IGNORED

Evil Magician Returns (Adventure-type game)

Byte Knight

One problem I noticed is that if you hold down game-select, the game number continuously changes. It should be a one-shot.

I have no idea how to fix that, although I see Cave In does the same thing... I had to put in a little delay otherwise hitting the select button would advance it to 3 instantly. Here's the code (BTW, I'm quite proud of my castle font!):

title
pfscore1=0
if switchselect then t = t + 1
if t = 15 then t = 0
gosub room11
COLUP0=14
if t < 5 then player0:
%01001100
%00111000
%00011000
%00011000
%00011000
%00011000
%00011000
%00011000
%00111000
%00011000
%00001100
end

if t > 4 && t < 10 then player0:
%01111000
%11111100
%01000010
%00100000
%00110000
%00011000
%00001100
%01000110
%10000110
%01001110
%00111100
end

if t > 9 then player0:
%00110000
%00011000
%00001100
%00001110
%00001100
%00011000
%00110000
%00010000
%00001000
%01111100
%00111110
end

player0x=77:player0y=57

drawscreen
v = (rand & 13) + 2
if joy0fire && t < 5 then temp=0:i{2}=1:i{0}=1:i{3}=1:goto level bank1
if joy0fire && t > 4 && t < 10 then temp=16:i{3}=1:goto level bank1
if joy0fire && t > 9 then temp=v*16:goto level bank1
goto title

That would be something like:

if switchselect && !a{1} then a{1} = 1
if !switchselect && a{1} then gametype = gametype + 1 : a{1} = 0
if gametype = 4 then gametype = 0

Thanks Maus! I'm still not quite sure how it works but it works... (Except the last line should read):

if gametype = 3 then gametype = 0

I agree that the game is not all that graphically pleasing like your games (that shower game is incredible), but I think the gameplay itself is a lot of fun, especially level 3.

Thanks for checking out the game!

For instance, I play the game for time, and have a set route that I take every time. I basically just race down through the "serpentine" path on the left, grab the key, grab the skull, snipe the Red Wizard and go back the same way. Non-random Adventure was also about speed when you memorized the locations of everything, so I don't mind that at all.

So what is your best time? I just finished level one and killed both wizards in 1 min 15 sec...

As far as variables, you have the last 4 playfield variables, they are unused in non-scrolling games, plus at least one of the AUX variables.

Ok, so you're saying var0-var3 are available. Can I rename these like other variables?

Yes. You can rename any of the variables and registers-- e.g., a, temp1, player0x, var0, or even COLUBK, GRP0, TIM64T, etc. But the last four bytes of the playfield RAM aren't var0 through var3; they're var44 through var47.

Michael

As far as variables, you have the last 4 playfield variables, they are unused in non-scrolling games, plus at least one of the AUX variables.

Ok, so you're saying var0-var3 are available. Can I rename these like other variables?

Yes. You can rename any of the variables and registers-- e.g., a, temp1, player0x, var0, or even COLUBK, GRP0, TIM64T, etc. But the last four bytes of the playfield RAM aren't var0 through var3; they're var44 through var47.

Michael

What about aux? Can it be made available?

Is the boss supposed to appear every time? Sometimes he appears and sometimes he doesn't, though I haven't tried out the newest binary yet. It's hard enough as it is!

The boss patrols the maze after you have killed the red wizard and picked up the chalice.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I'm trying to use var44 as a timer in my game and it does not seem to work like a typical variable... If i do: var44=var44+1 it doesn't seem to work. var45-47 behave the same. Am I missing something obvious?

Edited by Byte Knight

Some more commentary:

1) Is there a reason why I can't shoot fireballs up or down as well as right and left?

2) Adventure allowed the player to move laterally while thrusting against a wall. Here, that's not possible, which makes navigating mazes much more difficult.

3) Why are there stripes in the various walls?

When you use the playfield variables, they are reset when the playfield is redrawn. That's why they don't seem to be working for you. You have to reset them to zero or whatever amount each time you define a new playfield. They can still be useful though, I'm sure your game has variables that have to be set each time the player moves to a different screen.

An alternative, if you choose not to use the playfield variables, is to add "pfscroll upup" before each playfield definition; this will increase your vertical resolution to 12.

If you use any kernel options that require the loss of either missile, you can then use the missile x/y/height for three more general use variables.

Edited by MausGames

Some more commentary:

1) Is there a reason why I can't shoot fireballs up or down as well as right and left?

2) Adventure allowed the player to move laterally while thrusting against a wall. Here, that's not possible, which makes navigating mazes much more difficult.

Hi Frotz,

1) Because the sword in Adventure only points sideways... (I need to make a FAQ for this one!)

2) I wish I knew how to do this. Right now, if there's a collision with the playfield, the player bounces back to his previous position. Maybe someone else knows how to do it like Adventure?

3) See above.

Some more commentary:

Hi Frotz,

1) Because the sword in Adventure only points sideways... (I need to make a FAQ for this one!)

2) I wish I knew how to do this. Right now, if there's a collision with the playfield, the player bounces back to his previous position. Maybe someone else knows how to do it like Adventure?

3) See above.

In Adventure, I will frequently carry the sword in front or behind me. It works in those directions too.

I just played your adventure game and I enjoyed it. I nearly jumped out of my seat when the boss romped across the screen at me. :-o I didn't expect a quad sized creature.

Cool! That was the effect I was hoping for! I'm thinking I may have to slow the "boss" back down on level 3. He's quite hard to beat now...

Here's the latest version. I slowed down the "boss" in level 3 - he was kickin' my ass too much. I also made his patrolling of the maze more random, as you could predict which direction he was going to come from. I also added a little logo to the title screen. This will probably be the final version of the game. The next step is putting it on a cartridge and trying it out on the real hardware - should be fun playing it with a joystick and not the keyboard!

emr9.bin