommend that you give them a good look, as they've done very well at bringing together a solid mix of original content, quality production, etc.

Another vote for print. I have a feeling that it'd do well with the target niche market, and while ad revenue probably wont be the strongest initially, you can balance that with a slightly higher per-issue cost.

I'd also be interested in seeing arcade-related content alongside the home systems, and would be up for contributing to the magazine as well. Feel free to get in touch!

I would suggest staying away from price guides (since Video Game Trader and Video Game Collector have that covered) and I definitely agree with the suggestion to model the new magazine after Retro Gamer. I am a satisfied VGTrader subscriber, but there is always room for another good classic gaming magazine.

Edited by Sargon

I would suggest staying away from price guides (since Video Game Trader and Video Game Collector have that covered) and I definitely agree with the suggestion to model the new magazine after Retro Gamer. I am a satisfied VGTrader subscriber, but there is always room for another good classic gaming magazine.

There will be no price guides of any kind and none were ever planned.

Edit: I read Retro Gamer so I am familiar. :)

Edited by STGuy1040

The reason why i suggested a web based version initially is because it costs less to set up and over the long run it will cost less to run, going down the 'print only' route is more cost prohibitive and you'll probably have to charge a higher subscription and higher advertising/sponsorship rates

This is coming from someone that has worked for newpaper and magazine publishing companies (mostly on the advertising sales side)

The poll results are shifting and the digital vote is close to the print vote (which has been in the lead for quite some time).

The results thus far as of this writing:

Digital [45.16%]

Print [54.84%].

We'll give this current poll until the end of this week before closing it down. Once this happens, a final poll deciding the format of the publication (digital or print) will be posted.

I'd like to see a section that covers hardware past & present. For example, it would be interesting to read about the various peripherals that were released or for that matter never released for all the different systems. As for current hardware, I would find it interesting to learn about the latest flash carts that are available, where to buy from, price, reviews, etc. Pictures of the actual hardware being discussed would also be nice.

Interviews with former programmers might be a nice touch.

A section that focuses on the emulation scene.

Just my 2 cents.

Here's a preliminary cover for the premier issue:

prcover.jpg

As we all know, click on the image to get a cleaner view. Plus, it's in .jpg format so the resolution isn't the best (especially on the fonts).

The cover design is subject to change but right now we're still in the process of designing the rest of the publication.

Edited by STGuy1040

nice cover, hopefully I can get you some articles for the issue.

There's no pressure! Contribute what you can and submit the other material later for future issues.

well for sure expect two show reports from me(MGC and VGS)

game reviews might be later on though.

Excellent! I look forward to receiving the coverage! Take your time with the reviews, you already have your hands full. :)