IGNORED

ColecoVision Arkanoid...

opcode

If someone wanted to put the MSX version of Arkanoid right onto a CV cartridge (similar to Sky Jaguar), could it be done? Forget about control a moment, unless you want to figure in the Turbo or Roller Controller.

I suppose it's entirely possible, but why port the MSX version when the original arcade version also uses a Z80 CPU? In both cases, the workload of porting the software to the CV is roughly the same, but with the arcade version, at least you're getting a game as close to the "real thing" as possible.

If someone wanted to put the MSX version of Arkanoid right onto a CV cartridge (similar to Sky Jaguar), could it be done? Forget about control a moment, unless you want to figure in the Turbo or Roller Controller.

The question is, why would one want to port the MSX version when we can have the arcade version instead? After all, isn't the CV "the arcade quality video game system"? ;)

Oh, wait, I see where you're trying to get. Answer is no, MSX Arkanoid uses more than 1KB of RAM.

I assume that's the box for the MSX version?

Yep, but that is also the illustration used by most official releases of the game, including most European and Japanese releases (Famicom and MSX). Actually the real thing looks much nicer than the scan I posted here, it is very detailed and have that "TRON" quality to it. :)

I kind of like the arcade flyer:

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer&am...=59&image=1

Just need to remove the bit about it being available in a cocktail version and you're good to go. ;)

Before now, I didn't think a still picture could induce an epileptic ceisure. Now I know better. :P

Actually we are going with this one....

Yeah, I saw that one used for the CPC version. I didn't know you had a nice clean version of it. I guess that takes care of that. :)

The question is, why would one want to port the MSX version when we can have the arcade version instead? After all, isn't the CV "the arcade quality video game system"? ;)

Oh, wait, I see where you're trying to get. Answer is no, MSX Arkanoid uses more than 1KB of RAM.

Sheesh, where does it all go? How many screens are there in that game?

So 128K is the practical limit for a CV?

Sheesh, where does it all go? How many screens are there in that game?

IIRC, there are 33 screens in Arkanoid, the 33rd being the battle with Doh.

So 128K is the practical limit for a CV?

There's no real "practical limit", one can devise bankswitching schemes that would allow for insanely large ROMs. But the MegaCart is limited to 1024K. Also keep in mind that 128K EPROMs are cheaper than 256K, 512K or 1024K EPROMs, so it's a smart choice to stay within 128K, no matter which game we're talking about. :)

Did anyone ever make any Coleco cartridges with RAM - ( maybe in the same way as some of the 2600 ram carts )

It's theoretically possible, but very, very complicated to implement. The CV cartridge interface just wasn't designed for that.

Neither was the 2600 interface..

It might actually be easier for the CV - you have 4 select signals - 2 of them could pick rom ( as normal ) - and the other 2 could be R + W for an 8k ram chip.

Should be simple making a 16k+8kram board.

• 4 months later...

This looks to be yet another kick ass title!

As for the controller debate, has anyone suggested perhaps coming up with a basic design for a cheap do-it-yourself spinner controller? I for one would jump at the chance to play this with a real arcade style spinner. I'm guessing one could be built by the gamer themselves for relatively cheap money if there was a FAQ on how to do it.

On the other hand, Atari paddles would work too... just thought I'd mention the spinner idea for the hell of it. Either works for me! icon_smile.gif

Edited by tremoloman2006

Wow, looks great.

I would definitely like to purchase a copy of the Opgrade Module and all games you develop for it. :D

Edit:

I would also like to add, Arkanoid was always one of my favorites! I remember the first time I played it on an arcade machine!

Edited by jeremysart

• 3 months later...

One more vote for Atari Paddle controllers! In fact, I don't see why anybody would want to play such a great game without a paddle.

Try the joystick on the NES..it's just lame. How can anybody manage past the fifth level without the paddle? You simply need that lightning quick reaction time; there isn't another option IMO.

The Vaus controller for the NES is far too flimsy; I have one, and I hardly use it because I'm sure it'll just stop working one day. And the fire button is finnicky; I usually just use the fire buttons on a secondary plugged in joypad.

If this game actually happens, it could really be something! And with it, a great renewal of interest in old school games...played on a supercharged Colecovision! That would be awesome. However, it doesn't seem to be moving as quickly as previously thought...no new word from the developer?

One more vote for Atari Paddle controllers! In fact, I don't see why anybody would want to play such a great game without a paddle.

Try the joystick on the NES..it's just lame. How can anybody manage past the fifth level without the paddle? You simply need that lightning quick reaction time; there isn't another option IMO.

The Vaus controller for the NES is far too flimsy; I have one, and I hardly use it because I'm sure it'll just stop working one day. And the fire button is finnicky; I usually just use the fire buttons on a secondary plugged in joypad.

If this game actually happens, it could really be something! And with it, a great renewal of interest in old school games...played on a supercharged Colecovision! That would be awesome. However, it doesn't seem to be moving as quickly as previously thought...no new word from the developer?

True, so true!

The only way to play such games is with a paddle controller. The difference between Super Breakout with the joystick and a paddle controller just cannot be described. I was able to finish games with a paddle controller!

But to make one for a CV is more difficult than making a digital controller for a 5200.

I'm pretty sure that the CV can't use Atari paddles because it's not wired for them.

The driving controllers would be possible, but the 16 transitions per rotation of a stock controller might be less than desirable.

I am in the middle of a hundred things. You need to understand that I am designing this expansion module, then porting Donkey Kong, then doing some work for Pixelboy in order to raise some money, then desigining a case for the module, and now taking care of my newborn son. So that is why Arkanoid is lower priority right now. But I will resume the game once the module is out, don't worry.

I'm pretty sure that the CV can't use Atari paddles because it's not wired for them.

The driving controllers would be possible, but the 16 transitions per rotation of a stock controller might be less than desirable.

The plain vanilla CV cannot, but the SEM can, using the parallel port.

I am in the middle of a hundred things. You need to understand that I am designing this expansion module, then porting Donkey Kong, then doing some work for Pixelboy in order to raise some money, then desigining a case for the module, and now taking care of my newborn son. So that is why Arkanoid is lower priority right now. But I will resume the game once the module is out, don't worry.

I wish you luck!

• 3 months later...

OK, this is a little off topic I know, but since an Atari paddle was mentioned and it's compatibility came up I was wondering if anybody knows if the Atari CX78 Joypad works with a ColecoVision? These are the joypads that were packed with the 7800 overseas, I believe.

I'm hoping that 1) They are and 2) Both buttons function as if they were the left and right buttons on the Coleco controller. My current disability (I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome) makes using the stock Coleco controller a real pain (pun intended).

Im also wondering if the Atari CX78 joypads will work with a CV????......has anybody tried it?

OK, this is a little off topic I know, but since an Atari paddle was mentioned and it's compatibility came up I was wondering if anybody knows if the Atari CX78 Joypad works with a ColecoVision? These are the joypads that were packed with the 7800 overseas, I believe.

I'm hoping that 1) They are and 2) Both buttons function as if they were the left and right buttons on the Coleco controller. My current disability (I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome) makes using the stock Coleco controller a real pain (pun intended).

Im also wondering if the Atari CX78 joypads will work with a CV????......has anybody tried it?

I do believe they work correctly, yes.