IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 11 "Robotron: 2084"

darthkur

Ah, but who will be the first to crack TWO million?

Oh wait. Me. :D

img00061mz3.jpg

Guess that's what they call throwing down the gauntlet, eh? It's going to be a busy week, methinks! ;)

I can't believe I've never caught the Robotron bug before. I actually had this game back in the day, but rarely played it. As a kid, I had no idea you could use two joysticks :ponder:

Now that I really gave it a go, this is one HELL of an addicting game! I just jumped to the top of my list. Eugene Jarvis could sure make 'em, couldn't he? Fun, fun, fun!

Ah, but who will be the first to crack TWO million?

Oh wait. Me. :D

Now that I really gave it a go, this is one HELL of an addicting game! I just jumped to the top of my list. Eugene Jarvis could sure make 'em, couldn't he? Fun, fun, fun!

Congratulations! :) I'm just happy to pass a million on this, but you know, I might give two million a try. As for this game being addictive... I think the reason why we never got into Robotron before is we (or at least I) tried other versions. But somehow the 7800 version got us/me. Sometimes it takes a particular version of a game I think.

Congratulations! I'm just happy to pass a million on this, but you know, I might give two million a try. As for this game being addictive... I think the reason why we never got into Robotron before is we (or at least I) tried other versions. But somehow the 7800 version got us/me. Sometimes it takes a particular version of a game I think.

Thanks! Don't you just love that feeling you get when you first realize you are going to have your best game ever of something? Nothing like it!

Yeah, you may be right. This version is just outstanding. I have a whole new respect for the 7800's ability to handle sprites. Ye GODS those later levels are beyond insane. Two hundred critters charging at lightspeed and nary a flicker or slowdown to be had. There's not another system from the era that could do that this well, I think. Mario might be a stretch, but I'd like to see the NES or SMS (or even the SNES or the TG16) pull this game off!

Oh, and for anyone who would like a couple of tips:

1. It's all about the people. They are where the money is at, rescuing them is top priority.

2. The real scoring is on the Brain levels. Watch as the board is assembled, then direct your fire against the biggest clump of them. Grab as many people as you can, as quickly as you can, and whittle down your foes to an enemy or two while you get ALL of the people. Even if you die, you'll still earn two or three free men.

3. Always watch as the board is assembled. Plan to head towards the thickest group of people, and head for a corner. The nastiest enemies are easiest to shoot from the edges because they tend to hang out, or move there. Then grab the rest of the people and clear out the rest of the board.

4. I recommend 2 CX-78s, or as my friend John prefers, 2 genesis D-pads. Much easier on your arms than the prolines. :)

1. It's all about the people. They are where the money is at, rescuing them is top priority.

2. The real scoring is on the Brain levels. Watch as the board is assembled, then direct your fire against the biggest clump of them. Grab as many people as you can, as quickly as you can, and whittle down your foes to an enemy or two while you get ALL of the people. Even if you die, you'll still earn two or three free men.

3. Always watch as the board is assembled. Plan to head towards the thickest group of people, and head for a corner. The nastiest enemies are easiest to shoot from the edges because they tend to hang out, or move there. Then grab the rest of the people and clear out the rest of the board.

4. I recommend 2 CX-78s, or as my friend John prefers, 2 genesis D-pads. Much easier on your arms than the prolines. :)

Just what I was looking for, can't wait to take another crack at this tonight : ) Oh and hey, nice job on that 2 Mil!!

So, I don't have a gamepad/joystick at work and decided to give Robotron another try with Keyboard only. Suffice to say, it is quite impossible. My best score was 70,650.

This got me to thinking. I think that one of those flight simulator sticks might be awesome for this game (The kind with the 8-Way directional thumb nub on top of the regular stick).

I am going to give it a try tonight using both prolines at the same time. Might have to tape them down to something though : )

I really didnt think so many people would score so high so fast. I always thought this version of Robotron was great. I tried to play the 8bit version but I cant go back to playing it after playing the 7800 version. Hopefully I will do better this evening.

This game reminds me of 8bit Defender. Everything comes so fast at you and it is all about your reaction time.

Edited by Almost Rice

post-21467-1234922583_thumb.jpg

I am inching up. : )

EDIT :: So I tried taping my prolines together one on top one on bottom. That was useless. I think I need to build a custom two stick controller just for this game. It is a major pain not being able to shoot in a different direction other than the one I am moving. Not so much for the first 12 waves, but after that it would come in real handy.

I did manage to break 500k on the TV with the prolines, but "my turn" was over and I had to move back to the computer to practice.

Edited by xZanU

My previous high score i got playing Robotron on the Pro System Emulator using one controller.

Tonight i played Robotron on the actual 7800. I have 2 painlines, but i used 1 genesis D-pad and joypad to play Robotron.

I'm not using the plastic attachment piece on the joypad. I unscrewed that shortly after i got it. I'm afraid it might break off.

Anyway my new high score-

If i can do better on the tank waves, i think i might be able to get 1 million points or close to it.

I'm doing better! Over 1 million points!

Wave 44

Great news : ) Not sure if I will break a Million, but I'm tryin.

Thanks! I didn't think i could get over 1 million but i did. I'll have to keep plugging away to see if i can get 2 million.

I don't know if 2.2 million points is enough to win this contest. I think somebody might post a score of 2.5 or 3 million points.

The sad thing is that this was the second game in a row like this. The previous one I scored about the same but since I jam the prolines into the 5200 controller couplers, the damn buttons were pressed when the game ended and started a new one before I could remove them. :x

At least I got up to the same level but the consequences are that my hands and wrists are both partially numb and the parts that are not, ache. :ponder:

It was worth it. :D

post-10357-1235102297_thumb.jpg

Wave 59

My wrists don't hurt afterwards. I have nice dual joysticks that say pretty much in place. Only aches a little during play. Once I stop, I have no pain. I will try a few more times before bed. If I do not post again, I did not top my score.

post-7833-1235106252_thumb.jpg

Edited by Almost Rice

We've got quite a lot of good players in this club!

You guys do realize that half these scores are higher than the 3rd place in the world score on Twin Galaxies, right? When I get over this cold, I'm going to play some more. Can't seem to focus long enough to play right now. Damn sniffles!

Wave 74

post-7833-1235109533_thumb.jpg

We've got quite a lot of good players in this club!

You guys do realize that half these scores are higher than the 3rd place in the world score on Twin Galaxies, right? When I get over this cold, I'm going to play some more. Can't seem to focus long enough to play right now. Damn sniffles!

This sure has been the most competitive HSC I have seen in a while. I am not saying that just because I am in the thick of it, but I do not usually notice unless I play.

This sure has been the most competitive HSC I have seen in a while. I am not saying that just because I am in the thick of it, but I do not usually notice unless I play.

It sure is : ) This is the only round I've played in that I can remember that the majority of the participants are actually discussing the game and writing about their experience with it. In previous rounds it is usually me being a blabber mouth with all my posts, with one or two other people doing the same and everyone else just posting a score and nothing else (And one score at that).

There is also usually a big gap in the scores, not with this one though. Some folks started out with huge scores, but it looks like everyone is working their way up to the same field. This is my favorite HSC yet (Though Burger Time was also a lot of fun).

Edited by xZanU

Wave 135 (rolled so only shows 36) I forgot if it went from 99 to 1 or 0. I just noticed it was not 100.

I was on my last man 5 times. I kept coming back and dying and coming back. I had a BAD day at work today and this really relieved my stress. Robotron is the BEST therapy any person can have at the end of the day!

post-7833-1235178955_thumb.jpg

DANG. I hit pause to take the Pic and when over I hit the button and I could not save the score on my CC2. I just have about 6 fuzzy pictures.

The game cycles every from hard to easy after wave 50. I am too busy playing to note how fast. It seems like 5 waves that are hard and 5 easy. Maybe different. I am a bit busy to remember which wave is easy and which is hard. Screw picking up humans on the hard cycle. It is just about survival to score more points and replenish the men during the easy cycle. That is probably the tip that keeps this round competitive.

Good Luck everyone, I will be busy this week and I can only hope my score stands up.

Edited by Almost Rice

post-21467-1235190413_thumb.jpg

Not sure if I can do any better. Any humans after level 31 pretty much evaporate immediately. It is nearly impossible to do this with one controller at that point, I need to be able to fire behind me. Only have one gamepad for computer and have not come up with a way to hold both prolines at the same time for the TV. There should be time this weekend though to come up with a holding contraption for the prolines.