IGNORED

who, of you here have a foot in both the a8 and c64 camps

carmel_andrews

Yep.

Although I don't think I've banged out any code of significance on the C-64 for over 15 years.

Co-authored a book on the Atari while still at school. Sent 3 games in for the C-64 and they were turned into a released book in their own right. Previously had my first C64 game put in someone else's book.

First ever full-time job was doing educational software on the C64, although the company I worked for went down the tubes not long after.

Despite being distant in the "favourites" department, I probably made 5 times or more money doing stuff on the C64 as compared to the Atari.

Yep.

Although I don't think I've banged out any code of significance on the C-64 for over 15 years.

Co-authored a book on the Atari while still at school. Sent 3 games in for the C-64 and they were turned into a released book in their own right. Previously had my first C64 game put in someone else's book.

Which book, if I may ask?

Started out with Vic-20, moved to C64, then Amiga back in the day. After the Amiga, I literally didn't use a computer at all from 1990 until 1993. They were too boring with no personality. Couldn't go to an MS-DOS machine after the support dried up for the Amiga. But I digress. Anyway, I still have (and use) about 6 C64's, 4 Vic-20's, an A500, and an A1000.

Now, I have been getting into the A8 for the past year or so, after getting my first 800. Now, my A8 bit collection is fleshing out with 2 800's, 800xl, 130xe and 520ST.

I still have the fondness for the 64 and Amiga, but the A8's are just as awesome, and it's great to be able to have them all. No fanboy-ism necessary, since we can just have them all now!

Atari: More Games for Your Atari 600XL (Interface Publications/Virgin Books). Not exactly the best title for a book.

C64: Astounding Arcade Games for the Commodore 64 (Interface Publications).

Neither one had anywhere near it's potential success. The Atari one even got licenced and published in Italy... we never saw any money whatsoever from that.

I have 6 or so 8bit Atari's (and looking to add)

2- 130 XE's (one expanded to 320k).

1-800XL

1-600XL

1-XEGS

and one non-working 800XL

oh and I've got a pristine Indus GT with all the trappings (case, software books) I'm really proud of that one.

and 3 Amigas (looking to get rid of, actually through the marketplace here I'm working on some trades)

A2000HD with CDROM and 6MB OS 3.1

2- A500's both expanded to 1MB both old ROM's

The Amiga scene though is boring and no where near as fun as the Atari, hence I'm looking to get out....(one retro platform is enough...lol).

I got rid of my C64/128 stuff a few years ago on Ebay.

Atari: More Games for Your Atari 600XL (Interface Publications/Virgin Books). Not exactly the best title for a book.

C64: Astounding Arcade Games for the Commodore 64 (Interface Publications).

Neither one had anywhere near it's potential success. The Atari one even got licenced and published in Italy... we never saw any money whatsoever from that.

Cool. There's not a lot on Google about it, but I managed to find a picture of the cover.

Yeah. I think I even found one or both listed on Amazon at some stage.

A few of the games are on AtariMania:

Asteroid Storm, Chopper Mission, Escape, Shootout, Time Typist

Probably need to type a couple more in, and should have the rest here in disk images (total was 18 or so). Also Lunar Lander and Moon Shuttle which I did later on.

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-8-...RG_ID-1143.html

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-8-...RG_ID-2561.html

I was C=curious at one point, picked up one at a flea market, brought it home and tried it out. It was a nice little number, but I just couldn't get past how slowly it sucked bits off a disk. Having experienced what Atari and Apple had to offer, I just couldn't bring myself to go Commodore full time.

Nice monitors, tho!

Nice monitors, tho!

Yeah, a buddy of mine got a full C= setup with a 1702 monitor and boy did it look nice. I'd been using my 800 with a TV so I hadn't seen anything like that. Atari really pushed the "use your TV" angle but they should have offered a monitor by the time the XL was out.

Yeah, my 1702 is the best, most versatile retro monitor I've ever had. Picture still sharp, front and back inputs, nice handles on the sides... just an awesome monitor. I also have a newer Amiga monitor that doesn't have nearly as nice of a picture as the 1702. I was very disappointed when I recently got my Atari SC1224 monitor, due to it only having one input that appears to only be made for the ST computers... I haven't researched it more to see if there's any way to use it with anything else, but that's pretty lame.

For the 8-bit machines themselves though, the Atari computers are so much nicer hardware-wise (from a user's point of view) than the C64, C64c & Vic-20, except for the poor keyboard layout (Delete, Break, Caps and Return keys). 800's are built like tanks, but then I guess you get what you pay for.

I think me and TMR actually think of ourselves more as '6502 fans' because there's machines out there with a 6502 at their heart that have interesting hardware stuff around them and are a lot of fun to play with and code for.

Yeah, if it's got a 6502 we'll consider doing something with it (right now i'm mucking around with the C64DTV and having a first look at the BBC Micro. =-) although in my case, i started at the VIC 20, then got an 800XL and C64 in that order so i've got "previous form" as it were.

For the 8-bit machines themselves though, the Atari computers are so much nicer hardware-wise (from a user's point of view) than the C64, C64c & Vic-20, except for the poor keyboard layout (Delete, Break, Caps and Return keys).

oh shit! :-o :skull: :-o :skull: :-o :skull: :-o :skull:

Umm... he means they're both great. Whatever you prefer is better. Ummm... nothing to see here. Move along!

I once briefly owned an Amiga 500. The graphics were nice, but I hated the GUI. Gave it away to a local Amiga guy who lost some machines in a divorce.

I also had an SX-64 for a brief time. That thing was cool, but it died shortly after I bought it.

Honesty, my heart was never in either Commodore product. I'm just an Atari dude I suppose.

Nice monitors, tho!

Yeah, a buddy of mine got a full C= setup with a 1702 monitor and boy did it look nice. I'd been using my 800 with a TV so I hadn't seen anything like that. Atari really pushed the "use your TV" angle but they should have offered a monitor by the time the XL was out.

That monitor was the only part of the setup I kept. I had a succession of Atari's hooked up to it over the years. These days, I use an 19" LCD (my eyes just can't take the small monitors any more), but that monitor kept going and going. I think I had an 1802 or something like that, though. It had separate chroma and luma inputs on the back, in addition to composite. After doing the video upgrade for the 1200XL, I was so, so pleased with the output on that monitor!

Yeah, my 1702 is the best, most versatile retro monitor I've ever had. Picture still sharp, front and back inputs, nice handles on the sides... just an awesome monitor. I also have a newer Amiga monitor that doesn't have nearly as nice of a picture as the 1702. I was very disappointed when I recently got my Atari SC1224 monitor, due to it only having one input that appears to only be made for the ST computers... I haven't researched it more to see if there's any way to use it with anything else, but that's pretty lame.

For the 8-bit machines themselves though, the Atari computers are so much nicer hardware-wise (from a user's point of view) than the C64, C64c & Vic-20, except for the poor keyboard layout (Delete, Break, Caps and Return keys). 800's are built like tanks, but then I guess you get what you pay for.

We did kind of get screwed in terms of output, didn't we? I mean, given what the Atari could do graphically, it's amazing they never cleaned up the XL era video circuits, and never (to my knowledge) put out an XL or XE monitor. How cool an XL themed monitor would have been!

I remember when I switched from 1200XL hooked to a 12" color TV via RF switchbox to an Apple //c hooked to a 12" RGB monitor. I 'bout fell out of my chair. Crisp, clean colors. No bleed or fuzziness. No rolling bands of interference. Nirvana!

It was only years later that I realized I could have had that 1200XL hooked up to an equally good monitor for just the cost of a cable and monitor...and a little solder.

Anway...to get back on topic....

I still sometimes wish I had a Commodore, because so many more games came out for it than the Atari. I could go with an Apple instead, but for some reason it seems much more difficult to find boxed Apple software than Commodore or Atari.

Edited by Ransom

I have a bunch of C64/128 stuff, most of which I got from my sister when she got out of the hobby. Every Gazette every printed and then some on disk; RUN, AHOY, etc. But I bought a lot of stuff too -- high density floppy drives, CMD hard drive, Jiffy Doses, and lots of other stuff. Except I didn't get the Super CPU accelerator. :( Wrote a "DUP.SYS" package in compiled Basic because I missed the good old Atari Dos menu. Also have some Apple IIC+ stuff.

But all this pales before my beloved Atari computers. If there were no Atari, I absolutely could live with a C64, but I don't think I could ever learn to love the Apple II.

-Larry

How cool an XL themed monitor would have been!

The closest thing I know of is the Teknika MJ-10. It's dark brown and white like the XL's and was sold in the '80s. I have one and it's comparable to a 1702.

My new A8 monitor is a JVC TM-H1700GU professional monitor. It has a 17" screen and handles NTSC and PAL. The picture is beautiful. It also has an underscan button which shrinks the picture so you can see what's going on in the borders (did you know that Antic generates random garbage for the last byte when you do horizontal scrolling?).

I mean, given what the Atari could do graphically, it's amazing they never cleaned up the XL era video circuits, and never (to my knowledge) put out an XL or XE monitor. How cool an XL themed monitor would have been!

For a device intended from the start to output to a TV, a monitor is an expensive, luxury option.

The XL series was only sold for two years (and under tremendous price pressure from Commodore, at that). And the XE line was Atari's low end offering. If you wanted fancy graphical output and were willing to spend money on a single-tasking CRT to display it, you were expected to buy an ST. The 8 bit world of sub-$200 budget machines is not a target market that is going to be very enthused with buying an extra, optional box.

Commodore got away with it in part because, even though the margins were small, the staggeringly high sales numbers from the C64 justified some R&D on relatively obscure devices. Atari didn't have anywhere near that kind of sales volume, so they had to be more judicious with where they spend their development money.

The time where a monitor would have made sense, IMHO, would have been in the 1980-1982 time frame, when the machines were still high-margin devices, and when Atari had an unquestioned lead in graphical display. An "Atari 895 Hi-Resolution Color Monitor" would have been a great product.

I have a couple c64's but since they don't have anything that works as well/inexpensively as sio2sd, my c64s sit totally unused even though there are *TONS* of games atari never got that I want to play.

I did buy a c64 sd device, but was told it was worthless and that I needed to spend a truckload of money on a different one that may or may not be better.

and the hell if I'm ever touching another floppy--which seems to be what the majority of c64 users run.

Edited by Reaperman

Can't say I've dipped in both platforms, beyond software emulation, but I just wanted to express how the C64 game library nicely completes whatever the Atari 8-bit couldn't have since its mid-80's commercial support meltdown.

Some games unavailable for Atari, for example, are Crossroads I-II, Toy Bizarre, and Space Taxi.

Has anyone played Crossroads II? A tragically little known gem, really. Easily beats its original template, Wizards of Wor.

The difference in hardware sometimes makes for interesting strengths or regrettable weaknesses. Though later it was pretty much made up for with programming ingenuity.

I still think Colecovision/Adam/MSX had more interesting possibilities, though. With a superficial analysis, you could say it basically had the Spectrum's "high resolution" with the C64's color and sprite capabilities. What about sound? I personally don't give it much importance. The TI soundchip was good enough to replicate the necessary arcadey noises and bleeps. If I want to hear complex music, I'll use iTunes.

Sorry for drifting slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd chip it in anyways since we're talking multi-platform here.

Johnny-Boy

EDIT: Yes, I know about Coleco/MSX's lack of hardware scrolling. The system's best games didn't really need it anyway.

Edited by johnny_boy