IGNORED

What home video formats can you currently watch on your television(s)?

Rhindle The Red

What home video formats can you currently watch on your television(s)?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What home video formats can you currently watch on your television(s)?

• Betamax
    • VHS / S-VHS / Etc.
    • Laserdisc
    • CED (Videodisc)
    • CD-i Video
    • VideoCD
    • DVD
    • HD DVD
    • Blu-ray
    • Other (please list)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It's great to see there are a lot of us still using laserdisc players! :) My wife keeps telling me I should copy the laserdiscs and get rid of them. (No way!)

I briefly had a CED player that I picked up at a thrift store and played with, but then ended up selling.

Most of my TV viewing right now is actually through Roku's Netflix box.

I've got a Sony Beta Hi-fi, an RCA selectavision(CED) player, a Pioneer LaserDisk player, and a Zenith VHS Hi-fi...

I also have two fully working Sony betamovie cameras which I have used in the past year.

I got my RCA selectavision with a bunch of free records. I was "helped" with the loading and didn't even know I had it untill I got home and found it in the back of my station wagon. It came with an extremely boring two-disk startrek movie and the Graduate. Since then I've found several movies for it while thrifting... and bought them because they were cheap... my selectavision player has some really weird problem... it's an RF output only model and it seems that after playing a while the signal to the TV will start to drift in and out which is very annoying... I wish I knew how to fix this.

I have a fair number of Laserdisc movies, I seem to find them a lot at pawn shops for not too much.... I wish I had a player that could switch sides automaticaly, but still, it plays pretty nice. Better than VHS that's for sure.

I never find anything betamax other than old un-opened blanks.. so the only stuff I have for it is stuff I've recorded with it.

DVD and VHS. Exotic, I know.

I've been thinking about tracking down a Laserdisc player, simply because gigantic reflective discs are awesome.

EDIT: Forgot. I'm one of seven people in the entire world who actually purchases UMD videos for my PSP. I have a modest collection.

Edited by famicommander

It's great to see there are a lot of us still using laserdisc players! :) My wife keeps telling me I should copy the laserdiscs and get rid of them. (No way!)

I briefly had a CED player that I picked up at a thrift store and played with, but then ended up selling.

Most of my TV viewing right now is actually through Roku's Netflix box.

YEAH!

I actually was NOT planning on adopting the format (especially being that it was 2008), but the guy was giving me 100 movies and two players for free...why not! It's really neat that the sound on some of the better-mastered discs are far superior to their DVD counterparts (the Blue Earth documentary, for example).

He gave me Pioneer from the late 80s that works VERY well, but requires manual 'flipping.' The sony that he gave me is a somethingsomething750, which can flip the disc, but, after about 10 minutes of playing on each side, makes a TERRIBLY loud mechanical noise. I haven't had the motivation to take it apart and check it out yet, but it sounds like the disc isn't balanced properly....

Well, some of this stuff is for my work so I have an obscene number of formats all piped into the same TV:

DVD - all region playback

VHS - worldwide standard VCR

S-VHS - got a couple I used to use profesionally

VCD - I have two devoted VCD decks besides the DVD players that can do it (also plays CD-G's)

LaserDisc - got a couple players in storage too

3/4" U-matic - those big industrial cassettes

Betacam SP - broadcast format, but the deck's busted I think

Betamax - home format, took me forever to find a working one!

Hi-8 - from a camcorder

Video 8 - standalone player

miniDV - from portable deck

X-box with Media center installed and on my network to watch all the downloads

16mm film, super 8 film - the projectors have a video output to the TV

PXL 2000 - it's true, but who cares? ;)

LD used to be the thing. When I taught classes in film school, it was THE way to analyze a movie, so I invested in one. Back then a lot of the movies could easily cost $80 on up for the "special editions" which is what I usually needed to teach from. I keep it around since there are a lot of movies I'm not going to replace on DVD, and also I frequently find LD's in record bins at the thrift. So for a quarter, I can own a movie in somewhat lesser visual quality than a $20 DVD. Works for me...

Video formats are fun. I have Betamax, VHS, Laserdisc and even a CED player. And I also have (drumroll please) U-Matic. Yes, I have a working U-Matic tape deck. You have to be a real geek to keep a U-Matic around. It weighs more than most TV sets and takes tapes bigger than hardback books. The tape itself is 3/4" wide, and each cartridge is only an hour long (or shorter).

But, if anything, the deck looks really cool.

-Ian

Two things:

1) I did say we weren't counting UMD, people. Pay attention! :roll: ;)

I have many UMD movies (twenty-two if I'm counting correctly), compared to something like eight games for that machine. But those movies weren't originally intended for watching on a TV. That ability came later and I didn't want to get into all the portable media types.

2) 108 votes, 108 have DVD. I really thought there might be *somebody* who didn't have one.

• 3 months later...

DVD basically but I do still have one VCR that gets busted out once in a while. Had a bluray player in the form of a ps3 for 6 months. Its not that much better than a dvd unless you have a big huge 1080p tv and even then its not a big deal. don't mind having one of course but meh.

2) 108 votes, 108 have DVD. I really thought there might be *somebody* who didn't have one.

I realised that, at this moment, I don't have a dvd-player operating since it (a nice small teac receiver) is broke and sent back to the factory.

At this moment I also don't have a blu-ray player. I had one (panasonic bd-80) connected to my projector but the audio was not in sync with the on screen action so I sent that one back too. I'm now waiting for the Sony BDP-S550 which which has an adjustment for audio delay.

• 1 month later...

Currently I can watch DVD, LaserDisc, and VHS. My composite cable for my PSP Slim are right there next to the output cables from the LaserActive, so either the PSP or the LaserActive can be used simply by plugging the cables into my DVD player's front input.

I rarely watch a UMD movie on the PSP screen--they almost always get watched on the same screen as everything else. I go out of my way to get UMDs over DVDs quite a bit.

I do own a single CED movie (Saturn 3), but I do not have plans to buy a player.

BTW, I don't know what else the computers, DVD player, and PS2 are capable of. What you see is what I use them for. I know the LaserActive is capable of several different media types, but I don't have the packs for those, or the media.

Edited by shadow460

I go out of my way to get UMDs over DVDs quite a bit.

I just have to ask: why?

I have quite a few UMD movies myself (though they don't count for this survey as I indicated at the beginning), but I would never prefer those bare-bone releases at lower quality over a DVD. Why do you prefer them?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...