IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 1 *Joust*

darthkur

1181242123210.jpg

s_Joust_3.png

You're a noble knight, replete in shinning golden armor. It is your honor bound mission to defend the kingdom from the hordes of malevolent buzzard riding raiders whose demented lust for power and destruction threatens your way of life and very existence. Don't let them gain the higher ground or you will be dismounted and doomed. Strategically attack them from above and see them transmorph into their primitive embryonic form, from which they will hatch with twice as much fury if you do not collect them before they emerge and take flight. You must also be wary of the ravenous pterodactyl that will devour you in one gulp. It is most difficult to defeat and swift of wing so you would be well advised to avoid it's bloodthirsty grasp. So be strong, valiant and strike true for the entire kingdom is depending upon you.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings:Skilled. (default)

Contest ends on: 3-2-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: doctorclu - 1,611,000

2nd: Cafeman - 496,100

3rd: darthkur - 204,750

4th: roadrunner - 152,350

5th: thursday83 - 112,750

6th: Scihorror - 96,950

7th: Mingy Jongo - 75,150

8th: bohoki - 68,400

9th: RangerG - 53,100

10th: BydoEmpire - 50,100

11th: LarcenTyler - 42,850

13th: MIKE5200 - 2,250

Current Standings:

None

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Joust Manual

Edited by darthkur

I am definitely hooking up my 5200 for this one! Joust 5200 brings back endless memories of playing for hours, both alone and often with my friends & family. 5200 Joust has a noticeably stronger flap than the coin-op version. This saves your hand from cramping thankfully and still allows for accuracy in flight.

Just be careful - unlike the coin-op version, in this one the riders hatch into mounted birds, and you *can* die if you bounce low into them (before they take off).

*attempts to repress a rude SNORT*

Hey - this is the HIGH SCORE forum. I think you were looking for the PIDDLY SCORE forum.

:twisted:

:cool: That was a five minute game. I'm just warming up...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...20hsc&st=25

"Oh, man! I didn't say I can shoot 1 mil on expert!! It's the work just for real joust masters like Doctorclu...

Fandal"

I am definitely hooking up my 5200 for this one! Joust 5200 brings back endless memories of playing for hours, both alone and often with my friends & family. 5200 Joust has a noticeably stronger flap than the coin-op version. This saves your hand from cramping thankfully and still allows for accuracy in flight.

Just be careful - unlike the coin-op version, in this one the riders hatch into mounted birds, and you *can* die if you bounce low into them (before they take off).

One of the reasons I love this game so much is all the hours spent playing with friends and family. Hours and hours. I matter the fact, sometimes my family members and I get together and still play this game.

My helpful tip (since I currently have the high score) is the trolls. They are your best ally. If you are outnumbered, hang low and let the trolls even the odds. ;)

This trick I found does not work at all in the 7800 version, as the troll there is the 5200/800 version's nephew or something.

I love how the birds tend to glide more in the 5200/800 version. The feeling is flight, rather than trying to keep a brick in the sky (which is the way the arcade and more faithful ports felt.)

The 7800 version feels a lot like the 800/5200 version. (Just tried it)

The 2600 version feels amazingly like the arcade. Just interesting how the eggs fly in the air until they hatch, and you can't have more than three enemies of any type on the screen at any given time. Other than that, amazing.

377,400. I finally got that two button 7800 joystick recased in a 2600 stick working. :) Sweet!

i would love to hear the plans for this conversion hwo do you do the joystick directions

are the "trolls" the lavahand?

i don't like having to play a game a long time to get a high score how long does it take to get 300,000?

same with pengo geez the bar is so high it takes an hour of play to get there

buck rogers was fine since any one game to get up to 200000 can be done in 10 minutes or less sure you have to play it a lot but any one game doesn't last that long

put me down for 68,400 cause that is all my patience will allow

Edited by bohoki

i would love to hear the plans for this conversion hwo do you do the joystick directions

are the "trolls" the lavahand?

i don't like having to play a game a long time to get a high score how long does it take to get 300,000?

I'll make a thread on the 7800 forums soon about the two button 2600 joystick. It needs one more modification.

With the 5200 I have the 7800 redemption module, so that stick, and the D pad have just been excellent. If you can't get the redemption modules, the Wico sticks are quite good. I'm finding all the 5200 needs is a good controller. After that the game selection is great!

The 300K game was probably 20 minutes.

The troll is the lavahand, yes. And verryy effective on the 5200/800 versions. ;)

Got stuck on Wave 8 - The first pterry wave. I remember I was always able to nail the pterodactyl when I would play on the actual system. Ahh, the memories...

Second attempt: 64,400 - One buzzard away from passing the pterry wave...

Edited by Scihorror

I got 496,100 on actual hardware and stock sticks ... and something went badly wrong with my 5200 controller port. Basically left stopped working on all sticks; plugged in the masterplay and a genesis 6-button, and it didn't work correctly either. Could have gotten higher but this is my final score, looks like.

Edit - added the picture finally.

I really enjoyed relearning the nuances of 5200 Joust. I usually have been playing the coin-op Williams versions on compilation disks over the past decade or so. I LOL'd when I heard Pterry's modified squawk in this version... the blue Shadow Lord riders aren't as aggressive in this version but I did notice that they did keep getting more intense, even starting to bounce off the top of the screen just like in the coin-op. I was surprised when Pterry started to make an early-level appearance in later waves, even when it wasn't a Pterry Wave! I did kill that SOB one time (Caf Jr's jaw dropped when he saw it, but it was a last-second desperate and lucky attempt not to die that turned into the Pterry-slaying, to be honest!)

Man, I'm bummed out that my 5200 crapped out on me!

post-37-1235657999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman