IGNORED

Fable II

ianoid

I couldn't find a topic about this game, and I really like it.

I'm thinking of playing through it a second time.

I became pretty attached to my character, as much as you can be attached to a miming mute, and his dog. I felt like I actually created how he is looked at by the people in the game, really who he is. I was bummed when I lost my family.

It's like Grand Theft Auto in the fantasy RPG genre. You can kind of do what you want.

And I really like the bread crumb trail and the dog.

I really enjoyed amassing real estate too.

I enjoyed the game very much. Started out kinda slow but picked up after the first couple hours in when it quit holding your hand so much.

I utterly beat this game a few days ago. I need two of the co-op achievements the expression one and the co-op attack one. If anyone wants to partner up and try to snag these two achievements hit me up.

I never got around to beating it. I got past the part where you escape the Spire after 10 years and rescue that bad-ass magician guy. That's where I quit because I had tons of other games pulsing for me to play.

My game queue as of November:

Fallout 3

Fable II

Call of Duty 5

Left 4 Dead

Far Cry 2

Banjo Kazooie

Mass Effect

...the list seems to never end.....

The only games I beat were Fallout 3 because I'm OBSESSED with that game and Call of Duty 5 because the campaign is short.

Seriously I love Fable II. I'm smitten with it, I think it's a super great game. It could be refined, but it's a perfect game for me. You can play it for 5 minutes or 4 hours and generally feel like you've done something.

The bread crumb trail (turn it off if you're too good for it) gives it that put down pick up playability where you don't get lost or forget what you're doing. I would love it if it was even more open world and had more or longer quests and higher experience caps and more monsters. Still, it's just a blast.

Thanks Moycon for doing the co-op achievements!

My favorite game of '07 had to be Portal. My favorite game of '08 is Fable II, I'm still playing it. I think most gamers have already played it and moved on to the next big thing.

Edited by ianoid

Is it better than the first? I love the first one, but as usual, I don't like the parts that are always the same.

Is it better than the first....that's a tough one.

If you loved the first one then you will probably love second one. They are very similar as far as game play goes. The new one has better graphics for sure...and a dog! I agree with ianoid that you can generally pick it up play for a bit and feel like you've accomplished something...if only to just buy some new properties and equipment since even off-line your existing properties and stores are making $$$. You leave the game with $27 and the next day you log in an *cha-ching* you have 14k!! WOOT!!! This was one of those games that you just want to keep picking up and playing. I will admit I found it a bit on the easy side. When you max out your character, especially the inferno spell, (something that's easy to do if you play like a fiend like I did) nothing in the game stands much of a chance against you. If you do get the game Random, give it a little while. I thought the first hour or so was pretty lame. The game just holds your hand too much in the beginning and frankly it's a little annoying. Once that ends, the game picks up considerably.

Is it better than the first....that's a tough one.

If you loved the first one then you will probably love second one. They are very similar as far as game play goes. The new one has better graphics for sure...and a dog! I agree with ianoid that you can generally pick it up play for a bit and feel like you've accomplished something...if only to just buy some new properties and equipment since even off-line your existing properties and stores are making $$$. You leave the game with $27 and the next day you log in an *cha-ching* you have 14k!! WOOT!!! This was one of those games that you just want to keep picking up and playing. I will admit I found it a bit on the easy side. When you max out your character, especially the inferno spell, (something that's easy to do if you play like a fiend like I did) nothing in the game stands much of a chance against you. If you do get the game Random, give it a little while. I thought the first hour or so was pretty lame. The game just holds your hand too much in the beginning and frankly it's a little annoying. Once that ends, the game picks up considerably.

Thanks. I loved the game world in the first one, so if the second one is similar, I should at least like that part of it. I liked the style of the graphics in the first one, so now that the graphics are better than ever, it must be such a joy to look at that your eyes will pop out, run over to the TV and lick the screen.

I liked the style of the graphics in the first one, so now that the graphics are better than ever, it must be such a joy to look at that your eyes will pop out, run over to the TV and lick the screen.

You will like it for sure. It really is a pretty game. (You might consider snagging Eternal Sonata also)

Whoever had the final say so (Maybe R. Crumb?) on the model for the women in Fable 2 liked them busty and thick.

This is perfectly fine with me except that many of them look exactly the same and even wear the same clothes. Kind of strange. You'd have thought they at least would switch up the color of clothes. Still...I wound up marrying 4 of em, including two of them that looked exactly alike! Couldn't help myself.

Edited by moycon

Any game that give you an achievement for having a threesome is fantastic in my book.

Kidding aside, it is easily on my Top 10 list of 360 games.

I absolutely loved it and am looking forward to a second run through.

Yeah, I wish I could customize the appearance of the hero to start like you can henchmen, not just haircut/clothes. I get kind of sick of looking at my peeps. And I wish I could see closer up on all the character models. A zoom in/zoom out functionality would have been nice. I want to marry the hoes as they seem the hottest in general, I mean the ones in bloodstone.

The bandits and townspeople say different stuff to you depending on what sex your character is. I haven't gotten to it (second play through as an evil female character), but if you have a gay marriage can you have kids? I currently have a female character and, well, I guess I'll find out soon. Needless to say I'm pro-gay marriage.

I ordered the guide on eBay to work on finding all the talking walls and gargoyles. I could do it on my own but it would take more time than I can handle. Plus I have other questions about how things work in the game.

The bandits and townspeople say different stuff to you depending on what sex your character is. I haven't gotten to it (second play through as an evil female character), but if you have a gay marriage can you have kids? I currently have a female character and, well, I guess I'll find out soon. Needless to say I'm pro-gay marriage.

You can't have kids.

You can't have kids.

I like how you know that. Unfair! But seriously, I don't care that much about kids, I'll have reknown to spare by that point, and there is no achivement related to kids, correct? I think it's get married multiple times, not have kids with multiple peeps.

Edited by ianoid

I like how you know that. Unfair! But seriously, I don't care that much about kids, I'll have reknown to spare by that point, and there is no achivement related to that, correct? I think it's get married multiple times, not have kids with multiple peeps.

I'm wanting to say there is an achievement for having a kid as well as marrying once, twice and having a 3-some.

I like how you know that. Unfair! But seriously, I don't care that much about kids, I'll have reknown to spare by that point, and there is no achivement related to that, correct? I think it's get married multiple times, not have kids with multiple peeps.

I'm wanting to say there is an achievement for having a kid as well as marrying once, twice and having a 3-some.

I have no special insight because I had no involvement with II, but I think Moycon and you are right. I think I did get an achievement for having two wives at the same time :)

I got the polygamist achievement last night for having two wives. I married two whores in Bloodstone that look exactly alike. And they fight when they run into each other, definitely amusing. One of the whores I got the perfect date achievement with as well. Her perfect date was to take her to Bloodstone Mansion gardens and Belch. My kind of girl! I had to give her a ring.

Of course, these are lesbian marriages. Which in real life I am not at all opposed to.

I think that one of the big things that keeps me coming back to the game, and something that other games should do, is the earning of money when the game is off. I spend half my time buying real estate and furnishing places to increase rent. And since I'm playing the evil angle, I raise rent and prices. Once you start getting rent in the $4k gold realm, money becomes less of an issue, which is both good and bad for the game.

Edited by ianoid

• 3 weeks later...

All in all, I liked it a lot. Had fun playing it. I'll probably play it again soon just for the fun of it. Probably has the best implementation of a dog I've ever scene in a game. Very well done.

Combat isn't bad. Difficulty is on a good even keel. Lots of relevant side missions. A decent level of puzzle solving mechanics (tho I wish there were more). Graphics and sound are pretty good. You can keep playing after you finish the game (which is nice, but after awhile, you still end up with nothing left to do/buy/own.

That said.....

It seems rather small in the bigger scheme of things. It's also rather linear and guided. A lot of the time you are limited to fixed pathways and can't freely explore beyond the boundries they set. Certainly not equivelent to an open world adventure like Fallout 3 or SaintsRow 2 or anything. Not at all, can only walk where allowed, can only jump off places where you're allowed, can only climb up in a very very select few places where you're allowed.

They also kind of seemed to drop the ball on that whole "real life simulator w/rpg elements" in many little ways.

No sex scene. Black screen with some of the dummest diologue ever. Come on, it's a mature rated game. You know, 17+. The sex is about the only thing I can see in the game that would make it M rated, and what is there is hardly M rated in nature. You have more sex, nudity, language and violence in a PG-13 rated movie.

Can't kill kids. So much for real life sim. Sorry, killing some kids in a game isn't going to make me want to really kill children any more then playing games like GTA4 or whatnot make me want to drive like an idiot and run over people, have a shootout with the police, blow up buildings, or anything else. It's a damned game. Not real. Fantasy. Existing to let people do things they can't really do. (The Video Game and Ratings industries really need to get their shit together one of these days and realize that Video Game does not equal toys for children. Mature adults play games too and represent one of the largest bases of players. It's not my fault or problem some bad parent somewhere lets their kid play a game they shouldn't be playing, or a store breaks the law and sells a minor something they legally aren't allowed to buy. We deserve to be treated like the adults we are.

Seems pregnancy can ONLY happen between a married couple. Oh, I've been playing as a female character the last two play throughs. I can have all the unprotected sex I want with every guy in Albion (I'm the biggest slut in the land) and all I get are STD's. Never get pregnant. I wasn't able to get pregnant till I married a guy. Not very real life if you ask me. Then I was saddened by the fact that the entire pregnancy is a cutscene. I was kinda hoping to get pregnant and develop over time, being able to go into battle or work as a blacksmith in that condition. Would have been pretty sexy, especially since I run around with no clothes. Well, rather, as little clothes as I'm allowed to wear. (Again, it's rated M for mature players. Treat me as such!)

Seems like so long as you don't have a baby, you will get pregnant from your spouse every time you have unprotected sex. So long as a baby is already present, you can't get pregnant again, not until they grow up and start wondering around the streets on their own. Again, not very real life.

What are the functions of STD's anyways. It doesn't seem like they hurt you in anyway, just a number in the logbook?

On the good side, I do appericate the openness of some aspects. Like you can have sex with and marry the same gender and have sex with multipul patners at the same time. I had a nice big ole gangbang where I seduced and hired a total of 8 assorted men and women. If only we had graphics!

Back to the bad. Crowds. Everyone loves me, and a crowd always forms. It gets to the point where I have dozens of people around me, following me, making it hard to move around and go places. I was trying for a bigger gangbang above, but it got to the point I couldn't move, had a hard time getting into the room and some of partners I had collected were threatning to leave because I was taking too long. Well yeah, because there are like 2 dozen people blocking the f'in doorway.

If you get engaged, there doesn't seem to be a way to break it off. I accidently engaged myself to a guy and did everything I could to get out of it. Slap him, scare him, be rude to him, just wouldn't leave. I ended up telling him to follow me into the forrest then killed him. There has got to be a better way. ??

Can't seem to loot bodies of people you kill. "Sometimes", in a few isolated cases, yes, but not as a general rule.

Can't really customize your character. Beyond changing clothes, makeup, hair, etc.. with doesn't have much impact in the end. Character development in-game seems off. Fat? I'm running all over the place, fighting constantly. Doing odd jobs. I don't even eat food most of the time, I use potions instead. But I eat one piece of cheese and I suddenly get fat? Bullshit! Not that I mind being fat, if I could customize my character I'd make her fat anyways, it's just an issue that the in-game dymanics for handling it seem off.

Ending. Rather the entire system of auto save and only one game save exists that you are not in control of. IE: You can never undo any bad choice you make. Yeah, yeah, real life sim. Only it's not very real life as it stands, so why force it on me here. It's a GAME, one of the features of which is loading up an older save and redoing something if you don't like how it goes. I made the mistake of being selfless when I finished the first time and was absolutly furious that I lost my dog. Hence why I played a second time and went with love. Ain't playing without my dog, it's the best part of the entire game. For that matter, I don't even understand why I have to choose. The all powerful spire can't grant a more encompasing wish? Seriously why only eitther everyone who died building it, or my loved ones (or wealth, but that's useless really). Why not revive everyone who died as a result of the spire? Why not some evil options, like be supreme ruler of the world and take Lucien's place.

When did MS abandond some of their own rules regarding achievements and start allowing some achievements to only be obtainable via on-line play. This isn't the only game that breaks these policies, and seems to be getting worse all the time.

Anywho. All in all, it's not bad. I'll be playing it again, that's for sure. But it's still far short of perfection.

• 2 weeks later...

A few comments:

Perv!

But seriously, I did similar stuff.

I would like to work more at character modeling. And by the end, my female character was so bulky and blue veined she wasn't much to look at. Yikes! I've done the naked female character thing too. I particularly liked that in Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.

If you want to defatify yourself, buy Knothole Island, they have some potions for that. And a few hours of quests. The value for that is... ok.

You can save at any time, and you can save before your final choice, and go back and get achievements for all three endings. I chose selfless too, then I just abandoned that character and started over after I saved and then lost my chance to redo the endings. I didn't want to go on without my dog.

True, quite short of perfection, but my favorite gaming experience of last year, even though I mostly played it this year.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to defatify yourself, buy Knothole Island, they have some potions for that. And a few hours of quests. The value for that is... ok.

Nope, don't want to defatify myself. I wanna be fat.

Tho I do understand that with the Knothole Island add-on, there is a way to revive dead characters, including your dog. After I finished the first time and lost my doggy to the choice I made, I was on the verge of signing back into live and letting my 360 be updated to that horrible NXE just so I could buy it and get my dog back. But then I came to my senses and just started over with a new game. :P

You can save at any time, and you can save before your final choice, and go back and get achievements for all three endings.

You can save at any time, true, but it's still only that one save, so once auto-save kicks in, you lost your previous save point. I know about that trick, but honestly, it's not about unlocking achievements for me. Not my thing, I play to play. I just wanted to go back and change it when I lost my dog, and by then the trick wouldn't work because it already auto-saved apon going back to Albion. Tho the money trick is handy.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the last gestures for the Completist are a pain. I'm stuck trying to get Extort, Hat Headband Mustache and the one you get from xbox.com. I did the movie, but I didn't get the gesture. And I'm working on pub games to get HHM. Even with my evil character, somehow I got the temple of light instead of the temple of darkness. It's painful to get 100% evil. I guess I'll have to go on a town killing spree.

Any advice on getting those? I have the guide, so I know the deal with those.

We are playing this one right now.

I like it quite a bit.

Seconded on the dog. That part of the game is just great!

This game will have some nice replay value too. It's not so long that it inhibits running a few different characters through.

If you just want to experience the game, leaving the trail on makes sense. It's a lot harder with it off. Great design choice there.