IGNORED

Atari 2600 Zookeeper Character Animation Video Found!

Dutchman2000

I think there is enough of the original direction Zoo Keeper 2600 was headed towards that someone could take what is avalible and make a pretty faithful homebrew along the lines of what Atari had in the works so long ago!

The audio and the sprites/animations are very nice, but the real roadblock to this game on the 2600 is the playfield.

Well... maybe it was planned to turn Zeke into a monochrome character when he's standing sideways. Don't forget that when he's standing horizontally, there isn't an asymmetric playfield to draw on those scanlines, so they have more time to do Zeke's color stripes, for instance... while on the scanlines where the interior is (and Zeke moves on those scanlines when standing sideways), there may not be enough cycles to do any color striping at all.

The audio and the sprites/animations are very nice, but the real roadblock to this game on the 2600 is the playfield.

Both sound/sprite FX fall under the catagory of "bells and whistles".

Maybe a functioning kernel really is out there somewhere?

We can only hope that BSR'ers don't find it first.

It always boggled my mind why this game never made it to the 2600. Wasn't Zookeeper out in the arcades fairly early, and nowhere close to the Crash of 84?

Me too, the arcade game was out in 1982, the game was being developed in late 83 early 84. One document that surfaced indicated that the game was released from engineering on 4-11-84. I'm wondering if the game just wasn't coming together or if the license was the issue.

I'm making no promises here but I just had a look at the video and I might be able to use it as a reference point if I strip it frame by frame.

It's been a while since my last time of serious pixel grinding like in the old days on my Amiga in Deluxe Paint 4.

But here's the catch...I don't know what graphical file format the Atari uses.

I mainly use Paintshop Pro and it has the ability to save any pic to IFF format which I can use on my Amiga again.

If I know the format I can check it out if I can save to that format.

Or any other format used today like 8Bit GIF or BMP.

But again I'm making no promises as it'll very time consuming to recreate these Sprites and I don't always have that much time.

I'll see if I can use this WMV as source and hope it isn't too blurry when it gets transformed.

Edited by EoN

Good point. So you are saying if you went off the screen on the top you'd wrap around to the bottom?

Knowing what I know of the Atari 2600's method of drawing characters, I think it would be impossible for Zeke to stand sideways. The game would probably look like this to compensate for the system's limitations.

Here's a few frames cleaned up the best I could, I don't really want to bother with the rest, just playing around. Anyway, I think the appearance of the separate hair color on the girl might just be an effect of the video tape blurring. The post she's tied to is probably a missile.

post-218-1233705006.gif

post-218-1233705287.gif

post-218-1233705318.gif

Edited by Raccoon Lad

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering if the game just wasn't coming together or if the license was the issue.

I think the license may have indeed been the issue. I seem to remember a certain internal memo of 2600 games in development - next to Zookeeper (in handwriting) it said "assignable rights dead" or something to that effect.

Good point. So you are saying if you went off the screen on the top you'd wrap around to the bottom?

Knowing what I know of the Atari 2600's method of drawing characters, I think it would be impossible for Zeke to stand sideways. The game would probably look like this to compensate for the system's limitations.

Yep! I haven't decided if the controls should be reversed on the bottom wall, but I think the arcade game was that way.

I'm wondering if the game just wasn't coming together or if the license was the issue.

I think the license may have indeed been the issue. I seem to remember a certain internal memo of 2600 games in development - next to Zookeeper (in handwriting) it said "assignable rights dead" or something to that effect.

What is "assignable rights dead" supposed to mean? Does it mean the original company lost the rights to it's game before Atari could buy them?

Primordial Ooze

What is "assignable rights dead" supposed to mean? Does it mean the original company lost the rights to it's game before Atari could buy them?

Primordial Ooze

Sounds like Atari lost the rights to use the game by either not renewing the contract or someone else grabbed them. Taito was still in business long after 1984.

Tempest

Are those really VCS graphics?

Hard to tell with Youtube's low quality. Currently you even seem to see some kind of shading, which is defintely impossible.

Animated screenshots would be better.

This video was taken directly from the original videotape. I apologize for the quality but youtube is what it is. I do have a better quality version that I will ask Albert to host so that should help. The video was recorded off of an Atari 800 using the ANIMAT program the animators at Atari used at that time. They would then export the source code and give it to the programmer. I talked to Courtney Granner about this footage and he confirmed that it was genuine and how it was created. He no longer has any of his disks so screenshots will not be possible.

Being a big Atari 800 fan I wonder if the Animat program still exists?

Hard to tell with Youtube's low quality. Currently you even seem to see some kind of shading, which is defintely impossible.

This video was taken directly from the original videotape. I apologize for the quality but youtube is what it is. I do have a better quality version that I will ask Albert to host so that should help. The video was recorded off of an Atari 800 using the ANIMAT program the animators at Atari used at that time. They would then export the source code and give it to the programmer. I talked to Courtney Granner about this footage and he confirmed that it was genuine and how it was created. He no longer has any of his disks so screenshots will not be possible.

Yes, it does.

Yes, it does.

It was just posted over at DP in the thread about the new atari artist interview. I get the link later.

Allan

Yes, it does.

It was just posted over at DP in the thread about the new atari artist interview. I get the link later.

Allan

The link is here. The program is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.digitpress.com/library/intervie..._churchill.html

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I had on Zookeeper after perusing the back issues of the Atari Age magazine from "back in the day"

IN the sneak Peeks section, they would hint at a gme coming up. THen I would say 90% of the time, the game was available for purchase in the next issue. Could this mean that Zookeeper was further along than we think it si? THat a complete prototype is floating out there?

NOw that's just speculation on my part. They mentioned a few games that never came out -- Final Legacy, 5200 Tempest, and Dukes of Hazzard.. BUt for the most part, the pattern of Sneak Peek - Release - seemed to hold true more often than not.

Thought I had on Zookeeper after perusing the back issues of the Atari Age magazine from "back in the day"

IN the sneak Peeks section, they would hint at a gme coming up. THen I would say 90% of the time, the game was available for purchase in the next issue. Could this mean that Zookeeper was further along than we think it is?

Interesting thought.

Let's hope so.

8)

• 4 weeks later...
Here's a few frames cleaned up the best I could, I don't really want to bother with the rest, just playing around. Anyway, I think the appearance of the separate hair color on the girl might just be an effect of the video tape blurring. The post she's tied to is probably a missile.

accualy i found out what that quote "missle" is i was looking at the arcade version of zookeeper on wikipedia and i was reading some and it says Zelda is tied to a palm tree on a stationary platform at the top of the screen, yelling "Save Me" so its not a "missle" its a palm tree and from the looks of it it was not finished

so mystery solved :)

accualy i found out what that quote "missle" is i was looking at the arcade version of zookeeper on wikipedia and i was reading some and it says Zelda is tied to a palm tree on a stationary platform at the top of the screen, yelling "Save Me" so its not a "missle" its a palm tree and from the looks of it it was not finished

so mystery solved :)

:?

What are you talking about?