IGNORED

SDrive NUXX

c0nsumer

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to transfer files on a disk to the SD card in an SDNuxx? We have some old files we want to archive, and we couldn't figure it out with the typical AtariDOS. I know it can't be too tough, but we never really dealt with command line DOS commands on XL/XE. Or is there a program I should look out for to make it easy to do?

I was going to use that SIO2PC device to hook up an 850 to a serial port, but none of my PCs have serial ports. I'm hoping to avoid upgrading to the USB version to do this when I have an SDNuxx.

well I have just managed to do this but it is a bit of a fudge and there may well be an easier/better way.

1- set your real disc drive to D2 using the selectors on the back

2- load MyCopyR! onto the SDrive D1 slot

3- boot up MyCopieR! and insert your original disc into the drive

4- set Source as D2 and destination as D1

5-Press Start

The only drawback with this method is that the original MyCopier! image on the SDrive is overwritten with the copy of the disc, but it does work:D

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to transfer files on a disk to the SD card in an SDNuxx? We have some old files we want to archive, and we couldn't figure it out with the typical AtariDOS. I know it can't be too tough, but we never really dealt with command line DOS commands on XL/XE. Or is there a program I should look out for to make it easy to do?

I was going to use that SIO2PC device to hook up an 850 to a serial port, but none of my PCs have serial ports. I'm hoping to avoid upgrading to the USB version to do this when I have an SDNuxx.

You can get USB to serial adapters that work pretty well for not very much money. Just do yourself a favor and get one based on FTDI chips, not Prolific chips. While their drivers have gotten better lately, I've personally had loads of problems with Prolific's stuff. FTDI's stuff has consistantly been rock solid for me.

You can get USB to serial adapters that work pretty well for not very much money. Just do yourself a favor and get one based on FTDI chips, not Prolific chips. While their drivers have gotten better lately, I've personally had loads of problems with Prolific's stuff. FTDI's stuff has consistantly been rock solid for me.

No doubt c0nsumer (and just about everyone else) knows more about this stuff than I do, but just make sure you find out the USB-to-serial adapter you get indeed works with serial SIO2PC. I believe the majority of them do not; some timing issue that I'm not technical enough to fully understand or remember. This problem was the impetus behind developing the USB version of SIO2PC (go Atarimax!!). I'd make sure I'd confirmed an account of a particular model working, then seek that specific model. Of course, USB SIO2PC makes it easy, and probably not much more money.

For a nice FTDI UART based USB/serial adapter this is what you would want.

Also, Mouser part number 895-UC232R-10 is an FTDI-branded FT232 cable, generally intended for dev work but available for whatever. It's $18.50 with Mouser's typically cheap shipping. Digi-Key probably has other versions as well.

IMG_4897.jpg

After a surprising number of recent sales this is all the SDrive NUXX PCBs and end panels left; four sets. So if you want one, you may want to order soon. I also happen to have four preprogrammed ATmega8 AVRs, which Digi-Key and Mouser seem to be out of stock on. Once these are gone I will no longer be making SDrive NUXX parts available.

As before these are for sale either as PCB/panel sets ($35), PCB/panel sets with preprogrammed AVR ($40), and assembled ($150). I only have two sets of nuts/screws left for the SIO connectors, so the last two panels sold won't come with them. This shouldn't be a problem, though, as any standard small nut/screw (from your local hardware store) can be used to physically secure the SIO connector.

If you are interested in these please either PM me or email me directly at c0nsumer@nuxx.net. Because there's so few left I'm no longer taking orders online, as I don't want to take orders for more parts than I have.

Thanks again, everyone. This has been a great project.

Thanks again, everyone. This has been a great project.

On behalf of the community once again, thank you for putting together such a professionally meticulous and aesthetically pleasing turnkey solution for us. :)

You're very welcome. I love projects like this, but now I'm a bit stuck because I need to come up with another. It's winter here and spending more and more time indoors makes projects necessary. :D

Consumer: Been checking out your page...

...can't believe how much we've got in common. Atari, Synths, Nature, Biking, and everything! BTW, your MP3 links are down and I'd really like to check out your work!

It's really strange how people with technical interests tend to gravitate to similar things. Or, really useful? ;) Also, your email has been replied to.

You're very welcome. I love projects like this, but now I'm a bit stuck because I need to come up with another. It's winter here and spending more and more time indoors makes projects necessary. :D

If you really need another project, you could design a nice case for the bare SIO2SD devices :lust:

Stephen Anderson

Maybe someone would like to have professionally made Multilink or Midimate interfaces... ;)

If you really need another project, you could design a nice case for the bare SIO2SD devices :lust:

Stephen Anderson

The enclosure is fairly easy when you have control of the PCB design. Unfortunately, for something like the SIO2SD it'd take some custom molding and stuff. Or a PCB redesign, and we've obviously just been through that. ;)

If you're looking for projects, maybe you could make a better one of these:

nads01.jpg

Like you did for the SDrive, you could make a smaller, better looking version. I'd like one in black, please. :)

Stephen Anderson

The enclosure is fairly easy when you have control of the PCB design. Unfortunately, for something like the SIO2SD it'd take some custom molding and stuff. Or a PCB redesign, and we've obviously just been through that. ;)

Yeah - I was trying to get out doing a custom case. Maybe when the weather gets better I'll get around to making something to house it. I have a few other bare PCBs that need small cases as well.

Stephen Anderson

Yeah - I was trying to get out doing a custom case. Maybe when the weather gets better I'll get around to making something to house it. I have a few other bare PCBs that need small cases as well.

Stephen Anderson

I'd like to see a small case for the AtariMax SIO2USB unit.

I love projects like this, but now I'm a bit stuck because I need to come up with another. It's winter here and spending more and more time indoors makes projects necessary. :D

Not Atari related, but I've got more project ideas for you: (...all things I want, but just ignore that... ;))

ADB to USB adapter

These are needed to operate the classic Apple Extended Keyboard (and AEK II - best Apple keyboards made) on modern computers. The only adapter out there is the Griffin iMate - discontinued a few years ago. Every time one of these are on eBay, hordes of keyboard fanatics go berserk to get them. (guaranteed sales if you can produce them cheaply)

Apple II SD adapter

There are lots of Apple II, II Plus, II e computers out there, all needing some form of mass storage. An SD card would be nice. Somebody made one once, but it was massively expensive, now discontinued. Conveniently, it wouldn't need a case - just slot it in.

And if you're really feeling adventurous...

060 Amiga Accelerator

Nobody makes these anymore, but everybody with an Amiga wants one. If somebody could produce a batch that cost under $300 each, there would be a stampede worse than the "Running of the Bulls" in Spain. (I don't really expect you to try this though... it's a bit tricky)

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

Stephen Anderson

I'd like to see a small case for the AtariMax SIO2USB unit.

That's one I need. Also the serial one. Then I have several pieces of AtariVox gear.

Stephen Anderson

I love projects like this, but now I'm a bit stuck because I need to come up with another. It's winter here and spending more and more time indoors makes projects necessary. :D

Not Atari related, but I've got more project ideas for you: (...all things I want, but just ignore that... ;))

And if you're really feeling adventurous...

060 Amiga Accelerator

Nobody makes these anymore, but everybody with an Amiga wants one. If somebody could produce a batch that cost under $300 each, there would be a stampede worse than the "Running of the Bulls" in Spain. (I don't really expect you to try this though... it's a bit tricky)

+1:D

or a new Cuttle Cart 2 type device for the Atari 7800:love:

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely all of the SDrive NUXX parts are gone. I've only got my one that I built for myself and the proto v1.0 PCB left.

With regards to next projects I'm starting to think about a really nice SIO2SD (SIO2SD.NUXX working name). This would be easy to assemble and include a top panel also made out of PCB material. This provides most of the same function as an enclosure but at a MUCH lower cost. Take a look at this oscilloscope from SparkFun for an example of how this sort of top panel is done.

I intend to have it support a number of different LCD pin layouts, a smarter/nicer button layout, potential for either pin header, cable (with SIO connector on the end), SIO connector(s), and stuff like that. As said I'm just starting to think about it, but this could be a nice next project.