IGNORED

SDrive NUXX

c0nsumer

Yeah - I was trying to get out doing a custom case. Maybe when the weather gets better I'll get around to making something to house it. I have a few other bare PCBs that need small cases as well.

Stephen Anderson

I'd like to see a small case for the AtariMax SIO2USB unit.

Enclosures for existing devices are pretty much off my list; sorry. The problem with this is that most devices were not designed to fit well in an enclosure, and getting something custom made up would be prohibitively expensive.

I'll probably redo something but design it to fit better in a case, be more usable, etc. Any sort of custom molding for said case is right out too, as the tooling for that would be beyond what I could afford up front, and would be VERY difficult to recoup.

If you decide to build an SIO2SD NUXX I'm absolutely in for one. The quality of your workmanship is second to none. Having your magic applied to another fine Atari peripheral would be awesome indeed!

... Steve

It's next on my list, and Jakub, the SIO2SD guy, has given it his blessing, so any work will be done with permission. (I don't like just appropriating others projects...)

Now I just need to find time to start the work. After things calm down with my real job I'll probably get going on this next.

Current thoughts are footprints for SIO connectors (normal and DB15 workalikes) so it can be part of a chain of devices, ability to hang a cable off of it via pin headers or direct wiring, cable strain relief. Some nice button layout, hopefully some good artwork. Probably black PCBs again. SD card using the same connector as on the SDrive NUXX (it's relatively easy to solder), support for a few different physical styles of LCD. Erm... Stuff like that. :)

Edited by c0nsumer

I have a SIO2SD in case and SDrive NUXX.

I always use SDrive NUXX.

Steve's products are very tempting (in particular a SIO2SD inside XM301 with two SIO connectors would be nice) but actually I don't see advantages on using SIO2SD instead of SDrive NUXX.

Do I miss something?

Steve's products are very tempting (in particular a SIO2SD inside XM301 with two SIO connectors would be nice) but actually I don't see advantages on using SIO2SD instead of SDrive NUXX.

Do I miss something?

Honestly, I don't think so. I want another project, and I think the SIO2SD could benefit from getting some polish and the community could benefit from an open source design. With markedly reduced enclosure costs I can see this being a lot cheaper than the SDrive NUXX as well. Sure, the LCD will add some cost, but cheap ones aren't very much at all.

I think this will appeal to people who just happen to want an LCD. It'll also give me something new to work on. ;)

Do I miss something?

Many of us simply appreciate having these wonderful and proven I/O devices available in a completely professional package. Every time I get the SDrive NUXX out I can't help but to appreciate its ergonomic and aesthetically-pleasing design.

Do I miss something?

Many of us simply appreciate having these wonderful and proven I/O devices available in a completely professional package. Every time I get the SDrive NUXX out I can't help but to appreciate its ergonomic and aesthetically-pleasing design.

You haven't undestood my question.

I like Steve's products (I have Sdrive NUXX) and if he would make a SIO2SD perhaps I would buy it (although I already have a SIO2SD by Pigula boxed by Lotharek).

Finding myself always using Sdrive instead of SIO2SD, I want to know if SIO2SD is better.

Steve, two SIO connectors would be nice to connect a printer.

I would also like a display with more than 2 lines.

• 4 weeks later...

With SDrive, I suppose there's no way to load another disk image without rebooting, right? I mean, if you boot with only one disk image selected, there's no way to "insert" another disk? An example: say I loaded "The Last Word" disk, typed some stuff, then found out I have no space left on the disk - is there any way to select another empty disk to save on? I assume not, because the current program running would be using all the RAM and have to be swapped out for the SDrive program to run, right?

That would be the first SDrive disadvantage over floppy that I've run into so far - no way to swap disks without rebooting. (I mean disks you didn't initially start with.)

With SDrive, I suppose there's no way to load another disk image without rebooting, right? I mean, if you boot with only one disk image selected, there's no way to "insert" another disk? An example: say I loaded "The Last Word" disk, typed some stuff, then found out I have no space left on the disk - is there any way to select another empty disk to save on? I assume not, because the current program running would be using all the RAM and have to be swapped out for the SDrive program to run, right?

That would be the first SDrive disadvantage over floppy that I've run into so far - no way to swap disks without rebooting. (I mean disks you didn't initially start with.)

There is... and isn't. The device itself doesn't really stop it, but there's not software yet to do so. The config program uses SIO calls to tell the device which ones to use. There is zero reason why that can't be done while things are going. I've meant to write some utilities of this sort for it, and some day I'll get around to it :D

I want to know if SIO2SD is better.

Here's some information posted by a user of both from a previous thread:

SDrive / SIO2SD Comparison

Keep in mind that comparison isn't entirely accurate. Particularly that the SDrive always defaults to a blank config. That hasn't been true for a while.

And you can change drives other than with the default configuration utility, just no one has made software to do it easily yet...

I've offered to fit SIO2SDs in XM301 cases but it's a lot of work. In any case, I had zero takers... :)

...You do now :)

I've had an SIO2SD bare now for about a year, and my attempts to build a case have been somewhat... flawed, shall we say. Cheap Dremel rip-offs from Aldi do not a good tool make when trying to cut holes in crappy Maplin project boxes or wood from Hobbycraft...

I'm not overly bothered about an XM301 case specifically (although it would be cool) but if you'd be able to put it in any kind of case for me, you would have my eternal gratitude! (as well as monetary recompense of course :))

I want to know if SIO2SD is better.

Here's some information posted by a user of both from a previous thread:

SDrive / SIO2SD Comparison

Thank you very much, MrFish.

I missed/forgot that thread.

Mr.Amiga500 can find the answer to his question too.

Sure, no problem. I remembered seeing it quite a while back, and thought it sounded like a decent comparison by someone with technical knowledge. Although, I own neither one of the devices, I was keeping it "under my hat" in case I ever decided to buy one. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know how to get files to be displayed in the order you want them? When copying files to a blank SD, they are displayed in the order that you copy them (strangely, not the file date). This is fine as long as you carefully copy them in the order you want them (although tedious), but once you start deleting and adding files, new files pop up in gaps left by the deleted files. (why??) I tried to create folders and move the files into the folder in the order I want, but then it goes totally random! This is really annoying.

Is there any convenient method for getting files consistently in the order you want them? (file names don't help, file dates don't help)

Does anybody know how to get files to be displayed in the order you want them? When copying files to a blank SD, they are displayed in the order that you copy them (strangely, not the file date). This is fine as long as you carefully copy them in the order you want them (although tedious), but once you start deleting and adding files, new files pop up in gaps left by the deleted files. (why??) I tried to create folders and move the files into the folder in the order I want, but then it goes totally random! This is really annoying.

Is there any convenient method for getting files consistently in the order you want them? (file names don't help, file dates don't help)

Are you using Vista or Win7? There's actually no particular order to the files that you control, it's the order that your OS displays them in.

Thanks for the link, but there are two problems with that program.

1. It requires Windows, which I don't use.

2. The only thing that would be useful to me is the "playlist mode" (manual ordering), which only works for long filenames because it replaces the short filename with a number. SDrive displays short filenames, so I would see just a list of numbers. (useless)

What does everybody else do about this problem? Do people just dump files onto the SD and not care about the order? I like to order them - putting the best games at the top of the list for easier access and the less useful stuff way down the list.

Well, it looks like I'll just have to wipe the SD and manually copy each file in order... again.

I got my SDrive all put together and working today. I just want to give a shot out to everybody who was responsible for creating. I have been sitting here just randomly trying programs and just thinking is this really that easy now? WOW.

Now I just need to organize the programs on a couple SD cards. Fun. Great times a head. :cool:

Allan