IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 38 *Megamania*

darthkur

s_Megamania_1.png

s_Megamania_3.png

Is it a dream, a nightmare or an alternate reality? You find yourself in space, inside a ship resembling a Klingon Cruiser and you're under attack. Oddly enough it's not enemy ships unleashing an all out assault on you but giant representations of everyday objects such as hamburgers, tires and dice. Is this some sort of cosmic joke or have you finally lost your mind? No time to ponder that question. If you want to survive this surreal experience you must fight and do so quickly. Wave after wave comes at you and there's only so much energy available to confront them with. So don't dawdle, set phasers on charbroil and don't let those horrendous bow ties get you.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings:Initial settings - guided missiles. (default)

Contest ends on: 2-2-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: LaserHawk - 142,970 (+11)

2nd: Cafeman - 121,990 (+10)

3rd: darthkur - 109,830 (+9)

4th: Shannon - 58,930 (+8)

5th: doctorclu - 42,330 (+7)

6th: BydoEmpire - 37,380 (+6)

7th: bohoki - 16,670 (+5)

Current Standings:

1st - darthkur (129) (4)

2nd - Doctorclu (120) (4)

3rd - Mike5200 (56)

4th - Cafeman (48) (2)

5th - Bydoempire (46)

6th - Shannon (39)

7th - Atari5200 (38) (1)

7th - bohoki (38) (1)

8th - Laserhawk (28) (1)

9th - phuzaxeman (22) (2)

10th - chuckwalla (21)

11th - midnight8 (13)

12th - Hex6500 (10)

12th - Lord Thag (10)

12th - midnight magicman (10)

12th - shadow460 (10)

13th - Phantom (9)

14th - JetSet ( 8 )

15th - RXD (7)

16TH - Goochman (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Megamania Manual

Edited by darthkur

So far I got to 82,780. Will improve on that on another day.

yea its hard to set a benchmark early cause everybody wants to beat it

this game reminds me of air sea battle cause you can move your shot after it has left the gun

also you are right my joystick has autofire it helped me in moon patrol but i can only get 16000 on a good day

so put me down for 16670 cause i suck

Edited by bohoki

I am remembering the strategy, and its the same regardless of which system you play on. When the ice cream sandwiches and tires especially start coming in fast, you have to hold your fire and then press the button right when the objects are moving above you. Else, if you keep auto-firing, your shot timing will always be off , you'll be waiting for the top-screen shot to go away and your next shot to come out, which usually makes you get hit.

Patience, grasshoppa. Wait till you see the whites of their eyes. So to speak.

i pressed * and i think it may be easier for me cause i can kind of know to lead the targets and move

gaah i hate this game more than congo bongo

That's using another setting, which is the non guided missiles. I was hoping that everyone would find the guided projectiles easier and therefore having everybody on equal grounds.