IGNORED

What home video formats can you currently watch on your television(s)?

Rhindle The Red

What home video formats can you currently watch on your television(s)?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What home video formats can you currently watch on your television(s)?

• Betamax
    • VHS / S-VHS / Etc.
    • Laserdisc
    • CED (Videodisc)
    • CD-i Video
    • VideoCD
    • DVD
    • HD DVD
    • Blu-ray
    • Other (please list)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

And by "hooked up", I mean pretty much ready to go. If you've only got it unhooked because you lack enough inputs or cables (I have only one HDMI cable to share between my HD DVD and Blu-ray players, for instance) and it can be quickly plugged in, that counts. The old laserdisc machine that's in the attic and never gets pulled out doesn't. (Unless you want to go hook it up before answering, of course.)

And I'm limiting this to physical media that had commercial distibution of material intended for viewing on televisions because if we start getting into other media, we have to deal with VideoNow, UMD, etc. (Yes, I know you can watch UMDs on televisions now, but that's not for what it was originally *intended*.) And, though it is interesting, I'm not asking about having purely digital distibution available, either. (Because, technically, just about everyone has that available, whether they use it or not.)

Anyhoo, just trying to get some idea what people have "at the ready" for watching their stuff.

VHS, Laserdisc, VCD, DVD and HD DVD. I also clicked "other" because my DVD/VCD player also has SVCD support.

I have a Blu-ray drive, but the computer it's in presently runs Window 2000, which currently has no Blu-ray support (official or otherwise). I haven't been in a hurry to upgrade.

Edited by skunkworx

Well, technically I have a DVD player (Xbox 360) but we use our Apple TV and Media Center PC's running XBMC to watch video. I keep all of my movies on a media server and stream them all over the house. 500+ movies at your fingertips!

I'm not buying any more plastic disk media ever again.

Edited by Lord Helmet

DVD (and it will play various video CD formats, but I've never used it for that), Laserdisc, VHS/S-VHS, and assuming they have President's Day sales... Blu-Ray next month.

At work, I can also play BetaMax and various other tape formats (3/4", BetaCam, DigiBeta, Mini-DV, DVCAM, etc).

The formats that I watch on my HDTV are:

Upconvert 1080p DVD

VHS

DivX

Mpeg4

Video CD

Super Video CD

I really wish I kind of had a CED Video Disc Player from RCA like back in the day. I was going to get one off Ebay but I thought that the Video Discs would just be too heavy. Heavier than records. That's just too much with todays technology. You can also find most of the movies that were available on CED Video Disc back from 1981 to 1983 on DVD. I have my favorite old movies from then stored on my PC hooked up to my HDTV in HD 720p. That's cool with me. I still think of the RCA Video Disc Player from time to time though. I have no more room for more things in my entertainment center. It's filled to the max. This was a good post. I found it very interesting because I like older things from the past such as 45's, 33's, 78's, Classic Video Games & RCA Video Disc Players :0)...

post-12493-1232860320_thumb.jpg

post-12493-1232860367_thumb.jpg

post-12493-1232860394_thumb.jpg

Have a JVC VCR/DVD burner, two Philips all-region DVD players that also play .xvid and various computer formats (plus another one that only works sporadically). Both my TVs have 1080 capability, but I don't have Blu-ray just yet -- that depends on how much my income tax refund is. (Plus, I don't watch many movies, mostly old TV.)

Oh, and a 1984-vintage Toshiba TV for my Atari playing.

The formats that I watch on my HDTV are:

Upconvert 1080p DVD

VHS

DivX

Mpeg4

Video CD

Super Video CD

I really wish I kind of had a CED Video Disc Player from RCA like back in the day. I was going to get one off Ebay but I thought that the Video Discs would just be too heavy. Heavier than records. That's just too much with todays technology. You can also find most of the movies that were available on CED Video Disc back from 1981 to 1983 on DVD. I have my favorite old movies from then stored on my PC hooked up to my HDTV in HD 720p. That's cool with me. I still think of the RCA Video Disc Player from time to time though. I have no more room for more things in my entertainment center. It's filled to the max. This was a good post. I found it very interesting because I like older things from the past such as 45's, 33's, 78's, Classic Video Games & RCA Video Disc Players :0)...

Don't bother with used CEDs. I know that it seems SO cool and retro and all that jazz...but they really do suck.

We had one growing up, and it gave us nothing but problems. Nowadays, it's not a cheap or an easy endeavor to keep them running and in good condition (styli, belts, etc). More often than not, discs are damaged and/or worn. I'd steer clear of them....live through YouTube!!

On a side note, the guy that gave me the Mitsubishi TV also gave me two LD players and about 120 LD's for nothing. I had never adopted the format, because of cost, but I'm astounded as how good the quality is on some of these discs. So, I've got that, a VCR, and a DVD player....nothing too extraordinary....but I'm not a big movie guy....