IGNORED

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

I'm grabbing this tomorrow. Screw it, I'll eat ramen for the next week if I have to. Buddy grabbed it tonight and we had SO much fun on Golden Axe 3 and SoR 2.

Even if you have all the stuff on emulation, I'd say it's still worth grabbing, just for the convenience of it all. Getting to play Phantasy Star and Golden Axe Warrior without having to dig out my Master System is a HUGE plus!

My copy came yesterday. Still haven't had a chance to try it out yet though. Since I never owned a Genesis back in the day and now only have one with a couple games that i haven't played. I'll probably be over whelmed when i load it up. I really hope this sells well in the hope more classic comps will be released. I love the thought of playing these old games AND getting achievements.

My copy came yesterday. Still haven't had a chance to try it out yet though. Since I never owned a Genesis back in the day and now only have one with a couple games that i haven't played. I'll probably be over whelmed when i load it up. I really hope this sells well in the hope more classic comps will be released. I love the thought of playing these old games AND getting achievements.

Yeah its cool. I unlocked a few already playing the Golden Axe games. Is it me or are these games still hard as hell? :)

I definitely couldnt beat them way back when and I still cant. I'm getting close though because of the handy Save State feature.......

I fired up the older PS2 version over the weekend and enjoyed many hours of gaming , and also watched all the video interviews of SEGA developers while I ate my dinner. Does this new compilation also have interviews?

In particular I played Ristar and was astounded that I ran out of continues before I could beat the game! That musical level and the bird boss wiped me out. Ristar is such a fantastic game. It has an obvious 90's Sonic Team feal to it. Graphically you will be reminded of Sonic the hedgehog 16-bit games a bit; audibly you will be reminded of NiGHTS into Dreams. The greatest part of Ristar for me is after beating a world, as Ristar hurls himself into outer space and flies with the stars to the next planet, and the summation scoring info is displayed and fantastic music plays. What a great reward for defeating the world & its boss.

Also played my months-old Phantasy Star IV game ... criminy, why did they have to name the magic/tech moves in with made-up words that are too hard to remember what they do? PSIV has its moments but it annoys me just as much as I enjoy some battles. Trying to find my way thru the Air Castle is proving annoying .. time to check the net for a map.

I fired up the older PS2 version over the weekend and enjoyed many hours of gaming , and also watched all the video interviews of SEGA developers while I ate my dinner. Does this new compilation also have interviews?

Has the same set of interviews we all have already seen in Sega Genesis Collection on the PS2/PSP. While I'm glad they included them for the 5 people that haven't seen them yet, some new material to supplement it would've been nice.

While I'm glad they included them for the 5 people that haven't seen them yet, some new material to supplement it would've been nice.

I don't have the PS2 version (I must be one of the five) but I also could care less about them, The 360 and PS3 version has 12 more 16 bit games and 4 more arcade games than the PS2 version. Maybe Sega figured people would rather play games than watch interviews and if someone really really wanted to watch an interview they could probably find 100's of them on the www? (I can't imagine more than 5 people buying a game to watch an interview though) Bring on the games!!!!! ;)

I'll have to agree with the folks that say the games should have had multiple achievements. At this point when the achievements pop, when next I die, I just quit and start up a new game. Would have been great to have more incentive to keep playing through the games. Although I've already played several I'll be firing up again and playing some more even though I have the achievement for that game already. As I predicted, this disk over-whelms a person, especially one who hasn't really messed with the Genesis much in the past.

Edited by moycon

While I'm glad they included them for the 5 people that haven't seen them yet, some new material to supplement it would've been nice.

Maybe Sega figured people would rather play games than watch interviews and if someone really really wanted to watch an interview they could probably find 100's of them on the www? (I can't imagine more than 5 people buying a game to watch an interview though) Bring on the games!!!!! ;)

Keep in mind we're talking about bonus content, it should be a given that it takes a backseat to the actual games.

This release also subtracts several Genesis titles, such as one of the Shinobi games; along with scrapping 7 of the 80s arcade classics that we got between the PS2 and PSP releases (Carrying over just 3 of them to this game). So its not quite that big of a leap forward, in my opinion. If you like Sega's early 80s arcade titles, I'd suggest picking up the previous collection for both systems if you have a PS2 and PSP available, to complement this latest collection.

Edited by Atariboy

So its not quite that big of a leap forward, in my opinion. If you like Sega's early 80s arcade titles, I'd suggest picking up the previous collection for both systems if you have a PS2 and PSP available.

Just to clarify for those who haven't got either version, that was total game count.

The 360 and PS3 actually have 16 of the older home games the PS2 version doesn't offer, and omits 4 from that collection.

These are the games omitted:

Ecco Jr.

Shadow Dancer

Sword of Vermillion

Virtua Fighter 2

Looking at the reviews of both versions on IGN, any way I try and look at it, if not a leap... it's a great step forward if you consider more games a good thing.

Unless the new games are crap?

Alien Storm

Beyond Oasis

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Dynamite Headdy

E-SWAT

Fatal Labyrinth

Gain Ground

Shining Force

Shining Force 2

Shining in the Darkness

Sonic 3

Sonic 3D Blast Sonic & Knuckles

Sonic Spinball

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 2

Streets of Rage 3

I've already tried out some of these so I know that at least not all of them are crap.

I can't see buying the old version unless the omitted games are SUPER! I've played VF 2. Never been a fan of the VF series. Sword of Vermillion I already spent 800 points (luckily they were free) for on the Wii VC. Not so sure I'd drop the $$ to play Ecco Jr. and Shadow Dancer. I would be interested in the arcade game Tac/Scan that comes on the PS2 disk but not the newer one. Me, myself, I don't see it being worth the dough to play the small number of games not included. Others may disagree.

Maybe if they had achievements!! :P

Edited by moycon

Ok, I got it, and so far, I totally LOVE it (it's nothing I can't play via emulation, but I can now play it on my nice tv and through my stereo system!), but what is UP with that "favorite ranking" thing? That's almost completely unnecessary. I know which games I like and which I don't! I don't get it.

Is this also the first time that ALL of the pre-online Phantasy Star (US release anyway) games have been available on one compilation, or did the PS2 version have all of them too? Just curious, as it's really convenient to have them all in one place (even if I do own all of the original cartridges).

Is this also the first time that ALL of the pre-online Phantasy Star (US release anyway) games have been available on one compilation, or did the PS2 version have all of them too? Just curious, as it's really convenient to have them all in one place (even if I do own all of the original cartridges).

In English, yes, I think so. If a Japanese release counts, there was Phantasy Star Collection on the Saturn, with artwork & video bonuses.

Ok, so is there some sort of trick to getting 80,000 points on Flicky? This has to be one of the worst games in existence! The controls are mind-boggling horrendous. You slide all over the place! Try to jump, you slide. Try to jump over a cat, you slide into it. Try to just fucking JUMP, and if you're lucky enough that the game recognizes that you pushed the button, you MAY jump, and then you'll bounce off a fucking wall. Ugh! I HATE it when they make compilations and make you unlock the actual games within! Dammit! Just give me the damn games I paid for! I guess I'll have to pick this up on the PS2 as well, since I can flip the gigantic middle finger to the stupid ass developers and just use my Pro Action Replay to unlock everything (plus the PS2 apparently has Sword of Vermillion, which I LOVE).

Ok, so is there some sort of trick to getting 80,000 points on Flicky? This has to be one of the worst games in existence! The controls are mind-boggling horrendous. You slide all over the place! Try to jump, you slide. Try to jump over a cat, you slide into it. Try to just fucking JUMP, and if you're lucky enough that the game recognizes that you pushed the button, you MAY jump, and then you'll bounce off a fucking wall. Ugh! I HATE it when they make compilations and make you unlock the actual games within! Dammit! Just give me the damn games I paid for! I guess I'll have to pick this up on the PS2 as well, since I can flip the gigantic middle finger to the stupid ass developers and just use my Pro Action Replay to unlock everything (plus the PS2 apparently has Sword of Vermillion, which I LOVE).

The trick is to complete the levels quickly. You get a 20,000 bonus if you finish in under 20 seconds. Just get an under 20 second round, then use a save state. Get an under 20 second round on the second stage. Save again. Get a perfect on the bonus round. Save. By now you should have 60k-70k Use your remaining men to get the rest of the points. I didn't have too much trouble with this one doing it that way.

Yeah, ok, so I got it and all the other games unlocked. Could care less about the interviews. Don't feel like running through the rings the game wants me to to unlock them.

Still, the game overall is excellent. Worth it just to collect all the Phantasy Stars and the early Shining games in one place.

One game I'm finding I like a lot is Fatal Labyrinth.

It reminds me of this Game Gear game I had, Dragon Crystal......one of the first I bought when the Game Gear came out.

The gameplay is almost exactly the same except there's no dragon egg following you and the game is a little more complex.

The trick is to complete the levels quickly. You get a 20,000 bonus if you finish in under 20 seconds. Just get an under 20 second round, then use a save state. Get an under 20 second round on the second stage. Save again. Get a perfect on the bonus round. Save. By now you should have 60k-70k Use your remaining men to get the rest of the points. I didn't have too much trouble with this one doing it that way.

I didn't even need to save the game to get the Flicky achievement.

The game goes so quickly.......that if you lost, it was just as fast to get back to where you were again.

Flicky is another game that I find myself unusually attached to. Also, Ristar........man, that game kicks ass!!!!

One game I'm finding I like a lot is Fatal Labyrinth.

It reminds me of this Game Gear game I had, Dragon Crystal......one of the first I bought when the Game Gear came out.

The gameplay is almost exactly the same except there's no dragon egg following you and the game is a little more complex.

Haha I thought I would be the only one! You get an achievement for getting to level 5. I kept playing the game even after that and made it to like 11. Man the game seems to get pretty dang hard at around 10 though.