IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 9 " Asteroids "

darthkur

118124204995.jpg

s_Asteroids_2.png

Someone once said the the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately three thousand, seven hundred and twenty to one. Now is not the time to dwell upon the odds but of survival because you find yourself smack-dab in the center of an immense field of asteroids. The hyperdrive on your ship must be acting up again because, not having a death-wish, you didn't exactly want to be pulverized by gigantic space boulders. To make matters worse you're not alone. There's automated ships about which are firing blindly to clear the space rocks to make preparation for a new hyperspace express route and they will just as soon shoot you as another piece of cosmic detritus. You could attempt another jump but who knows where you'll end up. Better leave that as a last resort. If you want to live you better start firing and keep out of the way of those tumbling masses of minerals and stone.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: Intermediate (default)

Contest ends on: 2-2-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: xZanU - 89,690 (+11)

2nd: famicommander - 66,520 (+10)

3rd: keitaro - 62,000 (+9)

4th: doctorclu - 49,410 (+8 )

5th: shadow460 - 39,690 (+7)

6th: LaserHawk - 39,210 (+6)

7th: darthkur - 35,740 (+5)

8th: roadrunner - 35,310 (+4)

9th: Shannon - 30,600 (+3)

10th: chuckwalla - 26,890 (+2)

11th: aftermac - 24,880 (+1)

12th: Almost Rice - 22,540 (+1)

13th: HammR25 - 21,490 (+1)

14th: LarcenTyler - 3,980 (+1)

Current Standings:

1st - Darthkur (53)

2nd - HammR25 (48)

3rd - famicommander (45) (1)

4th - AtariFever (41)

5th - suaiden (38) (1)

6th - Sauron (37) (2)

7th - keitaro (32) (1)

8th - atomickneedrop (30)

9th - gdement (28)

10th - xZanU (26) (1)

11th - rockman_x_2002 (18) (1)

12th - doctorclu (13)

12th - roadrunner (13)

13th - LaserHawk (11)

13th - ratfink (11) (1)

14th - Allan (10)

14th - shadow460 (10)

15th - Almost Rice (9)

16th - Shannon ( 8 )

17th - aftermac (7)

18th - Artlover (5)

18th - chuckwalla (5)

19th - bfutrel (4)

19th - Zoyx (4)

19th - LarcenTyler (4)

20th - midnight magicman (3)

21st - mightymage (1)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Asteroids Manual

Edited by darthkur

ast31160ud0.th.jpg

Lasted a little longer. This game is absolute chaos after the first 5 levels.

ast24650ep0.th.jpg

Well it took me about 10 games to get here and it still is not very good. My First submission.

Edited by xZanU

ast47850qc7.th.jpg

That was intense, had a run of high 28k scores before hitting this one. I seem to do a bit better when I avoid the warp button at all costs. Also, why is it that the asteroids roll through each other without impacting/breaking apart?

Avoiding the warp is a mistake. If you're about to crash, you have nothing to lose. Warp and hope for the best. Also you have to make good use of the thrust. It's kinda like Suicide Mission and the Game of Harmony in that regard...you gotta learn to fly the ship.

Avoiding the warp is a mistake. If you're about to crash, you have nothing to lose. Warp and hope for the best. Also you have to make good use of the thrust. It's kinda like Suicide Mission and the Game of Harmony in that regard...you gotta learn to fly the ship.

I do use it on occasion, however only if there is no way out. My luck for reappearing in a place I can see right away is usually slim though so I tend to be hitting the fire button as fast as possible to give me an indicator. I have been using the thrust a bit more, it is tricky but necessary.

Was doing good on another round of this today, but only broke 43,850. The one time I used a warp it made me re-appear inside an asteroid. Hooray! Explode. I've still not found any strategy to this game other than be lucky and tap the thruster around a bit on the higher levels.

a66740xe0.th.jpg

Came up with a bit of a strategy. Once you get to the point where the levels start off with 6+ large asteroids, I have found that it is a heck of a lot easier to focus on breaking down one or two large asteroids at a time (as opposed to shooting at everything that moves). I tend to go for the faster moving rocks first and try to break them all down to nothing. This leaves the slower moving ones to maneuver around (and pick apart later). The only caveat are the annoying enemy ships. If you can not eliminate them before they crash or blow up a bunch of stuff they can really create a big moving mine field.

That's it for tonight, I am pretty happy with this score : )

Ha ha...

For fun I tried to roll my own "Death Blossom" (think 'The last star fighter') with some positive results. It is entertaining to see just how many rocks one can take out doing this (since it basically totally random). I managed to move up from Level 1 to Level 4 by doing just this. Not a good strategy but fun to see how far you can get if you are a bit zonked out on points competition.

The expert level is also kinda entertaining. The enemy ships do not all fly in a straight line, they actually race towards you and can move up down and diagonally. The asteroid split (How many they break apart into when shot) seems the same, but may be more, hard to tell.

Sheesh. Been playing this a ton and have yet to break into the 50k range again. My current best seems to be a miracle score. My hopes were up though when I was at 40k with 5 ships left, I thought for sure it would bring me new found HS Glory. But then I got shot down by one of those tiny little b-st-rd ships. Subsequently I lost the remaining 4 ships to collisions to the tune of 48,320.

Time for a gripe! ... I -wish- this game had a speed limiter. A tiny tap of the thrust is just the right amount of speed to maneuver around in, but once you get into a rock storm and try to fly around a bit more than a tap, the ship is flying so damn fast that you have no chance of a way out other than slamming into something.

EDIT :: 3 More rounds and I got a 55,530 Score. This time I was much heavier on the warp, got to remember to use it. Also, I may be totally mistaken, but it seems like shooting the asteroid on the edges (as opposed to a dead center hit) breaks it apart with a slower return velocity. When I hit them in the middle the smaller bits look to move faster than if I clipped it.

EDIT(2) :: Another Gripe. My last game, every time I used the warp thing, my ship just re-appeared and blew up even though there were no asteroids in that spot. That was seriously annoying.

Edited by xZanU